builder2002

Jun 22, 2009
I just got a 1989 yz490 from my buddy. he says it is in pretty good shape. the problem i'm having is that every time that i turn on the gas there is a hose fitting at the bottom of the carb that just pours out ot a drip but constant gas. i was wondering if some one can help me out. is this correct or do u think something is messsed up in the carb. please help new bike owner.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
float valve is stuck. That's the bit that stops the fuel from entering the carb once the bowl has filled to the preset height. If it's been sitting for a time it could be just stuck, sometimes a few light taps on the carb bowl will stop it overflowing. Otherwise you need to take the bowl off and check if the valve is still in usable condition.

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
julien_d said:
float valve is stuck. That's the bit that stops the fuel from entering the carb once the bowl has filled to the preset height. If it's been sitting for a time it could be just stuck, sometimes a few light taps on the carb bowl will stop it overflowing. Otherwise you need to take the bowl off and check if the valve is still in usable condition.
100% correct same exact thing happened to my cr250 and rm250 when i replaced the reeds.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
YZ490 oh, my

Take off the carb and clean it out, especially if this bike has been sitting. Your float valve is set too high or has gunk in it.

That bike is a BEAST! Goes like a flamming monkey in a straight line. :yikes: Turning....not so much.

builder2002

Jun 22, 2009
help me

Thank you very much for the tip. now i will read the book to tell me how to do that. the knowledge is much apprieciated. :cool:

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Some carbs have a drain screw on the bowl. If its cracked open at all it can spew gas. I believe it even drains out a hose that looks like an overflow.

Top Bottom