ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Just a few statistics I ran across in a magazine article I thought I'd throw out as food for thought:

PT Cruiser----Built in Mexico.

Nissan------Controlled by Renault, which is partly owned by the French government. They have a design studio in SoCal and a plant in Mississippi.

Rolls Royce----Built by BMW.  (They also build the Mini)

Saab------a GM subsidiary.

Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover (the Range Rover is BMW powered), Mazda (part owner) ------owned by Ford.

Ford-----built in Canada and Mexico.

Honda------built in ohio.

Toyota----built in Kentucky (and soon to open a truck plant in Texas)

Daimler Chrysler-----yes, Mercedes owns Chrysler.

Chrysler Crossfire-----built in Germany by D/C.

Pontiac GTO-----built in Australia by a GM subsidiary.

BMW Z4------built in the U.S.

Mazda, Subaru, Izusu, Mitsubishi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz also have U.S. plants.

Last year GM, Ford and Chrysler imported components worth over $20 billion from Mexico. This makes it likely that cars from the big 3 have more foreign made parts than foreign cars built here in the U.S.

Can you say "Global Economy"? I guess the bottom line is that all these cars being sold, regardless of where they're built, create jobs for the people that sell them, service them, insure them, etc.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
To say "Ford-----built in Canada and Mexico" is a gross overstatement.
It is though, a global economy no doubt.

This makes it likely that cars from the big 3 have more foreign made parts than foreign cars built here in the U.S.
You can thank those $35.00 per hour janitors at the GM plant for that.

A German car built here? No doubt the German labor laws/unions are even worse than ours.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
There are also Ford plants in Europe. (mfg'ing Ford brand)
More Ford plants in N America than in all other countries combined.

Toyota also currently has a large truck mfg facility in Princeton, IN.

I don't know that I would blame the poor guy mopping the restroom in the plant...perhaps the blame should be on the UAW and managements that bend over for them.
Funny thing though....vehicles built in non-union plants cost just as much, or more.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Oh come on now... all Hondas are NOT built in Ohio. We just got an Odessy and it came from the Land of the Rising Sun. Same with Toyota.

But you are right.... it's a small, small world now. However, I like to keep my corporate profits here in the USofA when possble.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
What's that saying? "Act Globally -Shop Locally" not sure how it applies anymore - the computer terminal we're sitting at may have had a dozen different countries involved in getting to your home in good, working order. When I was stationed in Europe the #1 auto manufacturer was Ford, probably still is but they look a lot different over there. Boeing, Intel, Microsoft -- you name it they all outsource all over the globe - for the most part a good thing I guess but then you have the worrying statistics on the state of the middle class in the USA and it does make ya wonder, it all comes down to the bottom line - revenues and profits. As a private contractor I know from experience that they keep whittling the bid prices down to where you're only treading water finacially and yet, historically, they are rolling in profit. Still trying to figure out the end game here - if there is one.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
As far as I know, Honda has five North American factories, from Alaska, Ontario Canada, to the three in the USA48. The new Odyssey is an American vehicle, designed and built for the American market.

The only foreign cars which could hurt us, are cars fully imported into the country, with no US input. These cars no doubt incur luxury taxes and high import duties.

Anyone know which cars are fully imported, whole or in semi-knock down kits ?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
whatever, I'll still only buy a Chevy. I just check the VIN for it to start with a 1, cuz that means made (or at least assembled) in the USA.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Last edited:

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
My Nissan Frontier I think was made/assembled in Tennessee. So did I buy an American truck? Not that it really matters to me, I buy based on quality and price. S10 and Rangers, seemed to be of lesser quality and they didn't have a quad cab at the time and were more exspensive.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I say blame it on th North American Free Trade Agreement. As soon as they signed that all the major class 8 truck manufacturers moved across the lines. Navistar, Paccar, Daimler(Freightliner). They all have plants in Mexico and Canada. :|
I may be wrong on this but here in Belvedere IL they build Dodge Neons. If I remember right the PT is built on the Neon platform and they are supposed to retool the plant in Belvedere for the PT. I imagine that depends on if they can actually sell a couple of those P>O>S :debil:

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Thanks for straightening me out there Mr. Boon-Doo.

Makes you wonder why US companies are moving to Mexico, when the Japanese can get the job done here

Might be because they avoid unionization? Or maybe they avoid some kind of tarrif?

bh

Nov 26, 2001
All the Ford super-duty pick-ups are made in Louiesville Ky. At least thats what it says on our truck. And if you go past the plant you see rows and rows of brand new Ford trucks. The corvettes are made in Ky too. Bowling Green I think.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Vettes are and probably will always be made in Bowling Green, KY. as well as a vette framed Cadillac too.

Yes, the Super Duty is built at the Ky Truck Plant in Louisville, however there is also a Mexican plant turning them out. I think the ones made in Mexico are all exports to S. Am., etc...
The rows and rows of new trucks at Ky Truck are only in the lot for a short time. There are approx 700 trucks a shift built. They don't sit long.

Drive accross town and you can see another plant (Louisville Assembly) and you can see rows and rows of Explorers and Mountaineers.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I'm torn between 3 truck models right now as far as my next vehicle, but I don't think that where they're built will play much into my decision. If I buy a full size it will be an American diesel; if I decide on a gasser it'll either be a Toyota or possibly a Supercrew. Reliability and economy will most likely sway my opinion the most.
There's always that decision about whether I want something capable of towing, or do I just want a bike hauler. In the back of my mind I know I can always rent a tow vehicle if it's not going to be often, so that will weigh in also. There are so many good choices nowadays that one needs to research his decision carefully before buying. My next vehicle purchase is probably a year away though, so I'll have plenty of time to compare and a lot can change between now and then. One thing I forgot to mention that was in the article is that the foreign competition has forced the U.S. manufacturers to build better cars, and the foreign cars assembled here are very high quality.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy

There's always that decision about whether I want something capable of towing, or do I just want a bike hauler......  

the very same thoughts I have. I can live with a small truck or crew cab, but in the back of my mind, I know I wil be in trouble if ever I need to tow. The new F150 and Titan with their huge towing capacities, nearly 10,000 pounds each, makes me want to get one just for that reason. You never know when you may want to get a toy hauler or small fifth wheel !

I just don't see myself needing a huge diesel dually either.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by Okiewan
You can thank those $35.00 per hour janitors at the GM plant for that.

I agree, but I am personally biased against unions. You can go only so far earning top wage and benies with 15 paid holidays including Boxing Day off and still shop at WalMart.

Call tech support at Dell and you talking to someone in India who graduated from an American college.

NAFTA did permit alot of companies to cross the borders. I haven't verified this, but I think there is only one major Amercian electric motor mfg (Baldor) that hasn't moved to Mexico or China. Electric motors account for over 60% of the electricity used int he world, so there are tons of 'em.

Are we (or our children) all going to be tourist guides in the future, or will something balance out? There is still billions of people working for alot cheaper in other countries....

BTW, I own a Chevy Suburban ('02) and Jeep Wrangler ('03). If you don't count the VW bugs I had around high school, only had 1 "foriegn" vehicle; '01 Toyota Tacoma. Sweet truck though.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by HomeMadeSin

I agree, but I am personally biased against unions. You can go only so far earning top wage and benies with 15 paid holidays including Boxing Day off and still shop at WalMart.

Call tech support at Dell and you talking to someone in India who graduated from an American college.

NAFTA did permit alot of companies to cross the borders. I haven't verified this, but I think there is only one major Amercian electric motor mfg (Baldor) that hasn't moved to Mexico or China. Electric motors account for over 60% of the electricity used int he world, so there are tons of 'em.

Are we (or our children) all going to be tourist guides in the future, or will something balance out? There is still billions of people working for alot cheaper in other countries....

BTW, I own a Chevy Suburban ('02) and Jeep Wrangler ('03). If you don't count the VW bugs I had around high school, only had 1 "foriegn" vehicle; '01 Toyota Tacoma. Sweet truck though.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Not to be one of those guys that always talks "about the jack booted thugs in Blackhawks". But I wonder how many companies like Honda etc. etc..... that have plants over here, and actually ship some of the cars we build "here", back overseas? Then ship them back over for import/export laws? It probably doesn't happen :think: but there are alot of crooked polititions out there that would do it to line there wallets. As far as Mexico goes, why wouldn't a company open a plant up there? Labor for a couple bucks a hour, jeez, no wonder why the big 4 have gone down hill. The people that made cars back in the old days (the big 4 cars that is) that ran forever, are now making the Hondas and so on. We were just sold out to the japanese buissness man that's all.
I meen look at Zenith. Remember the Curtis Mathis TVs around 70s and 80s that lasted forever. Those were made here in Missouri by Zentih. Zenith TVs (up till the early 90s) were the best ones you could get. That is until they moved to Mexico. Oh well, I'm a little biased, I lost out to Mexico
If they ever put in a huge water treatmen plant in Mexico. The food manufactures will be in trouble :|

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by HomeMadeSin

GE still makes motors in the US (Owensboro, KY)
and Reliance Motors as well (Madison, IN).
I know both of those companies have other plants still in the US also.

Wraith,
When I was in Mexico for about 1.5 months back a few years ago, I was doing work in a plant that makes the seats for Ford vehicles. The average age of the assembly worker was 18, and they got paid ~1-2 dollars a DAY.
 I worked there with an outfit that supplied me with skilled labor. The laborers were of the Millwright trade (machinery and conveyor workers). The General Superintendant of the crews made $16 a DAY.
I got to spend some time with the head of engineering in this plant and he stated that he made ~$5000 a year. He also stated that he had the car he wanted, a nice apartment, and lived like a king.

All the workers in this particular plant were given meals each day for free. This was the only good meal many of them had in a day.

On a side note....the people in Mexico live in the filthiest conditions I've ever seen. It is absolutely nasty just about anywhere you go, that isn't part of a tourist trap.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Not to stray too far from topic but, i can remember when WalMart used to wave the "Buy American" flag higher than any, and now go and try to find anything walmart sells that isn't made in china. The quality of most chinese products simply makes my stomach turn as does the thought of paying 35 grand for a vehicle.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
My full size "american" Chevy was made in Canada but I would like to think that the profits made on the sale of the truck made it back into the american economy instead of getting shipped off to Japan.

Be very careful you don't buy a particular half ton because of the huge 10,000 lb tow rating. The "tow rating" is bogus. Read the fine print. By the time all is said and done, most half tons are limited to about 6000 lbs of legal towing. Don't be fooled by this marketing gimmick.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think maybe Thompson Consumer Electronics are the only US built TV tubes left.

Top Bottom