Can not get bike on stand...

Oct 23, 2005
Just went and dropped 70 dollars on a bike stand to put my 92 xr250 on. I can not get the bike on the stand..... Its a heavy bike and I cant lift it by myself.. Is there any easy way to get the bike on the stand that Im missing? :bang:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
use one like this?? much easier on the back than lifting

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
You can grow a pair and man up... Lol. Just messing with you. Take it back and get a bike lift like the one above. makes it much easier....

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
wake_rider said:
You can grow a pair and man up... Lol.
I have trouble lifting my sons 450F up on the stand since Yamaha no longer has the hand holes in the side number plates and when the bike is hot I always end up with burned knuckles from grabbing at the bottom and hitting the pipe
Strange thing is we were at a race a few months back and pitted next to us was this cute young girl about 5 ft nothing and maybe 90lbs soaking wet. She came back from the track and no one from her group was there so I figured I would give her a hand putting her 250F on the stand. By the time I was able to work my way out of the lawn chair she had flipped her hip into the bike and had it up on the stand. I gracefully slid back into the chair.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
oldguy said:
I have trouble lifting my sons 450F up on the stand since Yamaha no longer has the hand holes in the side number plates and when the bike is hot I always end up with burned knuckles from grabbing at the bottom and hitting the pipe
Strange thing is we were at a race a few months back and pitted next to us was this cute young girl about 5 ft nothing and maybe 90lbs soaking wet. She came back from the track and no one from her group was there so I figured I would give her a hand putting her 250F on the stand. By the time I was able to work my way out of the lawn chair she had flipped her hip into the bike and had it up on the stand. I gracefully slid back into the chair.

Dirtbike chicks rock...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's all about leverage.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
lift the front tire up and over the stand- its usually the easiest- you have more leverage
start working out a lil more - maybe a lil strengh will help

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Just a word of advice...that FMF stand pictured is the biggest POS to ever end up in my garage. There are some much better leverage stands out there. That FMF stand falls right in line w/ their usual less-than-stellar quality. All mine does now is collect dust.

May 10, 2007
CR Swade said:
Just a word of advice...that FMF stand pictured is the biggest POS to ever end up in my garage. There are some much better leverage stands out there. That FMF stand falls right in line w/ their usual less-than-stellar quality. All mine does now is collect dust.

i use one and have never had a problem with it.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Mine worked fine until the plate started to bend on its own and once it does, the thing is shot. The temper on that cheap metal palte is horrible and it will continue to bend, allowing your bike to lean and fall. FMF=POS

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
oldguy said:
By the time I was able to work my way out of the lawn chair she had flipped her hip into the bike and had it up on the stand. I gracefully slid back into the chair.

I hate it when that happens. :rotfl:

That's the key.

Like Okie and Pred said, leverage and it's in the hips.

Stand on the opposite side of the exhaust pipe and grab under the seat or rear fender and lean the bike against your leg and hip. Using your leg and hip as a lever, lift the rear of the bike off the ground and onto the stand.

With a little practise you will be able to do it just as good as that little girl. :nod:

Many of us vertically challenged riders have a hard time getting the bike on the stand, especially with them getting taller and taller. Now, if your are the size of Pred, you just grab the bike by the gas tank with one hand and put it anywhere you want to. :laugh:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
or use your kickstand

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Get on the front brake hard, into a stoppie, swing rear end over and onto stand. It really turns some heads........but get's you laughed at when it doesn't work. So far, I've only been laughed at.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Kick Stands RULE! Motorcycle and ATV type jacks are nice too. The craftsman one weighs like 90lbs though, I use a tie down strap to pull mine around, then just a few pumps of the foot can lift an 800 lb bike. Also, clamp down your front brake, it will help you lift the bike. Man I love those Yamaha side plate handles, they make all the differance.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Get on the front brake hard, into a stoppie, swing rear end over and onto stand. It really turns some heads........but get's you laughed at when it doesn't work. So far, I've only been laughed at.

True.

I went to cycle gear and bought a "Trackside" lift stand for cheap and it has worked perfectly. It's on sale for $59 right now, I don't think you can find much cheaper than that.
lpgm.cfm

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Instead of trying to "deadlift" the whole bike. Try and lift the rear end off the ground, with the majority of the weight on the front tire, just enough to slide your stand under it, or move the bike over the stand.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
for my 250(with the handles under the seat) i put the stand on the shifter/clutch side of the bike, then i stand on the brake side, grab the front brake, rock the bike forward to get a little weight off the back, then with a knee/thigh lever movemnt swing/lay the bike onto the stand. the hard part is gettin the stand all the way under the bike, once that is done, you can finagle the bike around to get it seated a little better. my two cents for the discussion

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
Just ride a wheel up over it and stop it there man thats what i always do. Just kidding but that would be cool though! Like everyone else is saying, its all in the hips

yz125MArider

Feb 12, 2008
Iv seen those lift one for cheap and might pickup one, i think like 50-60bucks. I first had a problem like that when i bought a stand for my yz125 but i was younger like 15 or something and wasent strong enought. Just grab the rear from reaching a hand over the other side and pick it up and like huck it over the stand,

Top Bottom