Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
Well i'll be 16 on may 17th, and the class i'd race in for h/s would be "W" which is 12-15. but i think i read somewhere were it is the age you are as of january 1. is this true? will i be eligible to race the "W" class? I was really hoping to make htis my first race season, and it'd be a real bummer if i couldn't race bc of my age.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Yes, you can race the W class because you will only be 15 on January 1st.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ok thank you. i was worried, because that is the only reason i'm keeping my kx100 instead of going to a 125, is so i can get some experience racing in the lower class, and i think i have a much better chance of my results.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Although I have never seen you ride, I will say that the kids in the W class are WAY fast, If you were to put them in a skill level class, many would be B riders( C being a beginner and AA being Expert/Pro) But good luck to you. :thumb:

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
Geee, thanks for "BOOSTING" my confidence there tom. JP. Well i didn't plan on them being slow, but i think i could prolly contend with most in the woods section, not sure on the mx part, never been on an mx track other than zeeland and my friends small personal track. but i've gotten pretty good at handling my bike int he air through the summer, and some practice and zeeland this summer. I hope i can do good, it's worth a shot. And no i don't plan on going out there and winning, but i don't wanna get womped on either. Only time can tell.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I am sure you'll do good. As the year goes on you will become much faster because you'll be riding with other guys your speed. Most of those kids don't go as fast in the woods as they do on the MX. So if you can whip them in the woods, and keep up on the mx, you'll be set. Will you be going to Portland? (Pretty sure it's the first race)

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Racer,

Tom is giving good advice and he should know.  He has lived it.   He started racing a few years ago and has battled from no trophies to winning his class.

The days of waiting for Tom on the trail are OVER.  I just hope he is willing to wait for me next year.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
lol. Thanks tom, yes portland will be on my list, it's only like a half an hour drive, so it's definantely the losest. it's like half way from gr to lansing right. and that's an hour, so half is about right. and if i drive 10 minutes, jp. i'm hoping to do them all except for the ones in traverse i might and might not. we have a cabin in mesick, and travers is only like 45 minutes tops from there, so i could stay there. but i'm not sure on how many i'll do. just wait and see. i'd like to do a lot though

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Portland is a good one to practice MX on because it is solid MX with an okay woods section. If you like technical trail, Traverse is your track. Lots of rocks and hills, and a ton of heat!!! I think after about 2 races you will probably make time to go. They are really fun and the people their are great.

Mike hey what can I say, I learned from the best. :thumb:

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ahh rocks and hills, i miss riding. Can you practice like during hte week, could i go to portland and ride? or is it only for racing? ANything i should know going into like, tricks of the trade or anything that may help me out.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
The only practice that you get is 1 parade lap before the race. And most of the time then it is hard to find good lines.
-Can you run one hour on your bike? If you can then you won't need to stop.
-When racing, being consistent with your lap times is better than hauling the mail for the first couple of laps and then being slower for the rest of the race.
-When and if a faster rider comes up behind you, get over asap. Nothing is worse than getting run off the track because you won't get out of the way. If you're thinking that they are going to run you off the track right away, don't worry. Just get out of the way when it's comfortable and safe.
-If you come up to somebody, just yell and they will move.
-A camel back is very important. But only put water in it.
-Try to drink about a little less than a gallon of water up to a 1/2 hour before the race on hot days. You won't get dehydrated and fatigued as much.
-Stretch good before you race so that you will move much easier and not cramp up.

Thats about all that I can think off.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ok thanks, most of that i already new, but thanks for the tips again. i have a hydration system already, so that's ok. i'll prolly stretch, i'll be sure to get up early so i can get some excercise in. OH MAN ALL THIS TALK, I CAN'T WAIT TO RACE NOW!!!

Top Bottom