Calling all honda owners.... Why where the 92-96 ones so dam good!!??

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi all, i really have had a great relationshhipm with my94-5 Honda cr250, its in great condition, but i have decided to go racing and thought about something newer. I tried the 99 Cr250 and it was so stiff and slow. All the racers think its great i hated it!!!
Why doesnt honda make a ne 92-96 bike??? :debil:
What do you guys think of the 92-96 cr250?
What can be done to make it as newer bikes?
Anybody have success against the newer machines on thease models?
Any tips??
Cheers \ RIDE RED :p :p :p

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I have a 96cr250 that i dont ride much anymore, but it has a very torquie almost 4 stroke like motor and turns well. Very smooth power from idle to the rev limiter. Headshakes n swaps like mad though. The suspension has been through hell so i cant really say how it Should handle.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
If you dislike the aluminum framed CR's then buy something else if you want something newer to compete on. I had a '00 CR-250 that was nice bike but it took some money to get the bike competitive for me off-road. Yet, I still go faster on my virtually stock KX250. One of my friends from my enduro club had a '96 CRE-250 that he sold to get a '00 CR250. He wasn't fond of the newer bike and couldn't adapt easily. He sold it and found another '96 CR250 in like new shape to compete on. If you want a newer bike ask some of your buddies to let you try their newer bikes. I think all of the current crop of 250's are great bikes it just depends on the rider and what they like.

Feb 28, 2004
Lissa, Im in NJ as well. I am located in East Hanover. I have heard of Millville, but have no clue where it is. :think: I have an 03 YZ250, maybe one day we can get the KX and YZ together. :laugh: Mike

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
The jealous boyfriend!!???
Yeah i found the new ones sucked, lissa could you ask your friend how he setup/ modified it to be competative??

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Actually, I had both a 92 and a 96 CR 250. Both were set up for enduros and were some of my favorite bikes! In 97 when the first gen al framed CRs came out, I rode a friends 97 and hated it! Too rigid and wierd power compared to my 96. I then switched to Yamahas. I didnt like Lissa's 2000 CR either, it seemed to vibrate more than my YZ and didnt have the motor of the 01/02 YZ 250's. It wasnt really any better than my 96 CR powerwise! I think you would be fine on a 96 against the newer bikes, unless your riding/racing against pro's. I set the 02 YZ 250 up for enduros. 18 inch wheel, suspension revalved and resprung, E Line lighting coil and a pretty much stock engine with the exception of a V Force reed valve and a FMF Q silencer.
"The jealous boyfriend" Rob :laugh:

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks guys........ i was told when i bought the bike it was a 1996 cr250 set up for hare and hounds....18" rear wheel, porting, procircuit pipe, reeds etc. I asked my Honda dealer here in Ireland and they are not sure but say somewher between 94-96(GREAT HELP THAT).
Anyway even if it is a 1994, what have you found successfull in setting up the bike for hare and hounds/enduro?
I am waiting on my manual to arrive, anybody know a good base setting for the forks and shock(showa)... i put it on 12 comp front 12 rebound. shock 17comp 17 rebound....does that sound right? The gearing is 13-50 and boy does it hit hard!!! Any suggestions, if a 94 would it still be competative for my 1st season? Cheers All :thumb:

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
The 92-96 were very much alike. The 94 will still be very competitive in enduros/hare and hounds. As far as suspension set up goes, I would set everything in the middle and start from there. Its hard to give settings not knowing the bike or your riding style. Motorwise, my CR were stock except for a heavier flywheel, I think it was a Steahly 10 oz. and a Pro Circuit pipe with a spark arrester. The jetting was pretty much factory except I leaned out the main on the 96 CR one step. We are at sea level here in Jersey. As far as lights go, maybe Elektrex or I believe they are called MH which is a company that specializes in converting Honda CRs and CRFs to enduro bikes makes a set up similar to E Lines, I believe they might actually make the lighting coils for them. They are in Germany I think. If I find the site Ill post it here.
Rob

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Sorry about my 'jealous boyfriend' who'd rather post under my name then his! :laugh:

As for the '94-96 CR250, I would first tear into the bike and take note of any modifications from stock since you say the bike was previously raced. Was the suspension revalved and resprung? Are there any noticeable engine modifications done? Then evaluate what you like and dislike about the bike. Is the suspension too stiff? Is the gearing too tall?
My friend basically did a CRE (Kevin Hines, E-Line) conversion to his '96. My '00 CR(E)250 was outfited the same as well as my green machines. Rob listed quite a few of the enduro worthy mods already. Otherwise, enjoy the bike!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks for all the help guys and girls...much appreciated :worship: !!!!!!!!!
I am running a procircuit pipe and silencer, it has had engine mods to hareden the midrange-top so its kinda more suited to the motox track guys, it has way too much power :aj: , i run 13-50 gearing, rear enduro 110 tire, and have ordered a 14oz steahly weight(hope i can lighten that again).
Anybody know if thease 1hp gain powervalve spacer kits really enhance lowend? The forks are showa, i think the 95 had kayaba....any ideas??? Mw radscoops have two holes instead of three on the 96!!!Or are the rad scoops interchangable?? Thanks Again

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
1. I just sold my 01 which I was happy with, used to the vibration, but the power was a strong mid and yes, it did tend to overrev more than most 250's. Now I have an 03 that has little to no vibration compared to my 01, more like a 125, but the power seems very weak with the servo powervalve.

2. Rob/Lissa, where do you ride around here, I live towards Cedarville on Lummistown Road. Maybe we can get in touch and create a NJ Dirt Rider ride.

Stan stanharbold@yahoo.com

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
me and my nephew just rebuilt his 96 top end for the first time , everything inside looked great . slapped a set of rings in it and cleaned the power valve and that was all it needed . he has had it bacicially from new and he said he would not get rid of it for nothing , they must be awesome bikes because i have not heard anything negative about them .

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
i've owned or at least ridden just about every year CR250 from the late 80s on up. The 92-96 were great all around bikes, but the suspension systems varied, most notably the forks. '92-'94 had soft forks which bottomed bad on jumps, but for woods they might actually be fine. I hated the '95 forks, way too stiff and harsh! In '96 everything seemed to click. Was '96 the first year for the twin chamber forks on the Honda? I think Suzuki had them first??

Very true that the '01 had great over-rev(when jetted correctly) but otherwise ran much like the '00. My '03 won't rev as high but pulls noticeably harder in the midrange.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Twin chamber USD's came about in 97, Suzuki had conventional TC's. They were awful on the CR and I personally think more of the frame stories should have been blamed on these forks. I owned the 97, tried to get the forks to work and sold it right away after finding out the USD's were sent out without enough tube overlap, which resulted in the fork locking, literally and then the bike ricocheting off the intended line w/ no warning.

The riders that had the $$$ to replace the fork were greeted w/ a great handling bike that pulled to the moon, higher than my 01 that's for sure.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks ALL... HAVE FORKS COME ALONG WAY SINCE 1994? I have been offered a set of forks off a 1999 model for descent money and am wondering if they would fit directly onto my bike? Any comments on this suggestion?? Cheers

TrackMaster2

Dec 1, 2003
yea i gotta 93 cr 125 myself it hauls man i clear stuff in a gear lower than any1 else. but im selling it and gettin my bros 96 yz125. wanna buy the cr? lol

Top Bottom