can of worms: my old F9 vs modern 250

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I have been building a 1972 Kawasaki F9 350. I used to have one for years, but it was stolen 4 years ago. I also recently picked up a '93 KX250 that needs some engine work. In bull****ting with my friend, who owns a DR350 he was telling me that the KX will be so much faster than my F9 that Ill never ride the F9 after the KX was done. (Ive riden modern bikes before, I know all about the crazy power bands, wheelies in every gear if your not carefull, etc etc.)
My reply was that of course the KX250 would kick the F9s ass on an MX track, but as for sheer power, I told him that I could keep up with a modern 250 on flat, open ground, or say a 1/4 mile drag strip.(he didnt think so) Keep in mind, while a stock F9 was only rated at 33 hp, if you had the 'power pack' (Factory speed kit) HP was increased to 45.(IVe got that) Beyond that Ive got MAJOR port work done on the F9, and the intake disc is custom grinded a bit beyond the kit specs.
I had the same setup on my last F9, and it ran like a scalded ape!
CHrist, Ive seen 30 year old Bultacos at the short tracks that were pumping out MASSIVE power (not the ones with YZ250 motors installed on the old frames mind you, but the big, heat finned monsters) We've known how to make power for years, the major advantages these days are light weight, and suspension, and disk brakes. (Maybe I should scrap the KX motor and put the F9 in the KX fame...heh heh...)
Comments anyone?

Top Bottom