Can an '01 CR125 be made Off-Road worthy?

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Financial concerns are forcing me to sell my scoot (400EXC), but a buddy's gonna let me use his CR125 till I can get back on my feet (this guy's great!.:)
Since I ride mostly Desert and trails what would you suggest to set this thing up as best I can. Remember, I don't have a lot to spend..........

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
This is going to be a tricky one,the 01 Cr hasnt a good engine std and it has a 5 speed box that will make matters worse off road.Money and lots of it will make the Cr work better off road-sorry i cant help more.Have a ride and report back to us what areas need improving so we have some where to work from.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Sorry to hear you have to sell the 400EXC, I've been thinking about one of them for myself. Add an o-ring chain to a 125 mxer and you have a great trail bike, if you have the basic skills down. Don't waste your money on gadgets that just empty your wallet. As far as desert use for a 125, it depends upon your girth and the amount of loose sand. A few years ago I raced a 125 in a national qualifier in Nevada that continued to send us down sandwashes for special tests, although the bike was fast I had to keep the throttle PINNED and abuse the clutch alot. I thnk if I did much of that I would end up replacing alot of parts and repalce them often.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Coming from a torquey open-class 4-stroke I thing my biggest concern is getting some better low-end and broader spread of power. Would a flywheel weight kill a little motor like this? There's probably some after-market pipe that would spread the power....?

I don't mind screaming this thing-I'm just hoping there's a few things to help in this regard.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
To get a broader spread of power is hard to get on this engine.A cometic thin base gasket helps the bottom end but you will need 2 head gaskets to compensate for the extra compression.A pipe isnt a good investment on the Cr but the tailpipe can be replaced to give better power.I would advise EG porting as this is whats needed on the Cr IMO.A v force works well on the Cr but its all about cost verses performance.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
IMO-No 125 bike will be very good in the trails without a big bore kit that will allow you to lug it around in 2nd with still have enough low end grunt to climb back in the revs without downshifting and still have enough up top so you are not upshifting all the time. Can be done but if you are going to ride primarily trails I would consider buying a different bike.

89vett

Aug 6, 2000
KC,
I respectfully would have to say you are dead wrong.I know because I
use a 2000 CR125r for trail riding only.They don't have to be "lugged" around
if you know how to ride them properly.I sold a 2000 KDX 220 to get
the CR,and while the KDX is a great trial bike,I will say that the CR is much
more fun to ride.It does involve a little more clutch work,but if kept in the
power band properly,a CR125r will make quick work out of a KDX.The CR
is alot lighter,handles alot better,and has about the same amount of horsepower.Obviously the KDX has more torque.A quick sprocket change fixes the bogging down problem in 2nd gear.And a rear pipe helps also.
I ride with 300's,200's,250's and have no problem keeping up whatsoever.
You have to know how to ride a 125 to make it fun in the trails.
89vett
2000 CR125r

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
This bike be prepared to be on the pipe all the time to get the most out of it, sure you can lug it somewhat but the CR likes to load up with ease especially with the stock jetting. Get an o-ring chain asap it will need it, if the jetting is stock there will be some issue's there stock it was too rich you couldn't lug the bike without fear of it fouling the plug. I have a complete FMF setup with sst pipe power core 2 an turbine core 2 for the bike I'll sell ya cheap if your interested email me the parts are like new still. Be prepared to abuse the clutch alot with this bike especially on hills this is when the aparent lack of top end will be come most noticeable. You will pay dearly and abuse the clutch badly when this happens. Go to a 53 tooth rear sprocket it will help with bottom pick up. Be glad this bike handles good and has great suspension cause its lack of power and touchy jetting will make ya want to throw it off a cliff after awhile :p

Joe
'02 YZ125
'01 CR125

89vett

Aug 6, 2000
PTcruiser,
The CR DOES NOT have a weak or bad engine.That is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard.
The motor puts out approx 33 hp,which is on par with every other 125 except for the KTM.
If you know how to ride a motor,then you will be fine.I think the others who are arguing against
the 125 just don't know how to ride one properly.Yes,you will have to rev it up,yes you will have
to work the clutch al little more,so what.That's part of riding a dirt bike!
I absoulutely love my 00 CR125r,and I came off 2 KDX's.So I think I am qualified to give you a
educated response.
Good luck,
89vett
2000 CR125r

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
89vette

I certainly was not bashing the CR in particular as being a bad bike. I have been riding a 125 for several years now and trust me, I know how to keep it in the power band. The trails we have here in KC are mostly single track with lots of turns and very tight spots where you rarely even get out of 2nd gear. I was using this as a basis. I have several buddies that have YZF bikes and it takes a lot less effort to go fast through the woods. I have mine set up for MX so that might be why I feel this way but I would think the money would be better spent buying a different bike if all I was going to ride was trails.

Last edited:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I have to disagree once again, the last 3 bikes I have owned was 125's so I know how to ride a 125. The bike LACKS in the motor, it does not have bottom end it comes on EARLY in the midrange kinda tricks ya into thinking it has some bottom. if it doesn't its only a small amount, I feel the bike has really no top end it rev's out but it doesn't make more power than it did in the upper midrange was. Once I got the jetting sorta out ya it made it alittle better the biggest improvement was to throttle response though. I went as far as adding an FMF sst pipe and power core II standard for more top end. It just made the bike more pleasant. The power band just got alittle wider on the top which actually helped alot, it came on earlier on the bottom by a tiny bit but the biggest gain was in the midrange where the bike all ready had overkill in this area. I don't mind abusing the clutch it comes with the territory on a 125. Now it does have a 5 speed which may hurt it alittle offroad but only on flat out wide open sections. Compared to my YZ the CR's tranny felt like it was closer together this is just cause the YZ is that much more wider in power. The bike is no slug but you must keep it on the fat midrange to get the most out of it. I'm not dissing the bike in saying that it's slow, it just requires more rider input to keep it singing. Ride the bike a few times and you'll see what I mean.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom