CA DMV - Trials and Tribulations

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
OK... so I originally purchased this 1990 KDX 200 from some guy I found off Craigslist who wanted $750... I asked for $650 because of the dirty condition.. he came back with $675.

So fuggit... I said ya gotta deal. Then he tells me its registered for the street and was last registered in 2005.

Since he's got all the lighting taken off the thing... and I don't plan on riding this thing anywhere on the street... I figured I'd just goto DMV and tell them to drop the Street part of the registration... explaining that it doesn't even have the proper equipment for that anyway... then I'd just pay back fees on OFF-Highway part of the registration which would no-doubt be way less.

First time I go to DMV with the pink and all that... I explain the situation frontwards and backwards and plead my case about why should I be forced to pay back street registration when that was no fault of my own.... not only that... it would be paying all sorts of money for something which I cannot legally use anyway since the bike doesn't have any of the lighting hardware on it anyway.

So on this 1st visit...the DMV employee.. (we'll call her "Rotunda" for short due to her behemeth size) says I'll have to pay the back penalties on the dirt-registration which I did :pissed: then she had me fill-out and sign a "STATEMENT OF FACTS" in which I eloquently explained that the machine not only liked the hardware... he didn't even have a plate to give me.. nor do I WANT OR NEED to have it street registered.

Fine... they send it to Sacramento...

All the paperwork comes back... :| and there's like this cryptic doc list a buncha fee codes etc... the other side of it stating that basically I'd have to first make the registration current before it can be converted to OFF Highway registration.

Way pissed... I call the 877 number they list... explain to some younger kid who answered from a call center in Irvine. Seemed like he was there with me and understood the dilemma... tells me look like I need to just fill-out a form REG397 ...blah blah blah...

2nd visit to DMV... tell them about the form.... they take a millenium finding this particular form because it's not listed on there on-line electronic index of forms... turns out... looks like it's a form a dealer would fill-out for a brand-new bike.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

By this point it's taking absolutely all my self-control to remain pleasant and try in vain to utilize my powers of logic and reasoning with this new chick... end of talking with her... she's all talking like I'd have to bring the bike in so they could inspect it to verify it's now in a dirt-only condition blah blah blah to allow us to then fill-out a form to convert to dirt only reg.

I'm sitting her trying to get to think about... what does that matter.. I could have a friggin Harley or something for christ sake.. and if I come walkin' in the door sayin I wanna make it dirt-only registration.... fuggit... you should be fine with doing it... because in doing so ... it obviously would make it then illegal to ride it on a street... so what does it matter what kinda equipment it has or not.. right?

I then get passed-up to a supervisor kinda dude.

He explains/shows me that this particular bike was apparently registered ON-HIGHWAY since day one... not like your typical dual-registration that you'd normally see for a plated bike in Cali.

So I further try to logic and reason with them that this must mean the bike was originally purchased/registered in some other state since I know for a fact I couldn't street reg this kinda bike in Cali nowadays.

So anyhoo... I explain to this guy there ain't no way in hell I'm paying an addition $271 on top of the $146 I ALREADY shelled-out towards this bike... especially when I only paid (cough) $500 (cough, cough) for it... and especially since it would be paying for a plate which I couldn't legally use anyway since it lacks the apppropriate hardware!

This guy offers me something at least.... he removed all the previous PENALTY fees... but says I'll still have to pay the reg charges for prior years.. $87. I'm like fine... whatever.. if it'll get me outta here.....

and get this.... when the title and this plate hit my door... I THEN have to GO BACK with the title and plate and apparently pay a freakin conversion charge to go dirt-only.. he said he thinks it's like $45-ish.

Man... this "good deal" bike at $675 is turning into anything but.... but dang it... I'm already commited into it anyway since I've begun the process of restoring her and purchasing needed parts to refurbish her and bring her fire back to life.

This sh!t better run DAMN good by the time I'm finished with her.... that's all I gotta say.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
That 8.00 really makes up for it. I am trying to title a street bike and I have to haul it 120 miles round trip just to get it titled even though it isn't even running yet because the local DMV are not qualified to inspect the vin. Gotta love this state. But I also have to put it back together in order to get it inspected, so it is all fun here in the sun. It'll be worth it once it is done.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
XMotoX said:
At least you stuck it to 'em there. :cool:

As far as I know.. EVERYBODY does this though. They're gettin' slightly wise to it though... it has to somewhat jive with the lowball BlueBook numbers. If you site a ridiculously low amount they just charge registration fees based on the lowest/poorest condition values for the model on Kelley Blue Book.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
We all lie about or prices on our bills of sales and jip the DMV that way. The DMV must wonder why every car/bike is worth only $200.

MaicoCPA

Sep 5, 2006
If you're in Garden Grove I assume you were dealing with the Westminster DMV? Every time I have tried to register/change registration/title on an ORV there it has been a major hassle.

If you are an Auto Club member try them. At least the employees there are not inbred tacobillies and they can understand more than a three word sentence.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
TheGDog said:
As far as I know.. EVERYBODY does this though. They're gettin' slightly wise to it though... it has to somewhat jive with the lowball BlueBook numbers. If you site a ridiculously low amount they just charge registration fees based on the lowest/poorest condition values for the model on Kelley Blue Book.
Yeah thats true. Everyone I know does it, but like you said, you can't go in there saying you got a 2000 dollar bike for only 200 bucks. You gotta be reasonable and you can get away with it. I mean, when I bought my KDX from a local guy and he was filling out the transfer title, he said fill in my own price. I paid 1800 but marked it as 1400. At least we can still get the DMV back somehow.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Here's a question...Speaking of DMV type issues.... if you felt like it would be justice to take out the photo-enforcement hardware at a particular intersection as payback for the unfair ticket you got for not coming to an absolute totally dead stop before executing your right-hand turn... and it was an infraction that you feel... for sure... no vehicular officer would bother to cite you for because you executed the turn oh soo slowly and cautiously....

if you were gonna take-out the photo-enforcement camera poles... how might YOU do it? Hypothetically speaking... of course.

Just spray-paint the housing glass black?
Home-made explosive strapped onto base of pole and detonated?
Directed micro-wave beam to melt the solid-state circuitry housed within?
Slather acid around base of the poles/housing night-after-night until it eventually weakens and falls?
Sneak up with a pre-filled compressed air tank with an impact driver and the huge socket wrench needed to remove the base mounting bolts?

What do YOU think would be easiest to execute... quickest to execute?

And be creative!

Last edited:

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
TheGDog said:
Here's a question...Speaking of DMV type issues.... if you felt like it would be justice to take out the photo-enforcement hardware at a particular intersection as payback for the unfair ticket you got for not coming to an absolute totally dead stop before executing your right-hand turn... and it was an infraction that you feel... for sure... no vehicular officer would bother to cite you for because you executed the turn oh soo slowly and cautiously....

if you were gonna take-out the photo-enforcement camera poles... how might YOU do it? Hypothetically speaking... of course.

Just spray-paint the housing glass black?
Home-made explosive strapped onto base of pole and detonated?
Directed micro-wave beam to melt the solid-state circuitry housed within?
Slather acid around base of the poles/housing night-after-night until it eventually weakens and falls?
Sneak up with a pre-filled compressed air tank with an impact driver and the huge socket wrench needed to remove the base mounting bolts?

What do YOU think would be easiest to execute... quickest to execute?

And be creative!
Watch "THE ITALIAN JOB" then make a good friend out of a computer hack.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
ridejunky said:
Watch "THE ITALIAN JOB" then make a good friend out of a computer hack.

I think I saw movie. Can't remember it though.

I can figure out ANYTHING computer related, given enough time.

Associate01

Jan 26, 2001
76GMC1500 said:
We all lie about or prices on our bills of sales and jip the DMV that way. The DMV must wonder why every car/bike is worth only $200.

:ohmy: Speak for yourself. I don't lie about the price on the bill of sale. That is just the same, morally speaking, as stealing. Plus I figure it will come back to bite you somehow...(probably when you are on a trail 50 miles from nowhere....) things like that come around one way or another...

plus why compromise your morals over the taxes due on $175 ? That really isn't that much...

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Associate01 said:
:ohmy: Speak for yourself. I don't lie about the price on the bill of sale. That is just the same, morally speaking, as stealing. Plus I figure it will come back to bite you somehow...(probably when you are on a trail 50 miles from nowhere....) things like that come around one way or another...

plus why compromise your morals over the taxes due on $175 ? That really isn't that much...
+1.. :nod:

Hey, I have been to Shingletown :cool: Lots of fun riding! & Auntie Bo's donuts :nod: :cool:

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
The taxes saved on the 175 is the 8.00 that I was referring to. Guess that it would be closer to 14.00, still not much compared to what it is costing you extra.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
What a bureaucratic nightmare! You guys should come up to Canada, the land of the free. Hey.....didn't they say that about the U S once upon a time!

Flame shields to full power.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
On another topic, it is 70+ degrees right now where I am at in California and last weekend I was riding in a t-shirt and I expect to be riding all winter as well (just don't ask about the summers ;) ).

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
know_fear said:
What a bureaucratic nightmare! You guys should come up to Canada, the land of the free. Hey.....didn't they say that about the U S once upon a time!

Flame shields to full power.

I'll tell ya man... I'm a SoCal native... but.... there are many times when I feel fed-up with Cali's Law-Crazy Ultra-constrictive B.S.

So... I can't ride a dirt bike unless I drive friggin almost 2 hours North, East , or South... and yet... they want to clamp down on 2-strokes... because of their pollution.

How much gas did I burn-up driving the car to bum-*****ed Egypt? And I don't know about you... but realistically... it one day... I can't go thru that dang much pre-mix. You get sore and form blisters before you could go thru a 5-Gal can. And... being a working dude... it's not like I can't just jump right into maint/prep chores right when I get home so I can go right out the next weekend. So I'm thinking at the very best... I could do 1/2 trips a month... and that would be pushing it... and now.. quite frankly.. affording the fuel to get me out to TimBukThree (farther than TimBuktu...get it?) each time.. in itself... makes it cost-prohibitive.

But what really burns my *****ing hide is how the cops rarely ***** with busting all those stupid-ass chopper d!ckheads with ridiculous loud exhausts. Some of these dudes get their kicks with rumbling down the Blvd's on their loud fart-belch sounding machines taking pride in the fact that they set-off everybodies stinkin' car alarm along the way.

Sheeet... they bitch about crime and all that... well hell... let us have relatively close-by easily accessible public lands near to LA and OC then. If off-road'ing where more affordable and accessible to people in ghetto-ass areas... the kids in these areas would have an outlet for aggression... AND it would give them a reason to straighten-up and fly right because if they didn't... pops could suspend riding priviledges... and not only that... pops could say the kid would have to pay for maintenance stuff.

Dunno about y'all... but as a kid.. hell yeah I'd bust my ass flippin' burgers or whatever if it would keep me out their ridin, and doing what I love and what exhilirates me!

Sorry about the venting people... it's just that often in forums.. you hear about all this accessibility and great places to ride from the members which live in other states... and it freakin pisses me off because we have like the 3rd largest state in the union... yet somehow... finding a close-by place to ride is difficult.

And don't even get me started on how they closed down Saddleback...... AGAIN!

Last edited:

know_fear

May 19, 2000
Maybe things will change when people find out those fires were caused by the hot catalytics on the vehicles of the environmental agencies as they inspected growth rates of the brush!

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Don't bet on it. That would be reasonable. I have been to LA 3 times, and hopefully that will be it. I spent more time in traffic there last time than actually spent at the beach and seeing the downtown Hollywood area. I grew up in the country in Idaho so I rode as often as I wanted in the old gravel pit with jumps, climbs and fast stretches when not working on the farm.

Thats why I picked a smaller city in CA to work in when I moved down here. Less than 30K people and the local police don't bother kids and adults who ride their dirtbike on the road to and from the BLM land as long as they keep their speed down. So, five minutes of riding on paved and dirt roads and I am in the hills and sand. Still miss the more hands off approach that the gov in Idaho had.

Best of luck to you. And I second the idea of more riding areas, I see lots of the local kids here riding out in groups to go ride in the desert and have fun rather than roam the streets causing trouble.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
know_fear said:
Maybe things will change when people find out those fires were caused by the hot catalytics on the vehicles of the environmental agencies as they inspected growth rates of the brush!

HAAA HAAAAAAAAA!!!! Oh Man!! That one got me laughin' but good!

(Nerdy nasal-y Park Ranger voice) - "Alrightily dightily... everything looks like peas and carrots here... guess I'll just skip-l-dee-doodle on back to the ranger station then!"

(Phwoof!... first bush ingites...!!!) :p

Top Bottom