Can I reuse rings?

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
suppose i take off my cylinder, measure everything, and its all withing spec. Can i just put the cylinder back on? will i have to break it in again?

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Why don't you just get new rings? they are not expensive. You need to order new gaskets anyways. Why are you disassembling in the first place? Did you try a compression test? Which bike?

Dec 8, 2007
I've done this alot. No break in required. I've also found that pistons and cylinders wear alot faster than rings, needle bearings and wristpins. If you took the piston off the conrod, then it's advisable to replace whichever circlip you removed with a new one. In a pinch I've even reused circlips by bending them back to their original shape, but this isn't the smartest thing to do. I've reused base gaskets and head o-rings with 100% success also.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
rings are the cheap part. Just replace them. One less thing to worry about.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Note to self. Never buy a bike from this guy. :whoa:

Never reuse rings. They may not look worn but if they have been run for any length of time, they are worn. Your piston rings are what seals your compression. Once they are disturbed, they lose that seal. The sharp edges of the ring wear when the piston rocks in the bore. You may not be able to see the wear with the naked eye but it is there. When that sharp edge is gone, so is your compression.

Like Pred said. The rings are the cheap part of a rebuild. Why in the world would you not replace them?

Dec 8, 2007
Note to self. Never buy a bike from this guy
Hey! My maintenance procedures are not dubious. :-)
Here's the point I was trying to make. Rings are reused every time you start the engine. If I took it apart and found everything still inside the manufacturers new specifications, then I believe that the engine has not been run enough to wear anything out, including rings. If things are worn outside of factory new tolerances or even outside the service limit, then usually, for me at least, the cylinder, piston, and ring need to be replaced, and that's what I do.

Now this is something I'm not really sure about. I've always thought that the old ring would seal better with the bore that it was "worn into", mainly because I thought that the exhaust gasses were pushing it down against the ring land and out against the cylinder wall during compression and power. That is assuming that ring end gap is not too big.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ignition retard said:
Here's the point I was trying to make. Rings are reused every time you start the engine.

Now this is something I'm not really sure about. I've always thought that the old ring would seal better with the bore that it was "worn into", .

It is very difficult to see the wear on your rings with the naked eye. When a ring is new, it starts out with sharp edges and a flat sealing surface. As the piston reaches tdc and bdc and changes position, it rocks a little bit. The rings also rock in the ring lands. When the bore and the piston wear, they rock even more. As the rings rock they wear the sharp edges down and eventually round off the flat surface of the ring. When this happens, compression can escape past the rings.

When a ring 'seats in' to the bore it produces little irregularities where dirt and grit get past the air filter and gets into the cylinder. These form microscopic scratches in the cylinder and corresponding scratches on the ring surface that match each other. When you remove a worn ring and reinstall the same ring, these microscopic irregularities don't line up any more. Now, you not only have worn edges and a rounded sealing surface but you also have many of these scratches and irregular areas letting your compression pass by the rings.

This is why the rings should be replaced every time the cylinder is removed even if the rings are fairly new. The cylinder should also be lightly honed to remove those small irregularities and insure the new rings have a smooth surface to seat against. (This is just my opinion and some piston manufactures suggest not honing the cylinder.)

The next time you remove your rings, inspect them through a magnifying glass or even better, a microscope. Then compare the used ring with a new ring. I guarantee you won't want to put the old ring back in your engine.

Loss of compression is one of the biggest factors in a poor running engine.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ol'89r said:
Loss of compression is one of the biggest factors in a poor running engine.
Amen to that! Now about them extra thin compressed gaskets being reused! There are things you can get away with in a pinch, cheaper, easier, but to be done in practice, and tell someone else that it is okay, is absolutely ridiculous! There is no way humanly possible to re-bend a circlip perfectly round again. Not to mention fixing the stress point where it bent at?

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
In my opinion it is only safe to reuse rings, if there is absolutely no way possible that she will find out!! Even then you are taking life into your own hands. :)

If I went through the trouble of cleaning the bike and disassembly, I would change every part I encounter including the reeds if it is a 2 smoke. I am just anal that way.

PS for those of you that are saying "hey the Cajun showed up" I am sitting here waiting on a storm. :laugh:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…