Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
I have been conitmplating the last couple of months on what bike to buy. I currently ride trails and race (HS, and enduros) on a '99 KDX 200. I have been racing in the 200B class now for 5 or 6 years and I am really ready to move to a different class (Open B). I want to purchase a 300 at the first of the month so I will have time to get used to it before the first SETRA enduro in Sept. (Hurry up Sept.) I have thought about the GASSers but I only know of 1 dealer in NC and am kind of weary about parts and such. I am leaning towards the KTM 300. I know of a dealer that has a "brand new" left over 2001 KTM300 MXC on his floor. My question is how much would be a good price on this model and how easy would it be to get the headlight and taillight from and EXC mounted onto the MXC? Also since I ride more harescrambles than enduros would it make since for me to go with the MXC instead of the EXC? I am excited about getting a new bike but am a little nervous about not being able to get a bike that will be as versatile as the KDX. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
There is a guy in Statesville with a 2000 300 EXC for sale....I think it is listed in cycle trader. It is a buyers market right now, you can probably get a deal.

johnr37

Feb 18, 2002
I have a new2002 300exc with 1 mile on it and I live in in east tenn.2000 dollars in aftermarket parts Im setras 2002 open c champion in enduros .If you want a motorcycle you need to call me.I will save you some$$$$$$$$$$$$$$John 423-543-4794 home 423-677-5794 cell jfisher@chartern.net

oldfatguy

Jul 15, 2002
I just picked up an '02 300MXC for $4,995 plus setup, fees and sales tax from TJ's Cycle in Austin, TX www.tjs-cycle.com. I didn't really shop around all that much because I wanted to buy it local and I figured that it couldn't be too bad a deal...MSRP is over $6K.

Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
There once was a site www.cyclebuy.com that would give your the dealer cost for 6 bucks. When I bought my `98 300 the dealer cost was $4850 if I remember right , it has probably gone up at about the same rate as MSRP.

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
Wow $4995.00 for a new MXC. That sound like a good deal to me. I am really getting the fever to go orange now!!!! I think I would rather have the EXC though. I better start getting the wife (pit-crew chief) prepared for "our" new purchase (that should take a about a week if I play my cards right). :silly: Then I am off to the KTM shop! :aj:

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
a friend bought a 2001 ktm mxc 250 and he has serious shock problems. It has been sent to ktm for rebuild. anyone else had shock issues on the 2001 models?

Greg

Feb 20, 2000
I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. 2000-2001 midsouth series I rode a KDX200 in vet c. Finished 2nd in the points. Last July I bought a 2001 300mxc and rode vet B, plus Charleston and Alligator Enduro. It cost me about $150 dollars to add lights. That was me doing a wiring harness, which is easy. The only place the mxc is a liability is where you need to go over 70mph. For me that was not too many times. In h/s the close ratio tranny is great. I did have mine geared a little higher than stock. Don't worry about the transition, it's easy. Just run high gears where you feel like you're about to kill it. At least coming off a 200 that's what it will feel like. My first impression making the transition was that I was slower. I was definitely faster on the 300 but it took way less effort compared to the 200. I am going to try a 520 this year. I already feel like I've slowed down riding the big beast.

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
Greg,

Thanks for the info. Depending on the price difference I might just go with the MXC also and add lights for the enduros. I am really looking forrward to making the change. I plan on getting the 300 at the first of Aug. By the way how did you like the Charleston Enduro. I was there also. I got stuck in a huge mudhole during the first section. Me and about 10 other riders missed a turn. I lost about 30 minutes there and didn't catch back up to my row until the gas stop. Those sand whoops just about ruined lower back. Maybe on a KTM 300 the suspension might be a little better for those whoops this season.

Top Bottom