Essential

Apr 23, 2007
Hi all, I'm 29 years old and I'll be buying my first motorcycle within the next month and would very much appreciate any advice you can give me.

1) your physical size?
6' & 180 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you?
above average for both

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?
a few friends have tracks at their houses. They also go out and ride trails and outdoor areas.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
none at all (well, I've ridden my friends bike up and down the rode once)

5) Do you think you will race ?
most likely no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes I can do most of my own bikework and have friends to help with the rest.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I definitely want a 4 stroke.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I have local dealers that sell all the top brands.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Cost doesn't matter.

10) Do you live in California?
Yes.

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
So far I am leaning towards getting either the Honda crf 205r or the KTM 250 4 stroke (forgot the model). From talking with my friends it seems either of these would be a good bike to start with, however I'm getting different opinions on either bike depending on who I talk to.

The pro ktm friends say it has overall better parts, some upgrades stuff like rims, shocks, exhaust, etc. and that it would be the bike of choice. The con ktm friends say I don't need that stuff and it will be more expensive to buy and more expensive for parts and to work on.

The pro honda friends say what an awesome bike the honda is and it's cheaper to buy and parts etc are cheaper. Also they say that honda is wins more races etc. then ktm. The con ktm friends repeat their arguments about the ktm having better parts etc.

Any advice on these bikes or any other bike would be awesome. Thanks.

Essential

Apr 23, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
If your stuck with 4 stroke i would go for a KTM 250XCWF. It is fast and light and loves to be chuged or screamed.

This bike is decent on the track and for jumping too?

Also, I don't know what the california laws are but I'm guessing it's much stricter then other states because, well, california is always stricter on fun stuff.

Jan 3, 2007
Yes the bike can do well on the track as long as you have the suspension setup for your weight. Also, another yes. Cali has much more harsh epa then most other places. It must be the Terminator talking.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Essential:

Since you live in California you should become familiar with the Green/Red sticker issue. Here is the DMV website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

In a nutshell, California discourages the use of two strokes and some four strokes by limiting the season that they can be riden on public lands. Older bikes are exempt, so if you buy a 2002 or older you are fine. If you are going to buy a newer bike then you have to either limit your choice of bike or limit your choices of where to ride.

Red or green it will be a LOT easier if you purchase a bike that has a clear title. You will find a lot of bikes for sale that for one reason or another were never properly registred. If the bike has never been reported as stolen (and that can be a pretty big IF) it is certainly possible to get it registered, but it will take a few trips to DMV and probably one to CHP to get the paperwork straightened out.

Rod

Essential

Apr 23, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
words
Rod

rmc_olderthandirt: Thanks for the link and the head's up. I didn't know about any of that but it really is essential information for cali riders. Cali is really funny about things sometimes.

I'm definetely going to purchase a new bike, since it's my first and I'm at a point I can afford to, I figure I'll just spoil myself!v :)

Top Bottom