kurt15

May 22, 2006
Hello all, i will be going tonight to look at a 2003 kx125. It was raced for one season, wasnt used at all besides the racing. I was wondering if i buy a raced bike, is it going to fall apartthe moment i bring it home? I know that every bike is different, but does the constant power shifting really take a toll on the trans, or the high revving on any other part of the bike?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I am generally more comfortable buying a bike from a racer as they usually take good care of their equipment to keep it competitive. I see your in Winnipeg, any pics of the bike or the ad? I may know who's bike it is as my son races and I have a photo business at the track.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
No chili, it was out in the country by ill d'chene.. WOW those are the sweetest bikes ever, i was going to buy it except for one thing that kind of bothered me... being a kinda "noob" and only having a year on a dr-z125l.. The 1st and 2nd gear seemed to be lacking and kind of sputtered... i'm not sure if i wasnt hitting powerband in the gears maybe? but besides that the bike overall besides plastics is in great shape... No cracks on frame, pipes not even dented, new clutch, was raced 3 seasons and not used beside those... I'd just like some 2 stroke guys to explain maybe that powerband in 1st and second is a bit higher? maybe 1st is a useless gear on a 2 smoker?... thanks.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
My guess is you simply weren't getting the bike into the meat of the power. Was the person selling it last name Plett or Regier?

Last edited:

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Id feel more comfortable buying it from a racer than buying it from some Joe Schmo. Racers often do all the maintenance and take really good care of their equipment because they need it to run in top shape, whereas Joe Schmo will sometimes let maintenance slide.
I wouldnt worry about the fact that it was raced. MX bikes are designed to be raced. At least its a 2-stroke and even if it needs a new topend its going to be a pretty cheap fix. Id be a lot more leary of it if it were a 250F...

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
If the bike was not completely warmed up it will sputter until its cleaned out. Maybe thats why it ran a little rough in the first two gears. Have the owner warm it up for you, then ride it for about ten minutes. Make sure there is no weird noises or vibrations, let it cool and check the fluids, check the suspension for slop, if it all checks out than it may be a good bike to purchase.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Congrats on the new bike. Are you planning to race? Do you have an interest in seeing what it's like at the track or want to improve your skills as a rider? If you do check out the Beginner clinics put on by the Manitoba Motocross Association.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
kurt15 said:
Bought the bike guys, got er for 2900 with some old plastics and the stock muffler, just in case!

congrats on your new bike, and make sure to check out the track that Chili mentioned, its the best place for your bike to be ridden and youll gain a lot of experience there :cool: .

kurt15

May 22, 2006
yeah my buddy has an all out motocross track in his back yrd, complete with a rhythm section, whoops, and a few 60 footers :cool: I might end up going to Beausejour at some point with other friends :nod: Don't plan on racing competitively, i'd love to try it but my parents are very leary on the idea.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Chris was the top 250 Junior class racer last season. He's been bumped up to Intermediate this year one step from Pro. After two racedays in his new class this season he finished 6th and 2nd.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
hey chili, d'you know where i can find any kind of schedule of races going on in like gimli or anywhere in and around winnipeg? i'd love to come watch sometime

kurt15

May 22, 2006
i think some of my buddies and i are going to try and make it to gimli at some point this year... very nice site, love the gallery... Do you race/ have a son/daughter that races?

kurt15

May 22, 2006
So i'm assuming you were always into the motocross thing and he didn't have to persue you to let him race? I can't seem to budge my parents into even saying "we can look into it"... At gimli or beausejour is there any sort of rule that says you need to wear a chest protector or any other types of protection besides helmet, goggles, boots n gloves? thanks for the help..

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I always had bikes as a kid, only raced once because there was no way my parents were going to miss going to the cottage on weekends. After the sacrifices they made all winter for my brother and I to play top level hockey giving up the summer was something that was not going to happen. I bought my kid a bike so him and I could trail ride at the cottage together. I signed him up for a Beginner clinic put on by the MMA so he could get riding tips and advice from a better rider than myself, he's been racing ever since. Obviously your parents can't be anti bike or you would not have the one you bought so you are one step ahead of some. Don't pester them but make sure they are aware how important this is to you and how hard you are willing to work to make it happen (keeping up your grades, chores at home, working part time to pay the costs of racing etc) and hopefully they will come around.

As far as rules regarding protective equipment there is nothing I'm aware of in the waiver you sign on practice days. If you are not 18 you will need a parent to sign the waiver for you. That being said I'm all about the best protective equipment you can afford so do yourself a favour and get a chest protector, neck donut, and knee guards at the very least.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
Hey Chili, I finally talked my parents into letting me go to the track... for a beginner clinic. I'm taking te one out in Gimli and was just kind of wondering what kind of track gimli is... it's not the one with all the sand i see in some of your pictures, is it?:ohmy:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
No, the sand track is Melita. Gimli is a pretty basic track with long laptimes. It has a large stepup jump and the rest are tabletops, no do or die doubles and triples. There is also a small whoop section, a rhythm section and several high speed sections. It's really a work in progress as it is a newer track and is improving all the time. It tends to be pretty hardpack or mud as it's mainly clay based. All in all it's a good track for a clinic, Grunthal would be my choice If could only go to one event on our calendar though.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
too bad, with all the "medical personnel" around, i was hoping of conquering my fear of the big doubles, oh well, should still be a good time, weather permitting

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom