can i ride with out the fork boots?

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
I replaced my fork boots with neoprene velcro booties. The are wrap around booties that come up the fork about 3-4 inches. The look alot better than the stock boots. It also allows you to clean the seal area after every ride. Just unvelcro them and clean. Blow the water off and spray some WD or whatever on the seal area and the neoprene bootie ( after it is dry) before you put it back on. In my opinion this is better for the seal cause you can clean it and lube it, but it is hard on the fork shaft if you are constantly getting pinged by rocks from other riders. When I took my forks off to have them revalved, the metal ring that keeps the seal in place was really rusted, and there was a bunch of mud in the boot. Ever since I revaved about 6 months ago, the seal area looks like new. Good luck.

B.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
booties

Saw a buddies neoprene booties and thought they were a neat idea. When I replaced my fork seals, the gaiters were getting ugly so I took a couple of washcloths, (color co-ordinated, of course) and zip-tied them on the fork seal area. Been on a couple of rides, works OK, and easier to clean.

KDX Fill

Jan 24, 2002
When I bought my used 98 KDX 220 a few months back it did not have booties on it. I rode it twice and blew a fork seal. I wasn't crazy about the look of the rubber booties so I bought the neoprene covers. After one ride in some pretty muddy Pacific Northwest conditions I am returning them and asking for my money back. These things did nothing to keep the mud, sand or water off my fork seals. In fact, all they did was pack debris on top of the seal area. The boot allowed the material to come in but not back out. I am sure the neoprene bootie would work fine in dusty conditions but not in the mud.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…