California - green sticker requirements

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
Does anyone know what the smog emissions guidelines are for Calif OHV purposes. What standards must be met in order to get a green sticker? I can't find any info on this. All I know is this: Any bike manufactured before January 1, 1997 is grandfathered. Gets a green sticker no matter what. Any bike that is manufactured after that date that has a C or 3 as the 8th digit of their VIN does not meet smog requirements and will get a red sticker! end of story!!

Why can't I take my non-conforming VIN bike re-jet it and get it smog checked. If I can lean the jetting out enough to get it to pass smog requirements, and I get a smog certificate that indicates my bike passes smog requirements, then I should be able to get a green sticker right?

I am sure somebody must have tried this by now. Anybody??

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by Ricky
All I know is this: Any bike manufactured before January 1, 1997 is grandfathered. Gets a green sticker no matter what. Any bike that is manufactured after that date that has a C or 3 as the 8th digit of their VIN does not meet smog requirements and will get a red sticker! end of story!!

Yup. End of story. California Air Resources Board (CARB) dosen't give a damn if your silly dirt bike gets a green sticker or not. Nobody will hear your argument. I do know the standards are very strict, as a DRZ w/pumper FCR carb is no good, while a DRZ with CV carb is. And the pumper could be hardly consitered a smokestack. Ah, well. From my experience the rangers are colorblind as long as your current and have a S/A. :D

Last edited:

socaltrlrdr

May 8, 2001
Ricky,

Excellent point!! The limits are, in kilo grams per liter.

1.2 hydrocarbons (HC)

15.0 carbon monoxide

Check out WWW.BBTR.ORG and go to the links page. look at the C.A.R.B. emissions requirements, and then send them an e-mail. Good luck and let us know if you have any success.

Top Bottom