KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
So I am totaly sold on this bike, however I can't buy one until I get my bonus in Feb. I have been to the local dealers here and they have a few '04's in stock for only $4100 but I am afraid they will be gone before I can get one. So, in the case that I may have to buy used what should I watch out for or should I even take the risk of buying used? I know that if I go this route I may be-able to find one that has some nice mods on it, but with little knowledge of these bikes I could end up buying something that looks good but is a real pile!!!

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Buying a used dirt bike can be real tough.

Install new plastics, do a good power washing and apply a quick spray of WD-40 and a lot abuse is hidden.

Questions I ask and things I look for:

Is the seller the original owner?
Stored inside or in the shed? (stored in the shed, expect rusted bolts and stuff)
Original Parts, plastics, seat cover, grips, bars, chain & sprokets (original parts = an honest amount of time on the bike)
Look under the bike and see if the frame is flatted.
I don't always care if the bike was raced since some race bikes are maintaned very well and worn items are always replaced.
Check out the hardware (nuts and bolts) are they stock and not all rounded.
Of course, start it up and see how it runs, but do this last! The sound of the bike and a quick rip up the sellers driveway will sometimes get us all pumped up and we no longer see the leaking fork and shock seals.

Good luck!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I was worried at first when looking for a used bike, but the more I read about the KDX, and how dependable it seemed to be, the more I thought it would make a good choice.

For what I paid for mine I could spend a lot of money on it for years to come and still have cash left over for new riding gear compared to buying new and having to buy a new pipe, s/a, reeds, shock and fork springs... etc, etc

I don’t see myself ever buying new, for that kinda money I can have 2 or 3 toys!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
wibbys right the 89-94's in good shape are going from 800 - 1000. u can dump about 500 in one and have a great bike. and u saved 2500. i ride with a guy now that just bought a 90 for 800 and it runs great. when my bike was new i babied it. get an old one and thrash it. then fix it and thrash it again

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If you had enough money to look at a 03 for $4100 I think you can do better than an $800 bike. For a nice 95 to 97 $1500 to $2000 is about right. For a 98 to new $2500 to $3000 is what you'll find. Remember 95 and newer have parimeter frames so a 94 or older will bring only $800 to $1000.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I would keep your eyes open.  A lot of people get a KDX and then move on to a thumper or KTM...  Buy one from someone who's taken good care of it and already done the required modifications and you can get yourself a great deal.

alleycat

Sep 25, 2002
Kelvin is right. Buying a good used bike is the way to go. Two years ago I bought my 1994 for 1700.00. It is in very nice shape with the normal bolt on mods. It runs and rides great. A couple of months ago I bought a 1990 for 900.00. It also has the bolt on mods. It runs great but it has needed a little work I will have just under 1100.00 into it. This one is a good loaner bike because it is not to pretty. My most recent kdx purchase is a 1999 200 I just won on ebay for 1625.00. The bike is super clean and this is by far my best deal. If you take the time and look around you can find a very nice bike at a great price.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I don't have a real good idea but the frame comes up to one piece at the top. Thats why the tank has two sides sort of(it hangs down ovet the frame on both sides). This frame makes the difference of old looking bike to new looking bike. It improves handling and suspension. Anything older than 85 has a chunky seat and the suspension is getting pretty dated. Check out the KDX Timeline and look at the difference.

Top Bottom