Can someone give me a hand here????

djmartin

Apr 25, 2010
NEW PICS of my cracked cylinder ughhh

First off this is my first post as I just found this awesome site tonight. I wanted to post earlier but have spent the last 4 hours just reading post after post etc....
I LOVE THIS SITE!!! To many times have I had to resort to going to the dealer for a fix and after being charged a fortune everytime I am now going to start doing things myself.
Heres my dilema, I recently bought a 1999 CR125 and thought I was getting a decent deal. It was never raced and garage kept but it had a problem with a small hairline crack around one of the mounting holes for the cylinder. It runs about 1 inch long. He just had it rebuilt and hadn't even put oil back in it yet so the crack thing was somthing he didn't want to fool with as he lost interest in riding. I assume I can have someone tig weld this crack and be back in action. I have taken off the 3 cylinder head nuts off and this thing will NOT come off. I was going to take it and have it welded but is there a trick to getting this thing off?????????? thanks guys!!!!

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There are 4 cylinder nuts. The last one is under a cover for the power valve cover on the right side. Even after getting that off it may be stuck to the gasket. A couple of hits with a rubber mallet will loosen it up.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Get yourself a Factory Service Manal, best bucks you will ever spend. It will give you plenty of detail on how to take apart and install every nut and bolt on your CR. Service Honda a sponsor of this awesome site has them for VERY fair prices.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
How did the cylinder break? How did it get put back together this far? And if its the lug, the place where the nut tightens down, it is very crucial to sealing up. I really do not know if this can get fixed? Weld it back on, then face the lug area, and bottom of the cylinder so they are parallel again? Tough job to do properly. Vintage Bob

djmartin

Apr 25, 2010
Guys you are awesome. I removed the power valve cover and disengaged it removed the final nut and she came right off...... The cylinder is not broke it just has a hairline crack that runs around one of the mounting holes so maybe someone tried to tighten it to much or ? I guess when the bike was running it leaked water out of this crack. One more question and I will be set. I don't someone ruining my cylinder so what should I tell them when i take it to get it welded? i have heard stories about them being ruined etc.... You guys have already saved me one trip to the dealer!!!!!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
djmartin said:
. I don't someone ruining my cylinder so what should I tell them when i take it to get it welded? i have heard stories about them being ruined etc..

Do some research. Call you local dealers or race shop and ask them who does their aluminum welding. Any tig welder experienced in aluminum welding should be able to repair your cylinder. Make sure he grinds out the crack first before he welds it. If he bolts the cylinder in place on the cases first, before he welds the crack, there should be minimal warpage on the base surface.

Good luck.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Ol'89r said:
Do some research. Call you local dealers or race shop and ask them who does their aluminum welding. Any tig welder experienced in aluminum welding should be able to repair your cylinder. Make sure he grinds out the crack first before he welds it. If he bolts the cylinder in place on the cases first, before he welds the crack, there should be minimal warpage on the base surface.

Good luck.

Wow, really? I dun figerd it wer junk.

djmartin

Apr 25, 2010
Yeah I thought it could be fixed. Its about 1-2 inches long and runs from the base of the cylinder up around the mounting hole and back down the other side. I don't see why that if you put a heavy weld along the crack nothing can come out. it might not be pretty but who actually sees that???? Im not experienced in this but it seems somthing as minor as a crack can always be welded up or sealed?

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That is the refurb price Joe. If the cylinder is truly good, money in the bank. I have seen cylinders go a lot cheaper! Fleabay, you may not get what you pay for. I figure they are junk. If it has issues, send it to Forward Motion for repair. My guess, your cylinder, unless you get a good welder, that understands what he is welding, it will be a paper weight. Figuring again, that is the worst stud to have an issue sealing at. Vintage Bob

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
You can't just put a heavy weld along the crack. The crack has to be 'VEE'd' out, or in other words, ground out to a V about 3/4's of the way through the material. Then the remaining material has to be fusion welded together and the 'V' has to be filled with rod.

More important than repairing it, is finding out what caused it. If the engine had a catastrophic failure/seizure at one time and tried to lift the cylinder off of the cases, the cylinder may be toast. If the crack is only in the water jacket then, it may be able to be fixed. Make sure the bore is in good condition first and the skirt of the bore is not cracked.

A picture would be nice.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
just send the whole cylinder in to a cylinder repair shop. That's your best chance of getting a quality repair that won't give you trouble further down the road. I personally recommend langcourt, but powerseal, millennium, etc. are all good reputable cylinder repair experts.

Top Bottom