Can I get my Doc to prescribe Asterisks?

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I blew my knee out and I know that my surgeon will be writing me a perscritption for knee braces. I was wondering if that was possible with Asterisks....

Have the insurance companies blessed these braces yet?

Science

Nov 27, 2001
You'll have better luck getting a prescription for a CTI2. It doesn't make sense, but my insurance co paid $1300 for my CTI2, but wouldn't cover off the shelf braces. I bought a single Asterisk for my good knee.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I guess it's because they're not custom-made. It's the same as a helmet, boots, elbow guards ... they're considered protective equipment rather than an orthopaedic medical device. Wish I could get insurance coverage for a helmet. I'd get me a sweeeeet lid.

azyz250f

Aug 1, 2005
My doctor prescribed an off-the-shelf knee brace for my son. We ended up with the CTI morph. We tried it once, and it didn't work too well. We ended up buying two pairs of asterisks because my son and I both have knee injuries.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
They aren't considered "medical devices", therefore some of the ins. companies may not permit it.

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
azyz250f said:
My doctor prescribed an off-the-shelf knee brace for my son. We ended up with the CTI morph. We tried it once, and it didn't work too well. We ended up buying two pairs of asterisks because my son and I both have knee injuries.

what didn't you like about the morph's? i was actually going to look into them.

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
I guess I was fortunate , my Ins.co. believes in preventive medicine . My doc wrote a scrip and I got a custom fitted pair of CTI 's .. Although I have read that some say you should not wear them for prevention , only for an existing injury .

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
check into whether you Ins Co has a process for paying for "over the counter" items. i have Aetna Choice POS II and after calling they told me i could make the purchase and fill out the form for reimbursment.

I later talked with my ortho and he prescribed braces for me, so i didnt go the OTC route.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Although I have read that some say you should not wear them for prevention , only for an existing injury.

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Isn't that the same as buying a helmet AFTER you case the 100ft double and land on your head?

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
darringer said:
That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Isn't that the same as buying a helmet AFTER you case the 100ft double and land on your head?

No kidding, it took me about two minutes to convince the doctor i needed these for both knees as a preventative. he more of less asked my history of injury (one hyper-extension back in high school) and then asked what it was i do again!

he whipped out the script pad and asked how to spell them.

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Hey I don't have an existing injury and do where them . Don't shot he messenger , I'm just saying that I've read it more than once (I'll get the source of reason next time.). Some how I think your helmet ANALogy is to SIMPLY obivous .

+30

Aug 2, 2005
ol thread

Ok I know this is an old thread but I wanted to throw this out and see what you guys think...I have heard that wearing a rigid knee brace runs the risk of having your leg break at the point of contact with the brace. so then whats worse a femur or a knee? the worm can is now open.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Of course, the knee brace protects the knee by transmitting the load across parts of the leg where there is bone, femur or tib-fib. Do keep in mind that it takes much more force to break a bone such as the femur, or even the tib-fib for that matter, than it does to tear soft tissue, such as ACL, MCL, etc.

Soft tissue damage is usually much worse than a bone break. Soft tissue takes much more time to heal and will never be 100% again. To make it even worse, the healed soft tissue will be much more suceptible to reinjury. If given the choice, I'd rather break my femur, tib, and fib than tear anything in my knee.

This has been covered extensively in previous posts, search it.

The worm can is now closed.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I'll take the broken femur anytime over a knee injury.

Top Bottom