Calling all honda owners.... Why where the 92-96 ones so dam good!!??

Hi all, i really have had a great relationshhipm with my94-5 Honda cr250, its in great condition, but i have decided to go racing and thought about something newer. I tried the 99 Cr250 and it was so stiff and slow. All the racers think its great i hated it!!!
Why doesnt honda make a ne 92-96 bike??? :debil:
What do you guys think of the 92-96 cr250?
What can be done to make it as newer bikes?
Anybody have success against the newer machines on thease models?
Any tips??
Cheers \ RIDE RED :p :p :p

Sorry About The Spelling...........am In A Rush To Get Work Done!!!!!!!

Bodge

Subscriber
I have a 96cr250 that i dont ride much anymore, but it has a very torquie almost 4 stroke like motor and turns well. Very smooth power from idle to the rev limiter. Headshakes n swaps like mad though. The suspension has been through hell so i cant really say how it Should handle.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
If you dislike the aluminum framed CR's then buy something else if you want something newer to compete on. I had a '00 CR-250 that was nice bike but it took some money to get the bike competitive for me off-road. Yet, I still go faster on my virtually stock KX250. One of my friends from my enduro club had a '96 CRE-250 that he sold to get a '00 CR250. He wasn't fond of the newer bike and couldn't adapt easily. He sold it and found another '96 CR250 in like new shape to compete on. If you want a newer bike ask some of your buddies to let you try their newer bikes. I think all of the current crop of 250's are great bikes it just depends on the rider and what they like.

Lissa, Im in NJ as well. I am located in East Hanover. I have heard of Millville, but have no clue where it is. :think: I have an 03 YZ250, maybe one day we can get the KX and YZ together. :laugh: Mike

My friends 93' CR 125 IMO rides a lot nicer than my other friends 02' CR 125.

The 93 just seems to ride a lot nicer :)

Hey, I'm just now noticing there are a few NJ riders posting in this thread. Cool. What towns are you guys all from?? Mike

The jealous boyfriend!!???
Yeah i found the new ones sucked, lissa could you ask your friend how he setup/ modified it to be competative??

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Actually, I had both a 92 and a 96 CR 250. Both were set up for enduros and were some of my favorite bikes! In 97 when the first gen al framed CRs came out, I rode a friends 97 and hated it! Too rigid and wierd power compared to my 96. I then switched to Yamahas. I didnt like Lissa's 2000 CR either, it seemed to vibrate more than my YZ and didnt have the motor of the 01/02 YZ 250's. It wasnt really any better than my 96 CR powerwise! I think you would be fine on a 96 against the newer bikes, unless your riding/racing against pro's. I set the 02 YZ 250 up for enduros. 18 inch wheel, suspension revalved and resprung, E Line lighting coil and a pretty much stock engine with the exception of a V Force reed valve and a FMF Q silencer.
"The jealous boyfriend" Rob :laugh:

Thanks guys........ i was told when i bought the bike it was a 1996 cr250 set up for hare and hounds....18" rear wheel, porting, procircuit pipe, reeds etc. I asked my Honda dealer here in Ireland and they are not sure but say somewher between 94-96(GREAT HELP THAT).
Anyway even if it is a 1994, what have you found successfull in setting up the bike for hare and hounds/enduro?
I am waiting on my manual to arrive, anybody know a good base setting for the forks and shock(showa)... i put it on 12 comp front 12 rebound. shock 17comp 17 rebound....does that sound right? The gearing is 13-50 and boy does it hit hard!!! Any suggestions, if a 94 would it still be competative for my 1st season? Cheers All :thumb:

Also is it possible to hook up a front light without the need for expensive eline kit??

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
The 92-96 were very much alike. The 94 will still be very competitive in enduros/hare and hounds. As far as suspension set up goes, I would set everything in the middle and start from there. Its hard to give settings not knowing the bike or your riding style. Motorwise, my CR were stock except for a heavier flywheel, I think it was a Steahly 10 oz. and a Pro Circuit pipe with a spark arrester. The jetting was pretty much factory except I leaned out the main on the 96 CR one step. We are at sea level here in Jersey. As far as lights go, maybe Elektrex or I believe they are called MH which is a company that specializes in converting Honda CRs and CRFs to enduro bikes makes a set up similar to E Lines, I believe they might actually make the lighting coils for them. They are in Germany I think. If I find the site Ill post it here.
Rob