Can dealers price haggle/..share your EXP.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
hang with me for a second on this....

era like Sept. 1994 I was 17.

I had saved my every dime possible for exactly two summers of work. I called Every Honda dealer in the back of every dirt bike rag looking for and quoting them for "the best cash deal-out-the-door"
I found a Honda dealer in libertyville ILL,(eric or ron might know who they are) that sold me a 1995 CR125 the day he got it.

MSRP was $4999

I got it for $3850 CASH out the door...I had Stacks of hundred's ...it ruled!!!. :aj:

the dealers can haggle,,,,man this was on the very day he got the pallet..they were making something,the salesman gets a (small) cut.... ya with me here.

there has got to be some more good stories out there
Crazy

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
My understanding is that they mark bikes up 10-15%. That would mean his cost on a $5000 bike was between 3500 and 4000 (I know, I'm a real math genius). If you subtract sales tax from your 3850 out the door price then he may have made $50-100. Not excactly a lot, but if you raced and stayed loyal to him he probably went on to make 200-400 a month from you! Much more markup in gear/parts. The parts guy at a dealer I work for told me they parted out a CRF50, normally a 1200 bike and if they rebuilt the entire bike from new parts it would cost over $20,000!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Dealer make waaay more on parts and accessory sales than bikes. The little bikes have miniscule markup and of course the bigger bikes have more room but still not generally mega bucks like a car dealer typically has with hold back and insentives.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
I don't know what there markup is on helmets but my 7r was priced at $275 and I picked it up for $200. I told them I had $300 to spend but I needed other stuff and they knocked off the $75.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I was out of state so I didnt pay sales tax. :moon:
But I did work @ a dealer once and EVERYTHING over $100 was at least a 100% markup.
I still shopped on the clearance rack.

Crazy

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Have been loyal to the same dealer for many years now. Although I always would like to get the best deal, I have no idea of their mark-up on bikes, and actually I suppose it's none of my business (it's sort of like someone asking me how much income I make.) Chose my dealer based on their off-road experience (very) and their loyalty to me....(backing up their product even with no written warranty.) I found that when it comes down to haggling over the last couple hundred bucks, if I can't get what I want.......that letting them know I buy lots of parts, asking for a parts discount to make the deal, works well.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
HajiWasAPunk said:
My understanding is that they mark bikes up 10-15%. That would mean his cost on a $5000 bike was between 3500 and 4000 (I know, I'm a real math genius).

You might want to work on your math skills a bit more. If his cost was $4000, 10% is $400 and 15% is $600, making the sale price either $4400 or $4600.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
we always call the same dealer tell him what we want and what we want to pay. He will then check it out and call us back with the best deal he can do for us. Our loyalty to him in both bike and parts purchases goes a long ways to making his deals virtually unbeatable. Plus he will do whatever he can do to see to it that we are able to race every weekend regardless of what we broke the week before

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
crazy4nitro said:
hang with me for a second on this....

era like Sept. 1994 I was 17.

I had saved my every dime possible for exactly two summers of work. I called Every Honda dealer in the back of every dirt bike rag looking for and quoting them for "the best cash deal-out-the-door"
I found a Honda dealer in libertyville ILL,(eric or ron might know who they are) that sold me a 1995 CR125 the day he got it.

MSRP was $4999

I got it for $3850 CASH out the door...I had Stacks of hundred's ...it ruled!!!. :aj:

the dealers can haggle,,,,man this was on the very day he got the pallet..they were making something,the salesman gets a (small) cut.... ya with me here.

there has got to be some more good stories out there
Crazy

I'm thinking you might be referring to Banzai Racing? If so, I bought a '95 RM250 from them, pretty cheap. I couldn't believe how much volume they were doing (sold several bikes just while I was there), and how many bikes they had. I still have the t-shirt somewhere.

FWIW, i'm pretty sure there ARE incentives and hold backs with dirt bikes...

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Motometal,
Yes your correct. I also got a discount on parts,at the time I bought everything from them.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
mx547 said:
i'm just wondering why at your age, you're riding a yz 85 now?

:)
I sold my CR for a down payment for collage. I picked this bike up for $500 as a project...Now I've got "the virus" again.

new bike coming the spring......

Crazy

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

Top Bottom