xr250r1922

Aug 24, 2004
on my old xr, i put everything back together timed and everything and after a few kicks the timing slips. The chain is very loose but i have not seen another one so i do not know how they are suposed to be. My cam chain wobbles back and forth basically to all sides on the top sprocket. I wouldnt think it should do that but I am not sure. I cant seem to figure out the mechanism for the auto chain tensioner so i cant tell if it is working or not. If i were to buy a new cam chain for it, would i have to go through the entire bottom end to replace it, or would i just have to remove the side cover? Ive had some problems with this part of the engine a lot in the past, the intake rocker actually split right down the middle and im thinking its from the timing jump. any locations i can find aftermarket cam chains? Thanks.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
These engines have a cam chain tensioner to take up the slack you are describing. If the tensioner is not set correctly the chain (old or new) will never have proper tension on it and will jump out of time when the engine is started.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
can't you just pull the tensioner and check it? Sounds like you didn't set it right - the manual will tell you exactly what to do

xr250r1922

Aug 24, 2004
to set it you must first let the engine run and loosen two bolts. then after a few seconds the actually bar that tensions the chain sits in the spot its suposed to be in and when you tighten those screws, it stays like that untill you loosen those bolts again. im thinking there is a bolt missing in the lower part of the tensioner. the only way i can put this bolt back in is to tear the top end down to that point. if the tensioner isnt doing its just to start with it cant be set because the chain will skip teeth and the engine will not run. pretty much im answering my own question but ive been reading for hours to figure out what is going wrong.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
don't goose the throttle while you have the adjuster loose.
and don't ask me how I came to have this knowledge

xr250r1922

Aug 24, 2004
i pretty much came to a conclusion. my cam chain is stretched to sheeyot. my tensioner is taking away as much slack as possible and it is still slipping. i think that may explain what the constant tick my bike had when i bought it :| but if i can come up with 140 bucks i might be able to order the orginal chain, or if someone knows for a fact that i can get an aftermarket chain for a little less than 140 dollars that will fit my bike that would be schweet. haha maybe next spring ill be able to ride my beloved motorcycle like all my rich buddies do everyday :ahhh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Check with any Tucker Rocky dealer and see if they have a listing for a Tsubaki replacement cam chain. They are a lot less expensive then the OEM cam chain.

xr250r1922

Aug 24, 2004
sorta sucks, i see what you are talking about the tsubaki. on bikebandit.com i can find one for the 200r of the era, but not the 250. also cant find a single match with google.
crap

Top Bottom