Buying First Dirt Bike. Want To Turbo. Which Bike? Turbo Info PLZ!

W O T

Feb 20, 2007
So Im getting bored with my current projects. A 88 Honda Crx that I just finished with a big forged motor, big turbo. Lots of fun. And my n/a 225whp civic.

My friends are into the dirt sports, 2 4-wheelers (700 raptor, KFX700) and my other friend has an 05 CR125

I wanna jump into the mix this season and start riding a bike I think.

Im 20 years old. I like to go fast, I like to have fun. Not into lollydaggin arond, we rip trails and rail beds and such, lots of flats and no dunes or sand or extreme heat or anything of the sort.

Im looking to spend as little as possible on the bike itself actually. Im a college student and saving money is a descent priority.

The end result will be to make a semi-reliable (would like to go away for a weekend without breaking down, 3-5 hours of driving) dont mind doing regular maintenance or rebuilds and such though.

The main thing I want a bike for though is for a project. I want to turbo this bike. Because Im known for loving turbos and its just different I guess.

I would love any information anyone has on which bike and type to get. Sounds like a 250 4 storke or something might be a great start. But I dont know much about boosting a bike. What it takes. Where you get oil from and to, where you get your fuel from and how it accomodates for the positive pressure. And if the bike can even handle possitive pressure.

If anyone can give me any info, pictures or advise Id love it.

I searched but found pretty much nothing on turboing a relatively cheap bke

Thanks guys

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Uhh....
I searched but found pretty much nothing on turboing a relatively cheap bke
And what have you found about Turboing a dirtbike?
Useless idea bro. Sorry. Bottom line? A turbo in the dirt is like farting in a bathtub.

W O T

Feb 20, 2007
Its not all dirt, alot of my riding will be long straight trails, railbeds

were 10+miles of dead straights are common

Obivously there are turbo bikes, turbo atvs and comanies that make such products out there with great power and success and hopefully reliability.

Im just looking as to which bike can take it stock and would take very well with it. I assumed a 250 4 stroke, but I know nothing about boosting a carbed motor or how to tune it.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Just get any mx 450 and you will have no time for daggin your lolly. These bikes have been referred to as 1/8 of an F1, I bet you could beat any of those 4 wheelers if you got a 450 2 wheeler. Putting a turbo on it would not be necessary, there are many more mods that add minimal to no weight and more hp than you need.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Actually, I remember seeing an XR 600 or 650 on this site with the muffler tricked out to act like a turbo.

Either way, you're much better with after market parts like an exhaust, cylinder mods, high compression pistons, etc. Turbo's don't really exist in the world of mx.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
W O T said:
Its not all dirt, alot of my riding will be long straight trails, railbeds

were 10+miles of dead straights are common

Obivously there are turbo bikes, turbo atvs and comanies that make such products out there with great power and success and hopefully reliability.

Im just looking as to which bike can take it stock and would take very well with it. I assumed a 250 4 stroke, but I know nothing about boosting a carbed motor or how to tune it.

Yeah...I think I remember back in the mid 80's a company came out with a turbo bike. If my memory serves me right it was Hurricane Motorcycles. They were way ahead of their time. The bikes were 100% made in the USA and had some cool black and gold plastic way different than anyone else. One of the partners of the company was called Bad Billy or something like that. He beat out Rick Johnson and other pros of the time. Sometime in 86 the owners had a falling out and Bad Billy teamed up with his old friend and some blond chick. I never heard anything about them after that. Cool bikes. Turbo rules. :whoa:

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I would try to stay away from a turbo. the reason being is it would most likely be expensive which I dont think you wanted. Also the reliability would be questionable if you want a lot of power just get a 450 put some go fast parts on it and you will think your riding at 150 when your only going 85 90. IMO You really don't need the turbo. If you want it that bad go for it.
Matt 193

W O T

Feb 20, 2007
Im not asking if I should buy a 450. From what I can see, there to expensive and to new. Thats now really what Im into.

Obviously I can just buy the best of the best and be done with it. Thats not what I like

I like making things that arent supposed to be fast, fast. Like my Crx. Coulda bought a corvette for 60k, but I bought a Crx, put 4 k into it and itll walk over a z06.

I was hoping an 95ish-02ish bike would accomodate a turbo easily.

As for expense, I know I can do it cheaply, I can source a turbo and dsm intercooler for next to nothing. The piping and and exhaust and flanges are cake work for me.

What baffles me, is how a turbo works on a carbed 4 stroke, how to keep it nice and stoich with boost, oil feed and return and most of all what bike can take it with the least ammount of money spent yet not break down on every start.

ctdyno

Damn Yankees
Feb 10, 2007
jetting man, jetting, ukno u gotta put bigger injectors on a car, well richer jetting for the bike, same kinda concept

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
First off, what kind of riding experience do you have? What kind of bikes have you swung a leg over in the past? It sounds to me like you have very little experience, so jumping right on a big power bike is just stupid, and you will get hurt. [end old man-like rant]

I don't think "relatively cheap" belongs anywhere near the sentance "I want to turbo a dirt bike". Everything is going to be one off custom, and it will be a lot of trial and error. You can look to ATV's for some answers, there have been kits in the past to turbo Banshee's and Raptors, and probably more. A co-worker has pictures of his brother's turbo Banshee at work. When I asked about it he said it was a super picky pain in the ass that gave him nothing but problems, then gernaded.

If you want something stupid fast, get a CR or KX 500. 60+ hp at the rear wheel stock, and 80+hp is just a credit limit away. By then traction on dirt is by far your limiting factor. You simply can't put that much power down consistently on dirt. I've ridden a fairly worked over big bore CR500 (I believe it was 530 or so cc's). Top gear wheelies at 70+ mph simply required me to slide back on the seat a few inches and turn my right wrist. Keep your foot over the rear brake though!

W O T

Feb 20, 2007
I know jets obviously give more fuel, but throttle position and boost psi wont always be the same, how would the carb know how much fuel to spit at certain psi levels. Then how exactly do I transfer boost from my intercooler into the carb, how would it seal I mean

As for my experience. You nailed it on the button. None. Ive driven countless 4 wheelers, mostly stock. And only sat on a Cr125. Im a big guy though @ 230lbs

I know it might be a big hassle, but thats what Im looking for, a project.

I know most everything will have to be custom fabbed, I can make my own manifold, downpipies, intercooler piping, oil lines and such. Its just the motor reacting to the boost and how to control it, and if a certain bike can take it, or can be made to take it easier is what Im looking to know here

Im not just gonna buy the bike, turbo it and pin it. I know I have to get used to riding, I just wanna buy the right bike, and make sure turboing a carbd motor is possible without spending a grip

Speaking of spending a grip. I know for a fact a 450+cc bike, will cost me 5K+

Id love to keep the initial bike purchase as cheap as possible. aka 2k

**** is my friend

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Man I cant believe I gave this some thought, but yeah dude, Id start with a 4 stroke. 2strokes are VERY picky about what you do with the spent gasses that are exiting. (I.e. shape of the expansion chamber, dents in the pipe etc...)
Piping into an impeller with some sort of diverter would play hell with the thing Id bet.

You are not a dirt biker, not yet, but a gear head who likes turbos. So the challenge of doing this is probably more than half the fun for you I think.

In my opinion, modern racing 4 strokes might not be a good candidate. Those engines are already pushing the limits of engineering. :yikes:

You probably know that certain auto engines do not take well to tuning...weak crank, etc...So along those lines, what is a bullet proof 4 stroke...
Honda XR600? 400? I dont really know, Im a 2 stroke guy!
LOL>.

Last edited:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Buy a used 250cc 4 stroke. Go to Turbocity.com and order the Universal Motor Bike kit with all the hardware. Slap that bad boy on there and the Ghost Rider will have nothing on you. Oh, don't forget to get a bigger (wider, not taller) powerband to handle the turbo.

W O T

Feb 20, 2007
Would be nice for a factory turbo'd bike. I do understand that the auto bikes are useless and the 2 strokes pretty much just arent going to accept a turbo

But I dont know which speicifc motor or bike, can be had for cheaply, and would take boos tthe best. I was hoping some people in here had turbo bikes of there own.

Cause Im sure not every bike will come close to being able to accept a turbo, no oil passages to tap into, weak seals, weak trany, weak clutch. SUPER high compression

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Look I don't know if you some crackpot or if your just seriously missdirected, but if you do some how succed in doing this, I doubt that you will get any type of reliability.
Buy a used CR or KX 500 they will be cheaper then a modern 450ish 4 stroke. Gear them up slightly and no 4 wheeler in the world will keep up to you. AND they will be reliable with very minimal maintenance.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
Uhh....
A turbo in the dirt is like farting in a bathtub.

JPIVEY said:
wait a minute....I got a turbo ???

Cool ... I do to!!!

thumbs said:
Oh, don't forget to get a bigger (wider, not taller) powerband to handle the turbo.

thumbs ... sounds like you know what you are talking about ... so, been there, done that?

Would a 4mm purple powerband be wide and strong enough, or would 6mm be better?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
In 82 or 83, Yamaha produced a turbo Seca 650. The engine was based off of the Seca 550 in a Seca 750 chasis. The production run was small and I've only seen two in the last 20 some odd years. Putting a turbo on a dirt bike as a project? What ever floats your boat. As others have stated, pretty much a waste because of traction issues all other factors aside.
Now, if you can take an XR 200, put fuel injection, intercool, and turbo charge that engine, you will have a great feat of enginieering. I'm suggesting this bike because of the reliability of the engine and its weight. Cost for a used one should be minimal. If you can make a pig into a cheetah, cool. Take that engine and put into a road race chasis or a drag bike chasis and you would probably find a greater potential.
BTW, my turbo has a restrictor plate right now:yikes: and the doc will make a recommendation today, where is Zio and his "colon blow" when a guy needs him!!!!!!!!!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Obviously the purple powerband isn't the right choice for a turbo :coocoo: I suggest buying the red ones, and 6mm looks too thin, make it 8mm :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If you want to be really serious and give yourself a career advancement, find a viable, economical way to fuel inject modern two strokes. Do it with minimal weight and high reliability, easy programable ignition mapping, and readily available parts(i.e. automotive FI). Do all of this while reducing noise and emmissions and you will have people knocking down your doors and you will likely not be on a budget any more.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
W O T said:
Im not asking if I should buy a 450. From what I can see, there to expensive and to new. Thats now really what Im into.

I see, you're into taking some clapped-out POS and making it a Turbo Clapped-out POS.

Maybe you should try riding a high performance MX bike before you try to design one.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
W O T said:
lots of flats and no dunes or sand or extreme heat or anything of the sort.

Doesn't sound like you want a dirtbike.

Dirtbikes is all about the heat, the elements and the challenges you overcome.

If all you want is speed in the shape of a dirtbike for cheap buy yourself a 1980's CR500 and twist the throttle.

If that's not enough try to find yourself an old Evil Knevil Rattlesnake Canyon rocket or something :laugh:

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
BSWIFT said:
In 82 or 83, Yamaha produced a turbo Seca 650. The engine was based off of the Seca 550 in a Seca 750 chasis.
and they were the most useless POS turbos ever. the shaft seals on them were complete crap.

a 2 stroke is pretty much out of the question without extensive work. a 4 stoke would work but...

dont know if the oil pump will flow enough volume to carry the turbo too

the heat from the turbo will either be transfered to the oil (in oil cooled turbos) or to the coolant (in water coolerd turbos) increasing engine temps

fuel management will be a beesh, blow thru carb/EFI would probably be the best bet

can the bike handle the increased HP?

a lot of added weight. turbo, air lines, I.C. if used,

where are you planning to mount all this crap, dont know if youve noticed but there eally isnt too much free space on a dirt bike

Im a turbo fan too, ive got my Vr4, my turbo kz and a bunch of home made turbo turbine engines but IMO its a complete waste of time on a dirtbike. even if you got it all pieced together, the turbo most likely wont last. and unless your damn good at what you do, will most likely just blow up your bike.

these bikes now days have more than enough HP for you.

areaman

Apr 5, 2006
i wached that mithbuusters show and they put a jato on there car and it made it faster i think u shuld putt that on a bike 1 of thos jatos cuz it wuld make ur bike fatser!!!!111!!

Top Bottom