ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
I hate to see anyone lose thier homes and businesses, this just sucks. i hope everyone can bounce back from this. remember when the Renthal factory burned down.....

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I flew into and out of LA on Monday night. The smoke and fires were quite a site. The smoke was so thick it looked like the clouds. It's all you could see for miles.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I was wondering if there are any DRN members that are in danger. I saw on the news last night that they were concerned about a house that had several 55 gallon drums of racing fuel in it and the fire was getting close. It could have been a biker's house.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Thanks for the link Pat. My parents have friends in San Diego that were 1/2 mile from the fire on Monday and were ready to evacuate. They haven't heard from them since so hopefully that got out OK.

I see from the map that the fire hasn't jumped into Mexico...must be 'cuz of the wall :debil:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
There are about 20 different fires going right now. It's pretty ugly. San Diego county is getting hit very hard. The good news is the wind is going away and we should have some on-shore weather patterns coming in. That will bring cooler and wetter air.

The closest one to me is right over the hill in Santiago Canyon about 15 miles away. It was in Scar's neighborhood two nights ago but no homes were lost.

We knew this was coming. Bad drought and the frickin' enviromentelists have prevented homeowners from cutting the dead trees from around their homes in the mountains. The bark beetle has moved in and now all of the trees are dead and ready to burn.

If any DRN'ers in So Cal needs help to evacuate, give me a call. I have a truck and trailer.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Got word from MrLuckey & Kiwi they are OK so far with some fires a few miles away. :cool:

Thanks for the update Terry!

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
My buddy Tom lives just outside San Diego. Just had a new house built and moved in to it this summer. He had to evacuate and leave his XR 400 behind. If the house burns to the ground he can have it rebuilt as good as new. Finding a new XR 400 is the real difficult task. He can't move back into his house yet as his area is still in peril (300 homes destoyed a mile north of his house) but he has been allowed to go check on it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XR's don't wear out they just lose some shine :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Keep us updated guys. We will help out if we can.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
There is no one in the crew that is in danger that I know of. Some are in areas that are close to the fires but will be OK. I know of others that have not been as lucky.

The fires and winds left a few of us (Mxbundy, 2strokes4fun and myself) stuck in the desert after a district enduro. Highways were closed so we had to hang out in the desert for another night and missed work the following day. We did manage to sneak in a nice 40 mile ride in on Monday before we packed up and tried to get home. About 3/4 the way down Hwy 14 we came to a complete stop and watched the fire as it jumped the road about 500 yards in front of us. My wife was kinda freaked out. CHP pushed us all to the far left lane to get by the fire and then closed the Hwy about a mile behind us.

Winds have died down so that should be a huge help in the effort to get these fire put down. Smoke and ash are everwhere. In Irvine you can't even see the sky no matter what direction you look.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I was wondering about you guys! I flew into Ontario Tuesday night and was able to see the fires burning down below on the way in. Very smoky all over the place; hazy, smoky, air smelling like a campfire. The Hertz rental car people were all wearing dust masks. Very surreal. Being very close to it but not in danger.

Glad to hear you're okay Thumbs, Terry, Bundy, Eddie, Kiwi, et al.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
They've had us working round the clock with help shutting things down and getting residents out. It really sucks right now but there's light at the end of the tunnel, thanks for the thoughts
Elk

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Elk?! What the heck is he doing here? Did you get lost? ;)

Glad the reports are mostly good news so far :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The Santiago Canyon fire has moved up into the Cleveland national forest and is only about 4 to 6 miles from us now. They evacuated a retirement community about 3 miles South of us yesterday due to bad air quality. The smoke was coming over the mountain and setting in the valley. There was no wind and the smoke just filled the valley like a bowl. I was coming back from Norco and coming into Temescal Canyon, the smoke was so thick people were stopping on the freeway and were afraid to drive into it.

The good news is, the weather has changed. The humidity is up and the wind is down. On shore weather patterns have replaced the off shore and Santa Ana wind event. If the weather stays the same, they should be able to get it stopped at the top of the mountain. If the wind comes up, all bets are off. :ohmy:

Bad news is, this is only our first Santa Ana wind event of the season and there is a lot more fuel available to burn. This could go on until January or February. In fact, some of our worst fires were in January.

Thank you everyone for your concern and thanks to all of those that have called to check on us. :cool:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Glad to hear you all are doing well. I hope they get this under control soon!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ol'89r said:
This could go on until January or February. In fact, some of our worst fires were in January.

That gives us a few months to start doing controlled burns as the weather allows. I've heard in an 'average' year, the Santa Ana winds peak in December.

When I was a kid in Orange County (1970's), controlled burns at the edges of development were common, and fire breaks were well maintained. I guess the environmentalists have removed the controlled burn from the fire fighter's arsenal.

BTW, I've lived in various locations in California for about 36 years, and seen wild fire flames from my home on 3 occassions. 2 of those 3 fires were on land that has since been fully developed with houses. Until we start implementing practices that were common 50 years ago, damage from fires will continue to increase as our population grows.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I was lost but now I'm found, right in the middle of the smoke pit we call SoCal. ;)

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
We housed 2 families from Escondido due to fire and smoke. Fortunately, they are now home. Smoke is still thick just east of us (Temecula) due to the Palomar fires. As far as closures, it is my understanding that Amago (used to be Planet X) burned. That track is located in the La Jolla indian reservation of 76 near Lake Henshaw. We had gone to Ocatillo Wells this past weekend and barely made it back in time before they closed HW79S due to the Aguanga fire/ and Witch Fires. Sooooo sad. We had plenty of room for everyone though, since we had the trailer we housed the older teens in it. We also had 2 dogs and 2 cats, none of whom knew each other. It was quite lively at our house! Mark, my husband, was unable to go to work (he's a marine officer)due to Fallbrook closures and Camp Pendleton Fires, but he wasn't complaining. He and the kids enjoyed the "snow" days. Today seems to be a good day. Kids start back to school, husband went back to work and the air quality is getting better and better each day.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Glad to hear your safe Petra, as well as everybody else. Too bad about Amago, hope they open back up soon! :cool:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Thanks Ricky, yes, very sad about Amago. It truly looks like a moonscape out here. Saw the firefighters in Fallbrook today. They look absolutely exhausted and weary. Although that fire is 100% contained, they have to continue to monitor hotspots.

Top Bottom