Calories burned while riding....

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
I am looking for information reguarding the amount of calories that are burned while riding. If anyone has any specifics on how many calories are burned during a race or moto that would be perfect! Thanks!

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
they have these things you wear while running that tell you how many calories youve burned...they would probably work for riding too

Try this site

Last edited:

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
The wearable calorie counters are either pedometers or accelerometers (sporting fudge factors to convert movement into calories expended). Neither would work correctly on a motorcycle, since you would be measuring the "up and down" motion (pedometer) and the acceleration (accelerometer) of the motorcycle, not the person under their own power.

I was able to find one place that listed calories burned during motocross (281 kcal/hr for a 155lb rider; no citation was given as to how this was determined, therefore I don't know how accurate the number is). Thus, if you ride for one hour you have not yet burned up that 32 oz coke that you had for breakfast (310 kcal). It will take you two hours of riding to burn up that Big Mac (560 kcal).

Last edited:

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Get a heart rate monitor with a memory. I believe you could calculate how much cals you burned by using a formula, in regards to your rate and the time. something like that

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
1 hr of cardio at the gym, heart rate at 137. I can burn between 700 to 800 cal. All depending on what machines. 30 min on the cross train I burn around 420. I would guess for a 15 min moto around 250 to 350 maybe. Depends on a lot of differant things. Track layout and how hard you ride.

tchamberlain

Mar 28, 2002
I wondered about the calorie thing too. I fi0gure if I can run a fast mile in 8-10 minutes, which most exercise charts say burns about 150cal, then 1 hard moto, which lasts about the same time burns about as many calories or moreas running the mile. My heart rate is higher after a moto on a mx track than running a mile, so maybe its more.

fhweec

Dec 7, 2022
The wearable calorie counters are either pedometers or accelerometers (sporting fudge factors to convert movement into calories expended). Neither would work correctly on a motorcycle, since you would be measuring the "up and down" motion (pedometer) and the acceleration (accelerometer) of the motorcycle, not the person under their own power.

I was able to find one place that listed calories burned during motocross (281 kcal/hr for a 155lb rider; no citation was given as to how this was determined, therefore I don't know how accurate the number is). Thus, if you ride for one hour you have not yet burned up that 32 oz coke that you had for breakfast (310 kcal). It will take you two hours of riding to burn up that Big Mac (560 kcal). Yesterday when I put how long and fast I rode it said that I basically had burned the same amount of calories that I do walking. How is this possible? When I walk it's at a minimal effort and it's not hard at all. Yesterday I literally was concerned about my well being I was so exhausted lol. My shirt was as wet as someone who had jumped into a swimming pool with it on that's how much I sweated calories burned on recumbent bike. So my question is obvious. How is it that they burned basically the same amount of calories when one was way more intense than the other? Thanks a lot.
I usually walk at about a pace of 3mph for an hr or so. When I am done my fitness pal and other sites say I burned around 300 calories. Yesterday and the day before I went bike riding for an hr. The trails were really curvy and stuff but the app I used said I rode 9 miles and my avg speed was like 8.2 mph or something like that. Anyways when I got done I was freaking exhausted. I felt like I was going to puke and my legs are really sore. Yesterday when I put how long and fast I rode it said that I basically had burned the same amount of calories that I do walking. How is this possible? When I walk it's at a minimal effort and it's not hard at all. Yesterday I literally was concerned about my well being I was so exhausted lol. My shirt was as wet as someone who had jumped into a swimming pool with it on that's how much I sweated. So my question is obvious. How is it that they burned basically the same amount of calories when one was way more intense than the other? Thanks a lot.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom