California's Riverside County passes drastic restrictions

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
California's Riverside County passes drastic restrictions on off-road vehicles on private land.

The Board of Supervisors in Riverside County, California, has approved drastic restrictions on the use of off-road vehicles on private land, ignoring pleas from families who ride and setting aside compromise legislation recommended by the Board's own planning commission.

The Board also approved new sound ordinances that are so strict a homeowner could be in violation if he operated an electric toothbrush at his property line, in some locations.

Under the new laws approved by the Board on March 28, off-highway riders can only ride from noon to 5 p.m. on their own property in the unincorporated parts of Riverside County.

Landowners can only allow one off-highway vehicle to be in use for every 10 acres of land, with a maximum of four vehicles allowed. Landowners can have more vehicles in use than allowed if they have the written permission of their neighbors. But to have more than four OHVs using the property, a landowner must get a conditional use permit that could cost up to $10,000.

Plus, under the new law, riders must stay 100 feet from property lines and 250 feet from neighboring homes.

The Board of Supervisors also gave final approval to a new sound law that sets maximum allowable sound levels at the property line at 45, 55 or 75 decibels, depending on the zoning of the parcel.

According to the League for the Hard of Hearing, rainfall generates 50 decibels of sound, a normal conversation is 60 decibels, an electric toothbrush is 50 to 60 decibels, and an air conditioner measures at 50 to 75 decibels.

While the sound law doesn't specifically target off-highway motorcycles and ATVs, it was written in part as a result of noise complaints about off-highway vehicle riders, and also to address loud music at private parties.

Riverside County is the home and practice ground of racing heroes like Jeremy McGrath, Rick Johnson and Jeff Emig. Also, Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Suzuki and Kawasaki have test facilities there. And the county is home to almost 30 OHV-related businesses, plus 48,000 registered OHVs.

OHV enthusiasts in neighboring counties should be concerned because officials in those counties have been closely following the developments in Riverside County. If those counties impose similar restrictions on OHVs it could have enormous implications, since there are more than 150,000 registered OHVs in the neighboring counties of San Bernardino, Orange and San Diego.

Plus, the U.S. Forest Service is proposing new restrictions in San Bernardino County related to OHVs riding on private property, emitting fumes, and noise, which could result in fines of up to $1,000 and 90 days in jail.

The Board of Supervisors approved the new restrictions and ignored carefully crafted compromise legislation hammered out over a period of months by the AMA and other off-road groups working with the county's Planning Commission.

© 2006, American Motorcyclist Association

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
I am all for getting our bikes as quite as possible and having respect for land and our neighbors but this is a little ridiculous. :coocoo: I wonder what the factory teams will do now???

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
That's rediculous. Can't even go riding on your own property whenever you feel like it. What's next, restrictions on who is actually allowed in the county? I can't believe they actually passed that.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Who are these people!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
This is the fight that McGrath was working on, seems as though they could give a rats arse who gets involved. Riverside County has pushed it over the edge and it sounds like there's no turning back. Now you can't even ride on your own property, what in the hell are they thinking? Each day I get more and more less likely to tell people that I live in this fine state, the state of confusion.

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
someone had better get an lawyer on thier side and tell these jackasses that these big damn lawn machines are off road vehicles too and they're damn loud! so they better stay 100 ft from the line and 250 feet from your house or call the cops!, man i feel for you guys! just got off my loader making some new jumps out back!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I've had a neighbor threaten me with "action" (?) to make me stop riding my KDX200 ON MY OWN LAND. My lawyer says he has a very weak case in the best of circumstances, and thankfully the noise ordinances in my county don't seem to apply to OHVs, but this Riverside County thing resonates with me.

That is so unfair. I guess the best they can do is get the AMA to contribute cash in the next election to help sweep out those commissioners and sweep in some people who are more reasonable. If I was a neighbor of one of those SOBs who filed a noise complaint, I would call the sherriff EVERY TIME that sucker cut on his lawn mower. I'd buy a noise meter, take measurements, and raise hell every time he farted.

If every OHV industry in the county pulled out, I wonder if those *******s would miss the tax revenue??? They didn't happen to pass any anti-arsehole ordinances, did they?

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
just another case that shows your land really isnt your land, its sad that we do ruin things for ourselves sometimes. when we see a guy on a crusty video with a pit bike motocross track in his back yard clearly in a small nieborhood or development we think wow thats so cool, but the truth is the people who live near him have been listening to him build the track , practice, have his buddy over to work on the track, try different jumps, party, hang some lights, do a little night supercross under the lights or a complete fmx show complete with music!!

while the lady next door with a sick 2 year old who has to go to word tommorrow is trying to sleep.
Guys we have to tread lightly, yeah i know it sucks, but we are a minority and although we should have the right to do as we please on our own land, people around us also have rights on thiers.

If we dont police ourselves these types of laws will be everywere, we should definatly fight this, and use common sence when we ride so only truely unreasonable people complain about the sport we love.

gearhead730

Mar 25, 2006
I live in what used to be a rural area, about 10 yrs ago people started moving out my way when they retired.First thing they do is want peace and quiet? What about the people that lived their first rode their bikes on their own property and moved into the country so they could ride without grandpa complaining about those dirt bikes! Have neighbor that built his house fifteen feet away from my big garage.BOY DID HE GET A SURPRISE WHEN SPRING CAME AROUND. Any how he called the sherriff they told him he moved the country thats what we do here and their is nothing they will do to me about it as long as its quiet by 10.The legal system needs to wake up and think more logically. WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE KIDS RIDING OR GETTING INTO TROUBLE. Racing and bikes kept my butt out of trouble thru school and my interest in wrenching on them has led me to a great career!!!!

Top Bottom