craigeyz250

Jan 11, 2007
So, I’ve decided that it’s about time to get rid of my old ’89 YZ250 and upgrade to either a WR450F or CRF450X. Now as much as I would like one I don’t have the cash to buy a brand new bike, so I’ll be looking around for a mid 2000 model, and for a good deal I’m going to hit the private Market. What’s your advise on things to look out for when buying second hand bikes? What are some of the key things to check, and how do you check for them correctly? Things like piston knocking, low compression, general condition any other critical items to check? Thanks. :cool:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Oil leaks? Smoking? (some healthy engines might smoke a little on startup, but it should clear up soon) My YZ400F doesnt smoke at all. Sprocket wear? General maintenance - look at the oil and the air filter, does regular maintenance appear to have been done? Side to side wheel play? Brake rotor wear? Rev the bike after it is warmed up, does it bog? While riding, does it pop while decelerating? Popping could be a lean condition such as air in the pipe, carb issues, or tight valves. Are the clutch and gears smooth? Check the suspension for leaks and "dampening". Talk to the guy and ask alot of questions...I always try to read them like a good poker player would.

Top Bottom