Byron, IL enduro..Have you been there??

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I am planning on riding the Byron enduro on April 3.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever rode the Byron enduro. I'm curious about the type of terrain that I will encounter. I would appreciate any info that anyone has about the race.

Thanks

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
here's the web site.-> http://forestcityriders.com/Schedule.htm

We are planning a trip there this spring too. never rode it but thought we'd give it a try. from the scores posted in previous years it looks to not be real difficult and a fun ride.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Rode it twice, almost! Crashed and broke the ol collerbone on the first try! :ugg:

First one was in the fall and the next one was in the spring. weather will be the major factor in this one. If it is too wet they will probably cancel so they dont destroy the land. Alot of it is on borrowed ground. This is a very good ride, great club, well organized, marked, the whole thing. They give alot of opportunity to get back on time also.

As far as the course, it is pretty flat. Alot of open field, to catch up on, some road, great TIGHT woods, with a fair amount of logs. No real big hills, just a few small ones.

Thats how it will be if they dont change anything, there are a few guys on here that will be doing all the work they will probably reply here and let us know for sure, (FLYINRYAN).

Great time.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Its a great ride....unless your doing it in a thunderstorm!!!!

I never knew my eyes could hold so much mud

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Great ride unless it's raining and you're on row 11 or higher.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Glad to here that everyone wants to come ride, hope we can put on another fun event this year. We should have around 75 miles again this year. We run two different loops with gas being at the start, and if you can't make 45 miles on a tank bring an extra gas can as we run a gas available that we take a trailer out to. Our terrian is flat and we do have a decent mix of tight and open trails and yes we have good old IL cornfields.

We do need lights mounted (read into mounted, not working) , keeps locals happy. We only have about 5-7 miles of road, but some of it is paved. I do check at the start, a number plate or flashlight will send you back to the truck.

Wont have to worry about riding in the rain as we cannot run in bad weather, we did it one year and almost lost the whole event. Times have changed and landowners don't like huge ruts left on their land, even if it is way back in the woods where no one sees it, they still see them. So we pick two weekends in the spring and hope one works. Then I try to keep everyone updated on the status or not.

The flyer for the event is posted at http://www.forestcityriders.com/Flyers/FCR...yer 05_EN.pdf

Any more questions let me know.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
This is the update I posted on both sites:

The big enduro update:

Well after 3 weeks of walking through frozen corn fields and woods the club has everything arrowed, well most everything arrowed. Looks like we'll have about 75 miles again this year, with one loop being around 45 miles and the other 30 miles long. The gas will be at the start again and we'll have a gas available on the long loop around 15-20 miles out. You'll need two gas cans as we will run a trailer to the gas available for you.

The weather / ground / are we running on the 3rd answers: The weather has improved this week, not as warm as we would have liked but it's been sunny and we didn't get the rain that they were calling for today. It is suppose to rain tomorrow and Saturday though. The ground is thawing, again not as fast as we wanted but it has started. Yes as of today we are still hoping to run on the 3rd. Of course that can change this weekend as we are planning on mileing the event on Saturday. This will give us a very good idea on whether or not we will run on the 3rd or postpone to the 10th. We are truly hoping to run on the 3rd, but if it's really froze and nasty still this weekend, we may chose to back it up to the 10th and pray for good weather. All I can do is post Monday what our plan is.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
We have postponed to April 10th. We tried to mile but some of the fields and woods were just to soft or still froze and we didn't want to damage any of them. The good news is that the rain and snow we were suppose to receive never came and some of the high trails looked great. The weather is also looking better as they are calling 50's and 60's next week.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Do what you gotta do Ryan, see ya on the 10th!!!!!

will pass the word on to those who still live in caves and dont have internet.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Just a brief update. The trails were perfect yesterday. I was amazed what a week of sun and wind did. The places that still had ice on them last Saturday were dusty this week. The best new is the frost is out so even some rain next week won't hurt.

We ended up with just over 75 ground miles. I should have the route sheet down by Thursday and will get it posted on the websites.

See everyone Sunday.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Never mind, I figured it out. ;)

Last edited:

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Thanks everyone, glad everyone had fun.

In case you ran into the old guy in the woods and weren't around before trophies to here about who he was I have explained it below:

The club had permission to run the small timber section. What happened was the landowner didn't tell his father in law that he gave permission to us, so the old guy was the father in law trying to keep every one out of that timber section. I talked to the landowner as soon as I heard what was going on and he actually apologized to me and to all the riders for the mishap. Hopefully next year he won't be out there yelling and waving sticks at people

I'm also trying to get the scores posted but it won't be to Friday at the earlist.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom