YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
The West Michigan Trail Riders (Im a member) is going to be out there this weekend clearing out all the fun obsticals that the DNR wont let us keep.

Its looking like we are going to be short handed. So I am putting out a plea for help.

When: Saturday 5/17
Where: Caberfae staging area located at the entrance to Caberfae Ski resort right off 55.
Time: 9:30am

We have to clear out the 5 mile connector trail, the trail south of the connector to State Street then the trail North...way north to the Grand Travers County line. What we really need is a few street legal bikes that can head North of 30th street and work that section as its looking like I am the only platted one in our group and Ill have my son in tow so Im out for that section.

So if anyone is interested in helping let me know and Ill get ya more info. You'll need to be an existing CCC member for insurance reasons.

Thanks

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
We will be north of Caberfae planting trees on Saturday morning with the DNR. We do plan to go for an afternoon ride around 115. We will help where we can to remove the obstacles. Most of our group are trail maintenance veterans as we are responsible for the cross state connector.
I know what you mean about being short handed. I hope we can provide some assistance to your club.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
That would be awsome if you could keep an eye on the single around 115. That is part of our trail and we always have a hard time getting up there. Just getting the main part of Caberfae is usualy enough to wreck us.

If nothing else than keeping an eye on downed tree locations and any missing sinage would be a great help. Because its federal land we need a Certified chainsaw person to take the trees out. Or just give the Fed's the tree location and they will do it for us.

Edit: Actually, I was just informed, the 115 trail is on State land and we can use a chainsaw uncertified. Not that it will make any diff to your ride :cool:

I always hate begging for help as it makes me feel like we are failing as a club by not getting enough members out there. But if our members are busy it is what it is.

Keep me informed. Thanks. Its really apreciated.

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
We are not that familiar with the trail in that area and I do not have my MCCCT map with me. If we can not drag a tree out of the trail, we will let you know where it is and the nearest road crossing.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Im not real familiar with it either. Ive been thru the 115 trail 2x. Once when we built it and again on my MCCCT Safari. And were supposed to be the ones that maintain it...lol

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
fatherandson said:
We are not that familiar with the trail in that area and I do not have my MCCCT map with me. .

Well I may be of help. Plant some trees, ride some new stuff, saw, saw, clip, clip. Don, is N of Boon Rd. the section you refer to?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yep North of Boon. Basicaly the "caberfae" single stops at 30th street North of Boon and becomes 2-tracks for a bit before hitting single right before 115. Then its single for about 5 miles north of 115. If you guys hit the single north and south of 115 that would be awsome.

North of the 115 single track its all 2-track up to the grand travers county line (as far as we are responsible). I may run up there Sunday after the Blessing in Baldwin and run that section on my Vstrom.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
YZMAN400 said:
Federal land we need a Certified chainsaw person to take the trees out. .
I'd like to hear more or see links how to get certified? There a dangerous beast for sure!

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
70 marlin said:
I'd like to hear more or see links how to get certified? There a dangerous beast for sure!

I can't make this trip but here some info one of the members sent me a few weeks ago.

The U.S.F.S. is making some noise about all Trail Maintainers using
chain saws in the National Forest must have training and be certified. The
Baldwin Ranger District is planning a training/certifying class for May 31
and June 1 (a two-day affair) in Baldwin or White Cloud.

They have one or two openings for that class. Do you have anybody
willing to take this training?

This is a list of required accessories for the class:

Hard Hat
Sawyer chaps
Long sleeve shirt/long pants
Leather work boots
Leather gloves
Hearing protection
Eye protection
Saw

If you or one of your Club members have questions, give me a call.

I did'nt know if I should put the phone number on a public forum but if your interested P.M. me or YZMAN. He probobly has the same one.

Top Bottom