California and the green stickers

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
I just bought a 99 KX500 here in Arizona where I now live. I plan to do a lot of riding in California with it. Gorman and Desert being the primary areas. I am the third owner of this bike. The guy I bought it from said the guy before him did have a green sticker on it when he bought it. My question is this. When I come out to California, can they give out guest pass green stickers right there at say Gorman when you go through the gate? Also, is there a way to tell if your bike falls under the green law? I do know the its supposed to be red for all 2-stroke bikes after 1995 and most racing four strokes. The KTMs and other Euro 2-strokes get by because of funky VIN #s. Anybody have or know of a site that talks all about this? Thanks.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
red

Actually, it's red for 98 model years and later (anything manufactured after Dec. 31, 96). Note that most 98 models were manufactured in that latter part of '97, 97's in the latter part of '96 and so on.This applies to all two strokes and any four strokes that don't meet emissions requirements.

Your bike definately is a red candidate, but you can assure yourself by looking at the VIN#. If there is a C or a 3 in the eight digit, it's red. Many of us in California have the offending digits, but still get a green sticky (because it was applied for when new). The DMV probably doesn't have the manpower to check the eighth digit of every dirt bike registered.

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Thanks for the info. Just checked my bike and it does have a C in the 8th digit. I guess the guy got his green sticker for it when it was new like you were saying.

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
the desert where i ride don't really care about green sticker (jawbone) but gorman does, and they also require a spark arestor too. As for the guest pass thing i think they have such a thing but not at the gate, i would think you would have to get it from dmv, maybe if you tell them that you once had one but moved to arizona they might give you another one or something of that nature. But i would give dmv a call first and go from their, if they can't do it they will know who can. Good luck.

-Brent

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
here i found this information maybe it can help you:

Non-Resident Permit: As of January 1, 1998 you will need to purchase a special "Non-Resident OHV Permit" if you are not a California resident AND your off-highway vehicle or snowmobile is not registered in your home state. To find out where these Non-Resident OHV Permits can be purchased and to get more information on the program, please contact a local Ranger or contact the OHMVR Division at:

California State Parks - OHMVR Division,
Non-Resident Permit Program
P.O. Box 942896 Sacramento, CA 94296-0001
(916) 324-4442 E-mail, pubinfo@calohv.com

-Brent

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. BTW, I am still a California resident, but I might try registering the bike in California to see if I can get a green sticker for it. Thanks again.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Ramski,
If the bike is registered in AZ you shouldn't have any problem ridnng in CA. Two guys I worked with in '99 were in LA on temp assignment from AZ & we rode Gorman/Hungry Valley & Rowher Flat w/o any problem. He had his AZ plate and the ranger at Gorman didn't have any problem with them.

The post from Brent is for visitors w/bikes NOT registered in their home state. Sounds like you are a resident of AZ as far as bike registration will be concerned.

Brian

Top Bottom