sj13

Jan 31, 2009
Looking at picking up a used 05 KTM 250SX the guys getting a divorce and cant locate the registration. He will give me a bill of sale with his info etc.. think thats enough? Last thing I want to do is buy it then find out there is something up with it.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Different states have different laws and registration requirements, but here in Oklahoma there are no rules to register a bike. I bought my bike with cash w/o a registration, but it did come with a bill of sale and an online transaction log. It will be fine, but check your local/state laws on registration for off-road specific or closed course motorcycles.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you live in a state that registers off road bikes then I would be real careful. It would have to be a really, really good deal to make up for the hassle and risk that you are likely to be going through.

I can't speak of other states but in California it is fairly easy for a registered owner to obtain a replacement title. It can be done online and only costs about $10 and a new title certificate is mailed to the currently registered address.

There may be an official state form that can be used in place of the title for a situation like this. You would be way ahead to have all the paperwork done up front instead of having to chase the seller down to get more paperwork signed.

Rod

mj4trax

Dec 8, 2009
In my experience, I've found that there will never be any paperwork forwarded by the seller after the sale, end of story.

Scary part is that if the guy does have a legit registration or title for the bike and you don't get it, then he still technically owns the bike and could legally reposess it whether or not you have a bill of sale.

With all that being said, I've never purchased an off-road vehicle with a title/registration included. It doesn't matter for where I ride. .. and nobody bother titleing in the Chicago-run pay-to-play state of IL (title costs $100+ and multiple hours at the DMV and doesn't do anything for you here)

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Almost every bike I have ever purchased has had a legit title, but that doesnt mean that it is necessary. The 05+ 250 SX's are great bikes.

fordmugg

Jan 30, 2010
so he doesnt have the pink or registeration? one thing is go to the dmv and see if they can check if the bike is under his name or option 2 is have him go with you to the dmv to register the bike in your name

In come tacks

Feb 10, 2010
Just cause he may have a title still, I wouldn't worry unless your state says you need to have one for off-road. You can include the loss/lack of title claimed by the owner on the bill of sale, kind of like a mileage statement. "Seller has stated that no title exists and is free of any liens and do transfer possession to BUYER, signed SELLER"
dated this nth day of umpty..

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
fordmugg said:
so he doesnt have the pink or registeration? one thing is go to the dmv and see if they can check if the bike is under his name or option 2 is have him go with you to the dmv to register the bike in your name

I like this one

1st it will tell you if it is registered as stolen or not,2nd while you are there you can ask about all pertinent questions about what is recquired for a dirt bike ownership in you area that way if the bike is not stolen and a bill of sale is legitimate proof of ownership you can walk away knowing that you will be ok

also if he was the original owner and there are no liens against it the manufacture may provide a copy of the certificate of ownership might take some tapdancing that the owner probably won't want to be bothered with

Top Bottom