aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
Same here I was just curious about the oil mixture... thanks for the info on the newer oils... they don't need as much oil in 'em as they used to because the newer oils work better I guess?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If that bike was built and recommended to run on 20:1 then what ever frigging oil you run,20:1! This bozo likes this ratio,and this bozo likes that one! Some people(bozos) can do nothing better to help performance than screw with something they have no business screwing with! Get a big bottle of 927 and enjoy the smell! If you have plug issues then find the culprit,do not work and jerk!

aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
Ok I just was wondering if the 20:1 ratio in the Clymer manual was just another "bozo" u know? If thats factory manual requirement for 20:1 then thats what I intend to use! :cool:

aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
I sure hope so! If not of course I just ordered parts for 'em! (oil seals, dust caps, metal slides etc. lol)

How can I tell if they're OEM or not? :whoa:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yellow fork legs smell like simons forks. They were around 79 to 81. I have seen the oem legs yellow and natural,I do not remember if they came yellow. I think yours are oem. The simons were made different.

aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
Ok... well the throttle cable I ordered turned out to be a Kawasaki speedometer cable... obviously I don't ride a Kawa ... nor do I even HAVE a speedometer, lol...

Anyway! Better pics later and soon to be stuff in the restoration area (E.G. Walk-throughs of the rebuild process w/ pictures!)

aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
Wed. Thurs. Friday

= The days I will be working on my bike! Got a new (used) digi cam (for free, lol) so maybe the pix will be better!! :cool:

Stay tuned for those who care... and feel free to post any suggestions about the work I've done after you review it! :fft:

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
I just built an '86 RM80 for my kid and had a lot of fun doing it, stuff that I struggled with ($$$ and availability) were as follows
- Clutch (plates/basket, the guys tend to break the bolts on "dunno watchacallit thingy"
- Water pump shaft and impeller, the same as above it is a LEFT hand thread.

Other than that it was plain sailing and a lot cheaper than buying a new runner for the kid to learn on, at least I know what has been done and how. Mine was really abused but I at least did not pay for the bike it was a gift from familly.

Good Luck!

aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
Thanks... took it out for its first tuning run!

Found out the main jet was wayto rich... (stock is 240 and it was running a 270!)

Check out the video section:

http://suzuki.aphelion79.com/videos.html

Its nothing exciting just a 3 min video on my crappy little camcorder (in macro mode... again... hence the blurriness lol)

------------
Also, when adjusting the pilot screw... it doesn't seem to change much of anything that relates to any bogging or hesitation when you crack the throttle :whoa:

Anyone have any pointers on HOW to tune the pilot jet? lol

QUESTION: Do I just unscrew it until the idle picks up and stop there?
(Also, unscrewing it enriches the pilot right?)

Top Bottom