Can somebody explain powdercoating to me?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I hate to be annoying this bright sunday morning, but could somebody explain powdercoating to me? Wizard69 just powdercoated his frame, and I'm considering doing my rims. Does it increase strength AND add weight? How is it done/applied? Is it hard to clean something that's powdercoated? Will it last forever? I know I ask a lot of questions, but I truely appreciate any response.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Powder coat is a cosmetic coating (just like paint). It will not add appreciable strength, but does look nice and is very durable. It cleans up like any other painted surface, basically. It will add weight, but nothing that any "mortal" could notice. Forever is a long time...I would say that it is very durable and will last well though.

The Rock

Nov 25, 2001
Powercoating will last for a long time and is very clean, looks very nice and durable. Imagine it as a THICK polished nice paint job. When it is applied it is baked on. The material is applied and then the part in thrown in an oven (boiler room) at 400 degrees, so make sure you remove any seals, rubber etc. before powercoating or they will melt.

Just to give you an idea how durable it is, you can actually powercoat a car motor block, and will with stand the heat. I powercoated a bunch of engine parts on an old mustang I had a was very satisfied.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
suzuki used to powder coat there motors but stoped due to the way it held in heat
I had fun taking every thing off the bike because I learned a lot and at the same time did all my bearings.
I got mine done gloss black and it looks so nice it looks like a shiny car paint job but it won't scratch as easy
I don't know how rims would work I know the paint is hard to get off (cleaning off motor mounts)but rims always hit stuff like rocks and sticks
I am very happy with my frame and if there is anybody who has don'e rims
and liked it I want to hear from them I might just do my rims now
later:cool:

Last edited:

wizard69

May 3, 2001
I just did a search on it and jtt said that they get scratched when changing tires thats something I never thought of
does anyone make rubber coated tire irons ?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
If you want to change or add color to your rims have them anodized. Dont paint them. The colored excel rims are anodized, that should give you a little to go on. A friend of mine had an aluminum frame CR anodized and it looked great.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
were can I get my rims anodized
how much does it cost?
how do they do it?
how durable is it compared to powdercoating?

wizard69

May 3, 2001
this is a dumb question but what are stock rims made of I don't think you can get aluminium powdercoated
maby I'm wrong

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Powercoating is very good for certian things, most definitely not rims. Although strong, a 2 part epoxy paint is much more chip resistant that powdercoating.
You will probably pay around 100 dollars for both rims.
I got my rims anodized for 30 a piece and this stuff is invincible! IT does not scratch and looks good as excells(even better since it is a "Deeper" color. The aluminium does not shine through like in excells).
I have seen polished and chrome plated hubs and not only is it a PITA to do , it is a PITA to keep up. Try anodizing your hubs too.
Most platers can do anodizing.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Powdercoat paint is simply paint in a powder form that has to be melted to the item and then baked to cure. An electric charge is used to allow the part to attract the paint powder as it's being sprayed.
Anodizing of aluminum is more of a chemical treatment of the metal, than a topical application like paint.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…