mister laugh

Apr 30, 2007
Hey guys i usually just search for answers this forum is so great for that but i couldn't find an answer to this one.

My chain is too long for my bike, it is not beyond the service specified in my Honda manual, but the chain is tightened all the way back on the swing arm and there is still an unacceptable amount of slack in it, to ass to this i wanted to step down a tooth on the front sprocket, this will just not work. My question is can i break a link out of an O-ring chain without worry? and if i can any suggestions in what to look for when buying a chain breaker?

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
i have, but remember, you cant just take out 1 link, youll always take 2, so dont screw your self. lol, my chain breaker is a grinder and a punch. And also if the chain has stretched that far you may just wanna buy a new one. ?

mister laugh

Apr 30, 2007
The point is the chain is not stretched far at all it's stretch is still well within the tolerances set by my owners manual. I bought the bike used, i think the previous owned simply installed the wrong chain, so a file and a punch will do? i don't think i can screw myself by shortening it too much, i cant tighten it any more or my rear axle will fall off it how far the adjuster is out right now.

mister laugh

Apr 30, 2007
Hughes 097 said:
if grinding a link of the the chain dsoesnt work for you get a new chain and sproket set

That was the plan, i already have a new sprocket set. I don't see why it wouldn't work tho the chain looks like it was brand new when i bought the bike.

mister laugh

Apr 30, 2007
Thanks guys it worked great although that is the first and last time i will ever cut a chain with a file and punch it took FOREVER chain breakers are well worth the money. wow what a difference a 12 tooth sprocket makes versus a 13.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I was going to suggest you use a file and punch but it appears you have already done it. However, even with a chain breaker tool, you still need to grind the end off of the pin. So, instead of buying a chain breaker, it would be wiser to just buy a grinder and keep using the punch.

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
mister laugh said:
Thanks guys it worked great although that is the first and last time i will ever cut a chain with a file and punch it took FOREVER chain breakers are well worth the money. wow what a difference a 12 tooth sprocket makes versus a 13.

I hope you dont mean a hand file..lol, man use an electric grinder, very fast.

Top Bottom