IMG_0837X.jpg

Here is what I did:
- Cropped
- Reduced overall brightness and added overall contrast
- Sharpened overall a tiny bit
- Added border

What I would like to do:
- Reduce exposure on my right arm and helmet
- Get some more brightness on my left body side (especially on leg)
- Add some blur to the background in order to focus on the rider

I'd like some tips on how to do what I would like to do. I've searched for a tutorial for exposure, but can't find anything helpful. How do I add some blur to some areas? Anything else I should do to make it better?

My goal is to get better with Photoshop; I doubt I will ever print this photo. Also, the quality seem to drop when I resized the picture. Any tips?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Personally I find the picture a little too contrasty. There's no detail in the rider's center or the tires - it's pretty much all black.

For composition, I think a lower angle would work a little better.

That said, it's still a decent photo that I'd show friends if they asked about riding.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks for your reply. The shooting angle is quite high. The one who took this picture is my step-father. He has a broken foot so he was sitting down at one single spot.

Here is the original:
IMG_0837.jpg

How do I play with exposure, but in one specific spot with Photoshop? If I add some brightness, then my body is ok, but the rest in too light.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks Okie!

Last edited:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
It sounds like what you need to do is make a selection around you and the bike and then copy that onto it's own layer. That way you can just change the levels of you and the bike, exclusive from the background, and vice versa. That would also allow you to blur just the background, however, most people will be able to tell that you've simply blurred the background in Photoshop rather than doing it the correct way in the camera.

I see where you'd also like to lighten/brighten certain areas as well. Just be aware that there should be some lighter areas and some darker areas in order to give the shot some depth. If you tweak those areas too much and they start to have the same brightness you may find that the overall shot looks a little flat.

I'll see if I can find a minute or two to show you the possibilities when you make a selection of the rider and alter the rider and background independently. [HINT]If you already know how to make a clean selection of the rider, get it so you see the "marching ants" (so it looks like the outline is blinking around) and then just hit CTRL and J. It will make a copy of your selection and apply it on it's own layer.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Okay, so here's a real quick stab at it. I just saved the full-size image you posted, which has already been resized, so you'll obviously want to start with the full image to get the best results.

I re-cropped it, made a selection around the rider, copied that onto it's own layer, sharpened the rider and adjusted levels on the rider.

Then I made a copy of the background, blurred the top copy a bit, applied a layer mask and painted in the sharper version that was underneath it. That's the quickest way I could think of to build a fake shallow depth of field.

Just keep practicing with this stuff and you'll really start to get the hang of it. You just have to think a certain way when you work in Photoshop. So if you have identified your problem (you want to lighten only a certain area) just figure out how to isolate the area you want to work on.

Also, keep in mind that if the photographer can get closer to the subject, or use a zoom lens you'll get a better image to start with (ie-you won't have to zoom in or crop tight on a small image).

Attachments

• trial07 copy.jpg
    trial07 copy.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 236

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
A friend showed me how to select precisely and correctly anything. We had selected JSR from one photo I saw posted here in an attempt to create a sig. Here it is:
RIDERRENDER.png

I don't remember how we did it so I'll have to look it up also (I know we used the Alt key a lot).

I think I understood Levels. The problem was to apply this to only a portion of the image. Kawidude told me how to do so.

I have already fiddled with layer masks a while ago and had encountered some problems to eventually abandon the whole thing. I'll try to dig up a better tutorial this time.

As I said, the photographer was not very mobile due to a broken foot so he was parked at one place and stayed there. He just bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT with some other lenses for more zoom. I doubt he will ever share it to me so the pics I will be taking will be with a Canon Powershot A60 (don't laugh). Is there any way I can get that blur to the background with that camera?

Thank you for the precious advice Kawidude!

BTW would you suggest re-cropping?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Don't give up on the layer masks. They can be very valuable once you figure them out. They allow you to alter things without technically erasing any of your image.

As far as the camera, I'm not real familiar with the A60. If it has a Manual mode, then hit Google and look up "aperture" and "depth of field." It will give you a good starting point for achieving the look you're going for.

I just re-cropped it to give it a little different feel. There are a bunch of people that will tell you about the wrong or right way to crop. I think it just comes down to what you like better. Google something called "the rule of thirds" too. That'll get you going in the right direction. Good luck!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
The A60 does have a manual mode. I'll try looking into what you suggested.

I just got a tutorial on how to do a clean selection with the pencil tool, but I'm unable to do it correctly on the photo. I think it would be best for me to practice on something simpler and then give it a shot on the photo once I figure it out.

Thanks again Kawidude!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Okay, I practiced the pen selecting tool with something simple (an apple). Am now here:
penselectingtoolhelp.jpg

How would I work on only the selection? How do I save only the selection? I'm a bit confused in the sense that I want further modifications to affect only the selection. Is this clear?

BTW, I know I screwed up at the bottom of the apple :|

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
IMG_0837X1.jpg

This is my 5-minute rush job, and I am no wiz with photoshop. First i selected the rider, copyed him to another layer, reduced contrast, then I blured the background using gaussian blur ranging from 5.0 in the furthest parts, and 0.7 in the lower left corner, then i merged it down. I don't think that photoshop would be the best way to get blur though.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
trial_07 said:
Okay, I practiced the pen selecting tool with something simple (an apple). Am now here:
penselectingtoolhelp.jpg

How would I work on only the selection? How do I save only the selection? I'm a bit confused in the sense that I want further modifications to affect only the selection. Is this clear?

BTW, I know I screwed up at the bottom of the apple :|

That's looking pretty good. So now just do what I said in the earlier post. Go into your Path tab on your palette and click the "marching ants" action (I think it's the third from the left on the very bottom). It's the one that will make it look like the outline is dancing around the object. Once you have the outline dancing/blinking just hit CTRL and J (on a pc) and it will automatically copy and paste it into your palette on a new layer of it's own. So you can then tweak just the apple or just the background. Another nice little tip...if you ever do something you really didn't want to do in Photoshop, just hit CTRL and Z. It will take you back a step. If you want to go back a few more steps, hit CTRL, ALT and Z. Hope that helps.

Nice work there Patto!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Usually I delete it in the history, but thanks for the shortcuts!

I got it! I need to click on background in that palette at the bottom right of my screen and then hit Ctrl+J. I was pressing on Ctrl+J when Shape was selected, so nothing was happening. Anyway, I'll try taking a shot at the photo tonight.

Thanks for all the help!

It looks good patto3, I'll look into the Gaussian blur afterwards also!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Never mind this post. I figured it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom