CA Street Conversion / WR250F

njw

Apr 18, 2001
Anybody done a street legal conversion of a WR250F yet in California? How did you get around the red sticker issue? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Call Baja Designs. If there was ever a bike I'd go thru the hassle for, that's the one.

------------------
Noscitur ex socio, qui non cognoscitur ex moto artem

njw

Apr 18, 2001
I'ver talked to Baja Desgins, they are having the same problem now that the red vs. green sticker issue has come up. If you get a red sticker, CA will not issue you a plate after a conversion. There only suggestion is to get street legal registration out of state and then bring it back in after 90 days. There has got to be another way.

------------------

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Don't look good if you can't work it out with Baja Designs; they strike me as the DMV legality experts. Only other instance where I have direct knowledge is a buddy who had his out of state sister buy and license the bike, wait six months and then apply for a CA plate, which CA can't refuse.

------------------
Noscitur ex socio, qui non cognoscitur ex moto artem

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
Get a statement of fact from a dealer/mechanic with the correct language indicating that all the necessary mods have been made to make the bike street legal. Then go to a small DMV with your title, and registration and ask for the change of use forms etc and file them. Even if you have a red sticker or your bike has the wrong type of VIN # you should walk out of there with a plate. The key is to go to a small DMV.

------------------
ktm 520exc
xr440

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
I just transfered title on a red sticker bike into my name at a "small" DMV. DMV has placed a computer hold on registration changes on any RED STICKER bike. The computer tells them to call a phone number and the person on the other end cleared them to make the change! It startled the DMV person and me.

Good luck getting around it, it looks like the "Big Boys" at CA DMV are making it harder! :(

------------------
Chris
'00 CR250
'95 KDX200
'99 CR80
'99 Buell X1
'97 HD Sportster

Top Bottom