Buying my first KDX220 - help please

xxrrider

Aug 16, 2004
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I NEED a KDX. From ages 6 to 18, I rode dirtbikes quite a bit in western PA. Last year at age 30, I got back into it and bought (and still have) a very nice '97 XR400. My neighbor (also an XR rider) has been talking about KDX's for a while. So I go ride a BEAT KDX that was for sale around the corner and BAM - I'm hooked. It's so much lighter and smaller than my big XR and still has enough low torque and revs way better.

I'm losing some of the XR's tractor like bottom end and linear power delivery, but the handling, flickability and fun factor are no comparison. - dry weight of an XR400 is 257 vs. 223 for a KDX!!

So now I'm looking for a KDX in good to very good condition. My XR is worth a little more than $2K so I'd like to stay around $2.5K .

Questions - 1) can I get a very nice KDX220 for that? As a rough gauge, I'd like something that has its original or second rear tire on it. 2) What should I look for - any critical maintainence issues, any good gauges of wear / abuse for a KDX? 3) There is a 1999 KDX 220 for sale here that is advertised to have 50 original miles and has a MI street title (saves about $100 and alot of hassle here in MI so you can ride transfer sections up north) for $2800. Is that a good deal?

Thanks very much for any help/input -
Anthony

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
You can get a pretty good KDX for that. Asking for one with the original or second tire is a pretty big request though. :) I have an '03 and it's on it seventh or eigth tire. Some people replace them pretty often and some run them 'till they're bald. Here's a great site that gives some tips on buying used. Good luck!
http://www.motocross.com/garage/buyausedbike.html

xxrrider

Aug 16, 2004
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the input - Yeah I guess I imagine everyone running a rear tire to about 1/4 tread. I forget that everyone isn't a cheapskate like me! I'll check out that bike here in MI and also one from Tom in Erie on the classifieds on this site - asking $3K for a 2000. Sounds like it's in pretty good condition, about 1/2 tread on the original back tire left - I'm thinking that $2500 would probably be a fair price for that one??
I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks,
Anthony

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
If you haven't picked up on it already, the bearings on the rear suspension / swingarm take a pounding on the KDX. I've also heard that they are light on grease from the factory. If the bike's been ridden, ask if the suspension has been lubed or you may be in for new bearings. Goo dlouck, welcome to the patch. If you're in Michigan, have you checked out the Cycle Conservation Club?

Top Bottom