250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
If I ever find a way to get into racing(and that is a very big if)and I find an easy track to practice on,would I be able to do it on my wr?Or do I have to be on a mx bike?I do have an rm,but I have been riding the wr for much longer,and can handle and ride it much better.

And in my first most beginner races I can find,on the easiest track I can find,would I be able to compete on the wr?If I can compete on it,what are my chances of winning,or at least getting a decent placing against the mx bikes??And what kind of competing could I do on a wr,like freestyle, harescrambles,etc?

I know I am asking a lot of questions,but any answers would be appreciated,thanks all

250girl

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Believe me, there is not a two-wheel vehicle made that hasn't been raced by someone. Yes, even scooters and minibikes.

Work on maintaining your WR, get it set up properly for you, and you'll be fine racing it. In fact, you are much better off racing something that you are comfortable on.

Good luck!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Not sure about in your area but around here the womens class could be run competitively on a WR for MX. I see way to many girls here who's fathers are living a dream and have them on bikes with more aftermarket then my son's 2 bikes combined but the girls either 1) just can not ride 2) are afraid to race or 3) afraid of the powerful bikes their dads built.
Don't get me wrong there are girls here who can race, and beat many of the guys but they make up the top 4 or 5 at any given race.
If you have the confidence on that WR race it and you will do just fine. Just stay away from doing FMX on it it is a bit heavy for those double back flips

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Get your hands on a YZ tank and seat to help you get a bit farther forward for better cornering and your set.

Steve

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
what!!?? No double back flips on my WR??And here I was all ready to go give Travis Pastrana a run for his money,and now you've ruined my plans!

As far as I know there aren't any aftermarket performance parts on my WR.There is a little "boysen reeds" sticker on it,and that is the only sticker on it.The pipe has no recognizable name on it as far as I can remember,it is just black and dented and says"for closed curcuit competition only"or something like that on it.It does have renthal bars,but they seem really short,I think the previous owner chopped the ends off.And half of my clutch lever is busted off,it's been like that for five years.And my tires are bald,and my chain is falling off.But,it runs really well.So this spring I am getting new tires,new chain and maybe new handlebars.What exactly do I need to do to it to make it race worthy??And keep in mind,I am not a millionaire.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My son rides a 96 YZ250 and I now have a 97 WR250. The same aftermarket repair manual covers both bikes and when parked side by side it is hard to tell them apart.

My WR has a factory kickstand and a larger gas tank. Oh, and an 18 inch rear wheel (instead of 19 on the YZ) which I never understood. When we are riding I will be in 3rd instead of 4th gear that the YZ would be in due to the wide ratio transmission.

Near as I can tell, the engine and suspension are identical.

For track racing, a wide ratio transmission is not going to be the preferred setup. For Harescrambles or enduros it probably wouldn't matter and could even be preferred.

I can assure you, however, that the differences between a YZ and a WR will not be a limiting factor for you until you have a fair number of races under your belt. Don't worry about the bike, get out and race whatever you have. Take the kickstand off it you believe the extra weight is slowing you down. Don't fill the gas tank all the way. When you get to the point where you believe that the shift from second to third drops the engine RPM so far that you aren't staying on the pipe, then consider changing bikes.

Until then, that WR250 should allow you to hit the double jump just fine.

Rod

Top Bottom