Calling Faded or any 2001 CR250 PWK convert

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
Ok, have the 2001 CR250 and switched to the Keihin PWK. I can't figure out why I am getting spooge out the pipe. I just took the carburator apart.

Here is the current scenario

Mo betta everywhere porting by E-gorr
Pilot: 45
Needle: DDJ second position down from top
Main: 172

Mixing 40:1 with HP2 Temp: 50-60 0-2500ft above sea level

Nothing happens when I mess with the air screw so I'm assuming I need a leaner pilot.

These specs seem like they should be OK but I'm still getting spooge, I checked the reeds and they look fine.

I wonder if the porting requires me to go leaner on these.

Thanks in advance

:bang:

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
The most responsive CR I ever owned was an '01 - I used the std Mikuni with S-4 nozzle. My modified '97 had a Keihn. I ran 40:1 C12. Don't remember the exact jetting, but I know I ran a 168 main, stock needle and I believe a 40 pilot. I'll bet your still rich on your jetting.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Was it spooging before? If so, did you clean your pipe and silencer before running it with the new carb?

I have the PWK on mine right now with the 178 main, 45 pilot, needle 2nd from top, temps 50-60, alt 700-1300 (maybe higher last year in WV), and it only spooges slightly at the harescrambles. I will switch to the 175 main in the hottest part of the summer if I haven't put the Mikuni back in before then. I think I am usually mixing somewhere around 32:1 but 40:1 doesn't cause noticeably more spooge for me.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Porting will definately require leaner jetting. Make sure your float level is set correctly @ 16mm. The air screw isn't nearly as touchy as the one on the Mikuni, but if it seems like it's not responding then you're still rich on the pilot. Try a 42 pilot @ 1 turn out on the air screw. The needle should be good on the 2nd clip. CAREFULLY start dropping the main a size at a time, I wouldn't be suprised if you didn't end up around a 165. Let us know how it works!

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
Faded,

Thanks bro! Glad you chimed in. I will try your suggestions and post a result, Im glad you confirmed my suspicion about the porting. I know you have fooled with the PWK enough to know and have that 265 beast.

I'll let you know

Thanks again!

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
The jetting I suggested should be plenty safe, you're still running about 10% richer across the board than I was with my settings even after accounting for temp and altitude, so don't be afraid if you still have to go leaner than what I've said. :cool:

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
Right on faded! I'll have to meet up with you sometime. My Dad has 10 acres in Bellevue, ID. Been going to Sun Valley since I was young. Some of the best riding in my opinion is there. I have the 01 CR250 plus an 04 CRF450, a combo that you can appreciate from the looks of your bike selection.

I'll keep you posted on this thing. I'm going to try and pick up the jets tomorrow

Thanks man!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
it sounds daft, but try 25:1 on the oil. ;)

you can probabbly go right down to 165 on the main also....just lean it everywhere until it pings, then go back one step.

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
I'm taking the bike to the dunes next week, so i'll probably have to go 1 or 2 steps richer on the main. Thanks for the response

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
James, what needle are you using?

Same questions for you Faded, what needle did you run with the overbore?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
tony91 said:
Same questions for you Faded, what needle did you run with the overbore?
After it was all said and done I had the best luck with these settings:

4700ft ASL
Temps - 70-80
VP110 - 32:1 - Amsoil Dominator
Float Level - 16mm (stock)
Pilot - #38
Air Screw - 1.5
Slide - 7.0 (stock)
Needle - Keihin CEL
Clip Position - #2
Main - 152

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom