Calling all woods riding MX bike owners!!

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Does anyone have a suggested diameter for the inside of a woods friendly silencer?

I'm going to modify the standard silencer by reducing the internal pipe, but to what size?

I ride withy a guy who owns a GG 300 and his pipe looks tiny! At least 10mm smaller than the KX version...

I'm doing this to 'Hush" it down a little, and to gain a little bottom end power. May also lengthen the muffler too.

Anyone done this before?

Also wondering if it will affect the jetting? I'll check the plug once I've done it but any tips gladly accepted!!

Cheers
John :nod:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Muffler diameters are all about the same. The length has the most effect on power and noise. A shorty gives a better bottom end, but is louder. Most run a Turbine Core 2 or a Q Series from FMF. A spark arrestor and baffle will cut down on noise considerably.

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
I ran the turbine core Q silencer/spark arrester on a 2002 kx250 with good results sound wise. Good luck, but please install a spark arrestor to keep from torching the wooded areas you are riding in. :cool:

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Man that snorkel is ugly! But I can see how it works....

The internal diameter of the GG silencer is much smaller than my KX and the old turbincore I had is also much smaller so I think I'll build new "guts for mine and see how we go... does anyone know if increased back-pressure affects the jetting?

Thanks for the info guys... :ride:

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
If you care more about how it looks compared to how it runs there is something missing from that picture.

I agree - but it's an MTV world man - TV tells me I need to look cool at all costs!!! kidding mate.

I can get a 'similar' effect with clever internal mods so I'll do that instead.

Any thoughts on the jetting?

Top Bottom