KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bad news is...I wont be doing the Gowan Enduro. Good news is... I will be in the UP for 9 days or so... a few days of work, the rest play time and travel there and back time.

My plan is to ride the Moss Lake trail next weekend, then head up to the Marquette/Ishpeming area - do some work, then the following weekend ride around there (likely some of the Sandstormer's trails). Mitch will even get a chance to get away from NMU for a while and join us for some riding.

I know there is a campground just south of the Moss Lake Trail - but I am more interested in finding a spot in the woods - no facilities needed, near the trail itself.

Whats the road (FSH 2231) into the trail head like? Can I tow my big trailer down it OK?

Are there any decent, easy to get into spots well suited to setting the trailer up? I did look into National Forest rules for camping on their land - no issues there - like state land, but it appears no permit thingy is needed like state requires.

Failing that - if I have to camp in the nearby campground (Flowing Well i think it is), as all of our bikes are plated, we should be OK.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Roads to the trail are narrow, but bigger rigs can get in there. That includes the two track heading to the parking area. The area is large enough to turn around and you could camp there (I believe). It's a bit sandy, but shouldn't be a problem. Roads to it are mostly gravel.

IMG_2175.JPG

Mar 21, 2005
I had drove thru that Flowing Well campground when I was up there and it seemed like a decent place to stay. I would think you wouldn't have much competition for sites since it will be past Labor Day. There were serveral sites that would be good for a big camper.

The staging area is also a good choice with no issues getting to it (that I can remember). It was sandy looking like Jeremy mentioned, but is actually quite firm.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks. I wasn't concerned with getting into the Flowing Well campground - I've camped there before - plenty of nice big sites. What I was hoping for was a little open area off the side of the road somewhere down 2231. Staging area would be convenient...but I somehow suspect not technically allowed.

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
UP Magoo said:
So... got a ride report?

Yep, here's my ride report... After the first 4 miles I couldn't find the Mommy phone, so I loaded up and headed home after driving 4 hours to get there (the long way) :ahhh: :ohmy: :( ;)

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
I rode the trail last Sat & sun with KTM Mike. We had a blast the trail was awesome, it had me cursing the whole way.The ferns in the area made it difficult to see the trail so I was going pretty slow. I love the area, the trail is the hardest Ive ever ridden. You can tell that the Guys who laid it out are enduro riders. It was a stuggle for me and my brother Doug riding yz250's. Doug rode Mikes ktm for a while and enjoyed it more. I dont think I have ever stalled my bike so much. It is a great work out. The area is nice with lots of 2 track if you get overwhelmed with the tight Single track, I mean event trail. Thank you to the Guys who put in the hard work to lay out this trail, We will be back, maybe with an auto clutch for the yz. Im sure Mike will be chiming in soon as he was pretty busy traveling last week and this week end he's riding with his sons in Marquette.Thanks again, Curtis

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Fan Flippin Tastic!

UP Magoo said:
So... got a ride report?

I absolutely loved the Moss Lake trail. I will be back to ride that trail many times I hope. It is by no means an "easy" trail compared to 99.9% of ALL ORV trail in Michigan - like Curtis said, basically it is event trail that just happens to be marked as ORV trail. My son Mark kept grinning - loved it to. His KDX and my KTM were much better suited to that tight stuff than Curtis's or Dougs YZs. (I was wondering if Doug would give me my KTM back after he rode it for a while!).

That trail has it all! If it isnt about 1" tighter than your bars are wide, it is snaking and looping back on itself, or it is a nice off camber section. I was surprised to see it even had some short bits of rock in it. To me, the only "bad" bit of the trail was the first 4 or 5 miles with that nasty chop from when the ground was plowed up to do those pine plantations.

I do think the Forest service should put "motorcycle only" on the signs that are out on the highway - keep the quads from even heading in that way. I am sure there will also be lots of people who really are not prepared for that tough of a trail - expecting it to be more like the wide easy stuff we have everywhere else, who show up there and not like it.

I have a bunch of pics I will try to get posted later this week.

Oh, Magoo - had a blast up on the Sandstormer trails this weekend to. I got Mark and Mitch both to sample a bit of Charlotte's Web, the Moon Rocks and even a little bit of time on the Mountain. We screwed around on the rocks quite a bit actually. Great experience to just play ride that stuff rather than race it.

Top Bottom