motogps

Dec 31, 2005
Does anybody know where I can find photos of what normal and abnormal camshaft wear looks like. ( the bike is a 01 yzf426)

Thanks

motogps

Dec 31, 2005
I have the manual, I'm talking about wear patterns. The cam could still be in spec according to the manual and have odd wear patterns on the ramps. That is what I'm looking for.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You have to look at tons of cams before wear patterns start making any sense. Even then, there are no guarantees.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The only way you'll learn this is to take apart a lot of engines on your own.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Copping a pissy attitude won't change the facts that wear patterns on cams are application specific. So info from a one engine won't necessarily mean much on another. It's also extremely RARE for anyone to document cam wear patterns in any useful way. Most people taking apart engines don't know what to look for and even if they do they don't have the skill to accurately photograph something as complex as a wear pattern on a cam. It's a very difficult photograph to take without expensive specialized equipment.

If you search the forums you'll see that I have gone out of my way to try and document some of the late model cams with clear photographs, but that is just a drop in the bucket and won't provide you with anything more than a surface knowledge of the subject.

Like it or not there is no short cut for this. If you really want to learn this, you'll have to do it the hard way like the rest of us.

motogps

Dec 31, 2005
"gone out of my way to try and document some of the late model cams with clear photographs, but that is just a drop in the bucket and won't provide you with anything more than a surface knowledge of the subject."

Not to be "pissy" but this was all I was looking for. If you would have just said this in your first post then all would have been good.

motogps

Dec 31, 2005
After thinking about this more I should have titled my original post as "Is this camshaft junk?", to get an opinion from someone that knows rather from a shop that just wants to sell me a new part. The camshaft in question specs out good according to manual but has obviious wear on both ramps with a shiny band right on the apex of the lobe. The wear has a filed or sandblasted appearance to it, not the shiny look like the rest of the cam. Also the valve clearance was out of spec--on the tight side-- when I checked them. This an intake cam.

Oh, and Rich I didn't mean to come across as an @## about this.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Post a CLEAR picture of the wear you are describing and let's see what we can come up with.

motogps

Dec 31, 2005
Here it is. I hope it is clear enough.
camshaft.jpg

stevena198301

Feb 21, 2007
I can't see the pic, here at work, but according to the mechanic who is doing my bike, it should have a complete shiny section (no dark and shiny streaks) in it...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
motogps said:
Here it is. I hope it is clear enough.

How is the bike normally ridden? (BE SPECIFIC)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
What type of riding are you talking about. High speed wide open, low speed single track, etc.

How is the bike normally warmed up, again be specific.

motogps

Dec 31, 2005
I let it idle for a couple minutes while I finish putting on my gear. I tend to ride fast but not always wide open ( higher gear) in the desert but in the tighter woods stuff I like to ride at the top of the power curve.

Top Bottom