Vinnyl26

~SPONSOR~
Dec 8, 2000
Ok, I am in the market for a 2001 DR-Z 400 I am wondering for those of you who own one, how do you like it? What kind of extras do you have? Have you had any major promblms with it? does it feel like a heavy bike? I was thinks of a DR-Z or a XR400. I ride a 2001 CR250 now that is setup for Harescrambles but I am looking for a second bike one that I can take on long rides. One that I dont have to worry about mixing gas. One with a nice cushy seat and soft suspension, and of course one with a electric start so all you owners out there please respond back...thanks

------------------
2001 CR 250 #731 D-36

marklb

Aug 5, 2000
I have a 00 drz electric and have resprung & revavled the suspension. I have had zero problems with it! I have it for sale I have a yz250f and am getting a wr250f. My onlt complaint is that it is heavy for me. I weigh 150 lbs and the 250 suits me better. I had a xr400 & the zook is alot better and the button is awesome. no gas to mix! Hope that helps! P.S. If you want a sweet 00 with all new -01 plastic & a clear IMS tank I want $4600 Mark

------------------

jdiaz

Oct 30, 2000
I got a leftover '00 DRZ400E in January, and love it. I added handguards, a 13T front sprocket, heavier springs front and rear (valving is still stock), a WER skid plate, Thumper Racing radiator guards, and recently added the $200 kickstart kit after the first battery died on my third ride. I can't see needing to spend any more money on it except for Renthal handlebars and the occasional oil change.

So far I've used it for playrides, an enduro, and a hare scramble. The weight tends to get a little difficult to manage at the end of a race/riding day, but to be honest, a 30-pound lighter bike wouldn't improve my finishes at this point.....I have to get a lot better first. The bike is totally easy to ride, and very forgiving when I do something stupid.

Lastly, I don't think the seat is that cushy. :)

Jon

------------------

jdrobins

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by jdiaz:
I got a leftover '00 DRZ400E in January, and love it.

I too got a leftover 00 Kick version, and so far I like the bike, The only issue I have is when I fall over and go boom :) and Miss TDC it is a bear to start. otherwise Wieght feels good, Power for me is good, I ride mainly Cross country and Trails and the suspension has handled it well.
I do think this is an overall good bike to get.

Jim

------------------
'00 DRZ400

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
Hi,

I have a 2000 DRZ400 Kick version and I love it. I dont think it is heavy when I ride but when you fall off and have to lift it up it is heavy as hell :(

Nice soft seat but the angle of the slope is weird to me and other drz owners (diff forum). The suspension is fine for me now but I may do some tweeking at a later time.

As for the kick version I have never had a problem, whenever I go to ride it starts after the first kick and I dropped it twice and it started with little effort (pulled the little blue button) and VROOOOOOM :)

I think you will like it....Let us know

------------------
Rob
2000 Suzuki DRZ400

bashn

Dec 6, 2000
Love my '00 DRZ400. It's kick only. Starting is only a problem when your stuck in some nasty place and can't reach the kicker! I love mine, no problems, 13T CS, skid plate, renthal bars, Acerbis hand guards/mirror. Stock exhaust is excellent marriage of power and stealth. Not as much low RPM grunt as XR400, but WAY better power everywhere else. Excellent choice for a trail bike. KTM might be a better choice for a race bike, but 1) I couldn't justify an extra $2,000. 2) I don't race off road.

Mark
'01 YZ250F
'00 DRZ400

------------------

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I ride a CR, and two of my buddies have a DRZ (kickstart) and an XR400. Ditto the previous comments about the XR having more low end power, but the DRZ is better everywhere else, IMO.

The suspension could benefit from some work but it is OK for casual trail riding. The DRZ handles well and is a blast to ride, although you will feel the weight on hard braking and when tossing the bike around in the tight and rough stuff.

Starting is very easy 99% of the time w/out the electric start. Unless you are short or really want the button, save the money and the weight.

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

CAB

Nov 18, 1999
I have 1700 mi. of singletrack and rough two track on my DRZ 400E. Great bike, as stated above. Nervous at higher speeds, but perfect at low speeds over rough trail. Stock motor is great, and stock muffler is very quiet. If you're taller than about 6 ft., I'd invest in a new top triple clamp or the thumper racing bar risers.

Be aware that there are many reported cases of countershaft seal failures and I have had one go. Like most the other failures reported, mine leaked the week after a very muddy ride. I didn't wash the bike, and sure enough, I lost the seal. Now I've removed the countershaft cover and always wash the bike good after a mud ride to keep the countershaft clean. Also, many DRZ's have a slow drip of coolant from the bottom of the waterpump cover. I've replaced the o-ring, but it still leaks. Not a big deal as I lost about 4 oz. of coolant in 1600 mi. of hard riding. I'm going to hi-temp seal it after this weekend's ride.

Overall, a good bike and I don't see anything on the market that is the equivalent to the DRZ right now. There are better choices for racing (KTM) and very fast riding (WR), but the DRZ is a great trail bike.

jonesy

Jan 31, 2000
I have a 00' DRZ E with an FMF powercore IV2 slip-on, 165 main jet, needle raised one notch, fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out from bottom, and the airbox snorkel removed. I have added a 13t front sprocket, acerbis handgaurds, kx bend renthals, and reshaped the seat foam. After rejetting, adding the pipe and the 13t sprocket, I raced my brothers 99' YZ250 and beat it right from the bottom to the top. The suspension is a little soft for real aggressive riding, but real nice for tight woods or a long day of riding. As for the extra weight, I am 5"7' 170lbs, and have NEVER had a problem with it. For the amount of DRZ owners out there, the reports of blown seals or leaks are very minimal. Buy one and you'll love it.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
I've got a 2000 S model, which is a blast. It is heavy but since I ride some on the street I like the extra weight. As mentioned above, the weight only matters when it is laying on its side.:eek:

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I have a 2000 DRZ E. I have put Renthal bars on it,Thumper Racing Radiator guard/braces, Eline carbon fiber cluch cover and ignition guards. I love the bike,. I just wish it was lighter I have had no problems with mine so far

roadwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
I have a 2001 DRZ400e and I love it. The electric start is great, you can restart it before you get a chance to put your foot on the ground, and the E models also come with a 200 watt electrical system so you can run a powerful headlight, or even an electric vest. I have had no problems with the bike so far (1000km). The manual's description for chain tension is a little on the loose side, so I wouldn't be surprized if some of the countershaft seal problems are from people setting thier chains too tight. If you do get a DRZ do yourself a favor an throw the intake snorkle away, then raise the carb needle one notch. Then turn the pilot screw out 2.5 turns and install a 160 main jet. Leave the exaust stock, it makes good power, and is quiet. Once you make those mods, let it break in. Once broken it it will run awsome!

86KDX200

Jul 20, 1999
I also own a 2001 DRZ400e. Yosh full race sytem, snorkle out, carb rejetted to the Yosh specs. Suspension is still stock, just tweeked a bit. Bark busters, rear tail light removed. Renthal bars. I modified my chain gaurd 'cause I had tons of mud building up inside the cover. Cut the bottom off and most of the sides. I then cut grooves into the front were the three indentions were. Works great now. I am 5' 10" at 175lbs and the bike seems perfect for me. I have had no problems with it. The suspension comes soft so if you plan on piloting your bike in the air, get ready to do some work to the suspension. The bike was called a "rolling marshmellow" in Dirtbike magazine. Also known as the rock hound. It does very well in the area I ride. The stock pipe works very well with the bike and really does not need to be changed. It is one of the more quite bikes out this year. Good luck!

borsy

May 17, 2000
I have a 2000 kickstart DRZ400, with renthal bars,and a fulll Stroker
exhaust system, I Race MtotX 35+ and Enduro class, I run Enduros,
and do alot of trail riding. the bike has been totally trouble free,
the powerband is very wide and smooth, the bike has grease fittings and easy access side cover to remove the air cleaner,
it tuns fantastic and feels 20 lbs lighter than it reallly is. for motoX
I do have to dial in the suspension alot firmer and could go with
heavier springs but since I do ride the trails alot I would rather have
it softer and plush and put up with some bottoming during the
MotoX, I had a wr250 that I had the suspension setup for MoToX
and it was then to terrible to ride in the woods for more than 1/2 hr. too firm and stiff,
The DRZ is truly a great do it all, all purpose bike, I've had about 25
bikes in my past 30 yrs of riding and the DRZ has been the best so far, my other favorites were the 85XR350 and my 90 WR250
best of luck Borsy.

DR400rider

Apr 28, 2001
I have a 2000 DR-Z400E and i love the bike. Has plenty of power for me. I am only 5'10 150lbs. I found it really easy to get used to the weight of the bike but i don't jump 100 feet in the air on it either. I have the Pro-circuit T-4 full exhaust system(which is VERY loud), stroker smog removal kit and jetting,K&N filter, Renthal bars, Acerbis black plastic and hand guards, and i plan on getting a good skid plate, i have heard the cases are pretty vunerible, and probably leaving the suspension alone, i have never bottomed it out and it rides way better then my friends KX out here where we ride. It's a great bike!! Oh and i ahve had the countershaft seal go out, it took 13 months for mine to go. i have only had to rides on it since but i put it in and it seems fine now. I ride in the mud alot so i can see why it went out, i have romoved the cover altogether now and just run the metal chain guard that was under the cover, other then that no problems or complaints at all!!

Vinnyl26

~SPONSOR~
Dec 8, 2000
Well here is an update. I went ahead and bought a new 2001 DR-Z400E Thursday night. All I can say is WOW!!!! for a regular trail bike it is fast. My only complaint is the rear brake feels mushy?? does anyone else have that promblem? I love that E-button!!!!

roadwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
You can try bleeding the rear brake. After installing a brake light switch, I had a heack of a time getting the air out. I've also re-bleed the rear brake twice when it started feeling mushy, and twice I removed an air buble. I think air can get in when you drop the bike, but I'm not sure if thats the case. I like my bike to be able to easily lock the rear brake on a paved surface.

littleposo

Sep 19, 2000
I have a 2000 DRZ 400S that’s just about a year old. I’ve put over a 1000 miles on it on dirt roads in the National Forest, cow trails, and some real nasty dirt hare and hound stuff, and haven’t had a lick of trouble. The magic button is wonderful – especially when you’re stuck on a steep hillside with your toes barely touching the ground! The only modification I’ve made is a big IMS gas tank for long fishing trips into the back country. It is a bit heavy – I’m 6’ tall and 175 lbs – when your tired, or in real rough spots, but lots of fun otherwise. The “S” version is a little “soft”, but in California there are very few bikes that you can license. I think I’m going to change the front sprocket, it’s geared a bit too tall for the kind of riding that I do. Great bike for the money

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
I have a 01 DRZ400 kick. Only have 200 miles on it. 130 of single track. totally stock with snorkel removed. I feel I could be very competive in the B class on enduros I would go with a 13/47 gearing and change stock front tire (washes in dry sand).

I am running the forks at 2 clicks out and stiffened the rear shock by 4 clicks and softend the rebound 2 clicks.

For racing enduros 90% rider 10% bike

Brian:p

Top Bottom