Calif. Red sticker/green sticker question

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I hear about these sticker issues and I am curious about something. I read where some older bikes are given green stickers when newer models of the same bike gets a red sticker.
Would a used bike that could be green stickered possibly be worth more in California than where I live in Kentucky? I realize there is a shipping issue, but I was just wondering if there might be something to it? Thanks for any input.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
showtime586 said:
Would a used bike that could be green stickered possibly be worth more in California than where I live in Kentucky? QUOTE]

showtime.

Could be, but probably not that much more. By the time you consider shipping it would probably even out. Another thing, there is a glut of used bikes in Kalifornia. Not easy to sell one.

That's my $ .02

tator

Feb 17, 2004
It would only be two years worth of bikes 2002 and back are green stickers and they don't enforce the red sticker issue that much in most places.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Ol'89r is right, I've been looking for a pre 02 ( green label ) so I've been watching the sale adds a lot, bikes are selling cheaper outside of Ca. but with the shipping it balances out.

I've seen the same bikes listed time after, I've watched a 99' KTM 380 drop 400 bucks in 2 wks

Also, Tator, The BLM is out in force now, looking for sticker and any other violations they can find, they handed out 25 at a recent race, so be warned

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
The Green / Red sticker law was not inforced until July of 2003 because they wanted to give the public enough time to get all the information about the law prior to handing out tickets, after april 30 red sticker bikes will not be allowed in 70% of the SVRA parks however some areas will be open all year around you just have to drive 2-4 hours depending where you live to get there.
JPIVEY is right about bikes selling cheap, i have a 01 Suzuki RM 250 with all the latest mods and performace items and i am asking $2500 for the bike i have about $5,000 into.

Hope that helps.

Rich

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
I got a red stiker ticket for my 03 cr250. It was second ride out and didn't even have the sticker yet, they had to call in the vin number to give me the ticket. Makes me wonder if i should have upgradded from my 2000 to not ride half the year :( The ticket cost me $143 bucks, trying to find a way around it now. I actually had a green sticker on it from a mini bike but they called that in and it didn't come up right. They actually are calling in stickers to see if they match the bike and everything. This happened in gorman, didn't even get to ride the bike, the cop said if i put it back on my pickup he won't impound it. :(

-brent

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
ouch, they are out in force from what I've heard as well. Keeping my green sticker bikes for a while for sure.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
The new Honda CRF 250X is green sticker legal, i was at a dealer last week and he told me that for $150 in parts you could upgrade it to a CRF250 motor, its all a big game right now the damn motorcycle company's should have seen this coming and had some sort of fix like the 04 250X has, it makes me wonder if the 05 Yamaha and Suzuki will have somthing similar and the people who bought bikes between 03 and 04 are going to left out to dry.

I heard Yamaha has a lawsuit against California for outlawing thier bikes, I hope it all works it self out within a year or so.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
What does the dealer do to the X to make it like the R? I just bought an X and I like it alot but was wondering the differences. I like the low end power instead of the upper portion for tight trail stuff, does it lose that?

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
as of right now there is a small group of people on man in general that is working to fight the whole red sticker system... in the yamaha shop i work in we are handing out these flyers to everyone that rides it talks about all the faults of the red sticker program and how it is actually loosing california money in order to enforce it plus those people that cant rdie during the summer at State parks which that money goes toward the state of California, they are using the issue of the budget crissis as a way to get arnold ot do somthing, anyays its basically a petition u sign it and mail it to the govoner and hopefully if he gets flooded with enough of these he might do somthig about it its a long shot but worth it, ill try to pick up another flyer from work tommorrow im pretty shure the guy behind this has a website or at least an email.... finally someones fighting back.....

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Can Can Kev said:
as of right now there is a small group of people on man in general that is working to fight the whole red sticker system... in the yamaha shop i work in we are handing out these flyers to everyone that rides it talks about all the faults of the red sticker program and how it is actually loosing california money in order to enforce it plus those people that cant rdie during the summer at State parks which that money goes toward the state of California, they are using the issue of the budget crissis as a way to get arnold ot do somthing, anyays its basically a petition u sign it and mail it to the govoner and hopefully if he gets flooded with enough of these he might do somthig about it its a long shot but worth it, ill try to pick up another flyer from work tommorrow im pretty shure the guy behind this has a website or at least an email.... finally someones fighting back.....

Please send a copy of that petition to me if possible, or if someone can host it I would greatly appreciate it.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
a454elk said:
What does the dealer do to the X to make it like the R? I just bought an X and I like it alot but was wondering the differences. I like the low end power instead of the upper portion for tight trail stuff, does it lose that?

I really do not know what the dealer does to make it like the CR but the man who told me about the fix was from Berkeley Yamaha Honda. Ph: 510-525-5525 ask for Scott

Top Bottom