Calling all honda owners.... Why where the 92-96 ones so dam good!!??

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
'91 Cr250

I own a 91 CR250. The engine is very strong but like someone said earlier the head shake is all over the place. Other than that it's a great bike but I would like to get the suspension softened. Anyone know anything about the '91 that could be done with the forks?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Everybody with whom i have spoken have reccommended that you have the forks plush with the top clamps, i however did the opposite, i put them 1" over the top clamps, and problem is solved!!! :yeehaw:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I liked the forks on the '96 I rode, maybe I just got a good one.

Regarding the '91, all else being equal, running the forks 1" ABOVE the top clamps sounds like way too much. The ideal position will vary depending on the setup and rider, but the further the forks are slid up in the clamps, the more the bike will tend to headshake.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Just thought i would add more fuel to the fire...........On Sunday i rode a 01 Yamaha yz250 back to back with my 94 Honda cr250...and i tried to like the yz so much but i just couldnt the power is just too smooth it felt like a gasgas ece250..sure the bike felt tighter and faster its just that around the mx track in my hands it wasnt!
I could not get over the smooth power, it has taken me so long to get used to the Hondas hit...now i have it i would not buy anything else!
Are all new bikes super smooth but fast machines?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Surely that would richen the bike........I am happy with the bikes jetting, its just that almost all newer bikes which i have ridden are like this...why?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Smoother is faster. Which is arguable because MC's yamahas were probably the hardest hitting bikes of all time!

You just mentioned not being happy with the newer bikes 'hit' a needle will change that. Personal preference means more than anything, but you need to have your laps clocked to know if you're faster with a bike hitting like a *******, or a smooth one. $5 is certainly no reason to not upgrade bikes. But hey, keep those mind 90's bikes alive!!! I ain't upgrading any time soon myself(mainly cause I've got to go orange to get the modern equivelant of my WR).

A needle profile change is to richen/lean the carb in certain spots that aren't handled by the pilot/main jet...Steep rich to lean transition = hit. Without getting drastic with a profile change, you could swap one out without changing the pilot/main jet. The best thing to do is find a needle that fits your taste/pipe profile, and then jet to cleanlieness if needed. Well worth it.

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
I've been riding a 96 CR250 for about 3 years now. I've really been kicking around the idea of getting a newer bike, but I just have a hard time finding much wrong with this bike besides the looks. Many of my friend have new 250's, and they don't feel that much better to me. I've recently started purchasing all of the parts for a complete top and bottom end rebuild. After that, I may do some more work on the forks, like Gold Valves. They are indeed 46mm Kayaba's, and seem to be the weak link in the bike as far as I'm concerned. I think if I can get them working good, I may ride this bike for another year or so. I'm just starting to worry about gear wear and what not, since I've rode the thing pretty hard. I would hate to be half way through an enduro and have some major failure.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Yeah me too.....i would love my bike to look like the aluminium frame pitty i dont yet like them to ride though!
i would think that the gears should be ok....a good indication would be the condition of the clutch(basket and hub), when you rebuild her top an bottem sure have a luck!

euro51

Jan 18, 2004
Forks for Honda CR 250

I think that this is correct
92-94 Showa USD 43mm

95 Kayaba USD 45mm
96 Kayaba USD 46mm
97- Showa USD 47mm
and pre 83-88Showa 43mm
89-91 Showa USD 45mm

JellyHead33

Mar 27, 2004
I am 15, and I am 5'7'' 115lbs. Last summer I bought a 95' CR 250 and man is that thing SWEET! It jumps, rides, handles, and looks good. I've never ridden a newer model CR but I have ridden a 99 RM 250 and in my opinion my CR will eat the RM for breakfast.

Top Bottom