Calif OHV parks enforcing noise regulations

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
OHV parks throughout California will begin enforcing the 101db noise level very soon. The testing has already begun at many OHV areas. The current 101db limit (CA) will not last long, there is discussion among a stakeholders group that will lower the current noise limit. Most likely, 94-96db.

If you ride a modern, water cooled 250 2-stroke your bike is probably in the 94-96 range. Yamaha YZ four strokes are 101 plus. ISDE riders have had a 94db rule for many years.

Lets make "Quite Bikes" cool in this thread. Tell others what steps you have taken to make your bike quite, without sacrificing power.

My 01 CR250 is 94db. FMF Spark Arrestor. I re-pack it at least three times each year. I make sure everything is greased up, kickstarters and brake levers tend to rattle. New exhaust gaskets and high Temp silicone around the head pipe also help.

Dave Wood

Brett

Feb 18, 2000
Thanks for the info.

I just got my yz426. The first thing I bought was an FMF powercore Q. So supposeldy im running at 93 DB. Also, I heard that the decibal testers are not valid yet until the state comes up with a certified Tach. that they can hook up to the plug wire and test each bikes decibel level at a given RPM.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Okay, what I want to know is, how many decibals are these un-corked street Harleys puting out- you know, the loud, obnoxious ones that never get pulled over? Why is there an enforced decibal limit out in the toolies, but the street bikes go un-noticed?
Don't get me wrong- I believe we should keep our bikes as quiet as possible, without too much power loss, and I re-pack every time my silencer becomes less effective. I'm just tired of the double standards.

LoP

Jun 17, 2001
Harleys

LOL the hogs dont get pulled over because there ususally being ridden by big ignorant stinky men that have no respect for the law..let alone noise ordinance.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Yeh, I know some of these guys. I wouldn't pull them over either. Not when you can get the 16 yr. old, 130 lb. kid on the GSXR. I was just flaming 'cause to me the issue is land use, not noise. Any excuse to shut us out!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
We were at Middle Creek 8/11 and got sound sound checked while parked at Penny Pines. The rangers were doing it for practice and to let us have time to 'fix' our bikes before they start issuing $75 citations in Novemeber. They were using a German vibration tach that they set on the rear fender behind the seat. Not sure how well the vibration tachs work but they said that it was the 'certified' unit.

Here's how the 5 bikes in our group fared:
Me: '99 WR 400 with stock muffler & Thumper Racing insert - 95dBA
Tami: '97 CR 125 FMF silencer (I think) - 94dBA
Kali: '00 TTR 125 with Engines Only pipe - 94dBA
Scott: '85 CR125 - 97dBA
Wes: '99 GG250(?) - 93dBA

I know my bike was at 95 - I think I got the others correct. The only one that was close to 98dBA was Scott's CR125.

Brian

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay, what I want to know is, how many decibals are these un-corked street Harleys puting out- you know, the loud, obnoxious ones that never get pulled over? Why is there an enforced decibal limit out in the toolies, but the street bikes go un-noticed?

THAT is an excellent point. Unlike many others, nothing bothers me more than some old-tech, 65 hp 1,100cc pig motor that sounds like a vw with no pipe. Rumble is cool, but damn, straight pipes (correct term?) actually hurt. I just don't get it.

You had to know that as soon as the trend started going towards cleaner burning engines, they'd come up with another reason to complain and don't be shocked, as soon as they get the dirtbikes baned, bicycles will be next. Then, certain kinds of soles on boots... you know they can disturb the soil too... The day will come when you'll need an airplane to see OUR forests.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
as soon as they get the dirtbikes baned, bicycles will be next. Then, certain kinds of soles on boots... you know they can disturb the soil too... The day will come when you'll need an airplane to see OUR forests.

I beg to differ, sir. Birkenstocks will always suffice! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
In 1991 I was riding in Seqouia National Forest and the rangers had set up a check point not too far outside the parking area. They were doing sound checks with some kind of hand held meter and were issuing citations on the spot with no opportunity to go back and make your bike quiter to retest. If you passed they put a colored sticker on your bike. If not, you got the citation. My KDX200 with the FMF pipe and Answer silencer passed, but I don't know what limits they were using back then. I no longer live in The Peoples Republic of California so I'm not sure how they are doing things these days.

cackle

Mar 30, 2001
This is probably another "tool" to restrict off road use in "our" national forest. However, There has always been a sound limit in California but it has never been enforced except at certain enduros. I would say that the new 4 stroke craze has contributed to this. Most people "uncork" their 4-stroke as soon as possible with a aftermarket pipe/silencer. I can hear the uncorked thumpers two mountain ranges over when out riding. I remember reading in one of the magazines about 4 stroke aftermarket pipes and all of the ones tested were over 102 db.! Play the game or we will lose our right to ride. I agree the the street bikes get away with loud pipes sometimes but we are a small group (offroaders) and are easily targeted by those who would deny us the right to ride. My KTM 300 measured 92 db at the last enduro I raced. It's not hard to see that the "green weenies" are out to get us anyway they can.

Cackle
30 + years offroad riding and loving every minute of it.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I'm thinking my Xr4 might be questionable on the sound meter, with supertrapp style aresstor. Nvrfnsh, does that vibration tach measure air and sound at idle? The bike is quiet at low speeds, but when revved is loud. If I dropped the amount of disks from 12 to 10 would that quiet the bark down?

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
Wait a minute LT - I wear Birkenstocks....

Brian

I'm sure you'll always have access to the forests then. If you want to bring your bike, though, you may want to start inventing the riding model soon.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
There is now way any one of us should be suprised at this turn of events. You know the fight we are up against in preserving our riding areas. Any issue can, and will, be used by our antagonists to block our rights to ride.

When it comes to sound levels, I find it ironic that we, as dirt bike riders in general, complain about loud Harleys, but don't recognize we are just as guilty. I like, really like, motorcycles and I think Harleys are too loud. You know a modern four strokes is too loud when you ride behind one and can't even hear you own bike.

Imagine what a non-motorcyclist is thinking. I'm not tailking about eco-extremists, they're so biased their opinions are not worth our time. It's the average citizen we should be worrying about. When we get on the wrong side of the average citizen with this noise issue and they will be fodder for the eco-nuts.

Noise pollution is a page out out of an old book. There is a long history of noise being used as an effective tool to shut down airports and race tracks. Unless we want to fall victim to the same strategy, we should all embrace quite(r) dirt bikes.

Whoops

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I have absolutely no problem complying to any db level imposed, as long as we are able to ride in areas that are that sensitive.

Heck, maybe Dunlop and Birkenstocks could put their heads together and give us a tire that the Eco-nuts would like.

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
We need to quiet down the 4 strokes. I live on the outskirts of Hollister, about 6 miles from Holl. Hills SVRA. Before the racing 4 strokes were abundant, when there were races you could barely hear the bikes, sounded like a drone of bees off in the distance. Now, I can hear the 4 strokes loud and clear every weekend. I love the sound, I'm into bikes, but I can imagine it must really get on the nerves of non biker types.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
My 2-stroke is very quiet when it's not 'on the pipe'. One of the simplest things we can do, besides quieter mufflers, is slow down when we are approaching non-riders.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Fremontguy - not sure how the vibration tach works. I keep meaning to try and find the webpage for the company. The rangers had a pocket reference guide from MIC that listed the test RPM (1/2 redline, I think) for each bike back X years. Reducing the number of disks will reduce the noise from your XR4. The ranger said they tested a YZ/WR with a White Bros E-Series & it was at 106 dBA:o

I ride one of the 'obnoxious' new 4strokes and I think they're too loud.

Brian

cackle

Mar 30, 2001
I agree that the noise level of the four strokes is WAY TO LOUD. I had a ATK that had a aftermarket pipe and I could set car alarms off on the whole block when I road up and down the street! I have always kept my silencers packed and ran the proper spark arrester. I can remember riding in the seventies with my dad and him telling me that it was important to think about other users when riding in the forest. It is not hard to quiet down a motorcycle. As long as we can continue to ride I am all for sound checks at any riding area. Europe has had sound restrictions for as long as I can remember and that is why euopean (KTM E/XC) motorcycles come from the factory ready to go. You may lose a little in performance but the gains are access to riding areas

Cackle

IM12RSPCT

Aug 21, 2001
Well, I can see it now. Lawnmower police giving tickets and checking noise levels. I mean what's next? Where does it stop. Silencers on blenders because the neighbor can hear it. The way I see it, why should I have to quiet down my stock 426 when it came like that from the factory. Sure its loud but that should be an issue with the manufacturer, not the consumer. Airplanes are loud. Bikes are not. If you want peace and quiet, go to a library. Or somewhere else where bikes are not allowed. Leave us alone.:silly: :p

Top Bottom