May 1, 2007
I think that i have decided that I am going to buy a 1989 YZ250WR from a local guy. I went and rode it today and it runs great and everything was fine except for a couple things. He said that the clutch slips sometimes and needs new plates sometime soon. I couldnt tell/make it slip but i will take his word for it. My question is where can I find them and is there a tutorial on how to change them. I am worried that since it is an old bike that parts will be hard to come by but he assures me otherwise. This will be my first bike so I will be learning as I go. One other thing that is wrong with it is first gear is finicky and it will get stuck in it or jump out. I have heard that the WR transmission in it is known to get that way and am wondering if anybody knows a way to fix it. With the wide spread gears I will be just fine without even using 1st gear most of the time but I would still like to get it fixed if possible. It is just to good of a deal to pass up(im pretty sure) he will take $425 for it and I checked it title is clean. He was honest and said that he bought it a yr ago at a garage sale for $450 from a grandpa thats grandson is overseas. Is this a good deal, or is there something I am missing? It ran STRONG and he wheelied it in 4th gear in front of his house. Just seems to good to be true.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
hi, ive owned 2 of these bikes and they are great all round and very reliable. the clutch cant be too bad if it can 4th gear wheelie. however the plates are cheap to buy as they fit several years of the yz/wr engines and easily available. replacing them is not a big job but if in doubt of your mechanical skills then beg borrow or steal a owners manual which shows you how to do the job (along with any other work on the bike you may have to do!).
the gearbox issue is not really a common weak point on the wr250 but can be common on any older 2stroke gearbox. it will be expensive to fix and i doubt its something you would be able to do yourself (big job..motor out, split cases,new gbox parts etc..). cheap option is either live with it, or use a rear sprocket with a couple more teeth to lower the final drive ratio and make starting in second gear a bit easier (dont use first anymore), ok so the bike wont have as much top speed but most people dont use full throttle in top gear all that often anyway.
p.s. lots of second hand parts on sale on b-bay.

May 1, 2007
Thanks guys. I bought it. I plan on draining fluids and changing filters before I even take it out. Is there anything else that I should do? I did some research and the shifter fork for first gear is $53 so when it gets cold this winter I will probably get some help and strip it down and see how bad I can mess it up. If i run into too many problems thenI know some kind guys on dirtrider.net that will try to help me :). Im pretty excited now. What kind of fluids should I run in it? Ive heard antifreeze will junk them up so what do you use? What oil for winter? thanks again guys.

May 1, 2007
Also, the pipe is rusty as hell. My question is could I sand it down and paint it with high temp motor paint or should I just sand it and keep oil on it so that it doesnt rust again? Will removing it cuase me to have to buy a exhaust gasket or somthing like that?(haven't looked t it much yet). Also the chain seems wicked loose to me but I know nothing. I will snap some pictures tomorrow so you guys can see it in all of its $425 glory. haha

May 1, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
SHSPVR, sand it down and use BBQ paint. The High temp. engine enamle will never cure.
Alright will do! Does anybody know if there is a manual online for my bike or a similar bike or where I can purchase one without paying $60 for it? The clutch plates need changed and I do not want to get it apart and a spring or something fly off and get lost. Never done one and know nothing about them, but I am machanically inclined. I also do not even know how to change the oil and get it full to the correct level. Best I can figure out I need a manual. thanks.

Top Bottom