Can this cylinder be saved? With pics...

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Well, I was riding in Croom, and on the second day, this happens out of nowhere it seems. I had just put in a new topend, had about 10 hours tops on it by this time, had just put in a new right hand crank seal, and was trying to get the the jetting sorted out. Basically it was just kinda loading up here and there, but by the time this happened, the bike was running great, though the plug was black.
Well, I'm riding, and I feel what seems to be the plug starting to foul up on me, so I gun it to see if I can clean it out a little. Well, as soon as I slow down, the bike shuts off, I'm thinking just pop in a new plug and I'm good. Well, I go to kick it, looking for TDC, and the kicker is just flopping around. :bang:
I pop the head off when I get back to camp, and this is what I find. There's some coolant it seems on the head, and past the o-rings on the cylinder. And a deep gash on the cylinder.

CroomPictures016.jpg

CroomPictures014.jpg

CroomPictures013.jpg

That plug by the way is a new one, not a cooked one. The plug was black when this happened, so it was still running a little rich, which I would say it was. Jetting was 160, 1st clip, 50, and one turn out.
So mainly, I'm wondering how the heck this happened, and if the cylinder can be saved, or should I just look around for a used one to have replated and all?
I'm thinking that the head got a little loose and some cooland leaked in. I had torqued it to specs when I put the piston in, be hadn't rechecked it afterwards. :coocoo:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yes it is repairable but may need to be welded. US Chrome can do it for you.

It looks more like the C-clip came out and jamed between the piston and the cylinder wall. Have you removed the piston yet to see?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
what RM_GUY said, it can be fixed but you may do better checking that auction site for a new or used one that is in good condition. One thing i dont like it your jetting, for some reason whenever I had the clip on the 1st slot for the needle I always ran into some sort of problems, maybe its just RM's I'm not sure but I always make sure its dialed with it on the 3rd clip or at the most 2nd from the top.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Nah, with it on the second clip, I could idle around on the pilot all day, but if I tried to rev it up, it would get extremely loaded up in the mid range and just foul a plug. After putting it to the 1st clip, I could idle for a while, and then still be able to rev it up and move out. It does sorta look like the c-clip also, because of what's sitting at the very top of the cylinder.
Do I send this straight to US Chrome, or should I send it some a shop or something, and have them send it somewhere. I don't think anything would have fallen into the bottom end either though.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
SoFlo said:
Nah, with it on the second clip, I could idle around on the pilot all day, but if I tried to rev it up, it would get extremely loaded up in the mid range and just foul a plug. After putting it to the 1st clip, I could idle for a while, and then still be able to rev it up and move out. It does sorta look like the c-clip also, because of what's sitting at the very top of the cylinder.
Do I send this straight to US Chrome, or should I send it some a shop or something, and have them send it somewhere. I don't think anything would have fallen into the bottom end either though.
I meant move the clip down and re-jet the pilot and main so its tuned in, On all my RM's when ever it was on the first clip i always ran into problem for some reason, when your moving the clip up on the needle your leaning it out, so just lean out the pilot some more and move the clip down

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
No, because then I'll have more problems starting the bike, having it idle down quick or slow, idleing it, etc. I think where it's jetted good is where it's good, not just to stay away from certain jets or clips. I'm still a little rich as it is, the plug was black so I don't think I've got any lean problems.
I'm going to pop the cylinder off on Monday and I'll have some pics up.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
could the damage possibly a ring turned on the piston and did that? Just a thought as well

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
It might be just as cheap to go with a big bore kit(new sleeve,plating and piston kit to match the new bore) might look up Kustom Kraft on the net-they have done a few for me and I was very saticfied!! :nod:

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
I believe eric gorr is still taking orders. Why don't you send it to him and get it bored out :)

The person who was talking about the c clip thing, yeah that happened to me once and my cylinder looked exactly like that.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
I put the c-clip in the right way though, clicked all the way into the groove, and pointed either up or down, not sideways. I'm just going to leave it a 250, it'd be easier to sell it when I do.

The piston there in the pic had about 10 to 12 hours on it, is that too much carbon build up? It was running rich alot of the time, since I was in the process of jetting it. It was starting to get clean towards the end then this happened.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Pull the jug. See if the clip is in the piston. If it isnt that would probably be the culprit. If you cant find it anywhere in the top end it its more then likly in the bottom end.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
SoFlo said:
...Do I send this straight to US Chrome, or should I send it some a shop or something, and have them send it somewhere. I don't think anything would have fallen into the bottom end either though.
Send it directly to US Chrome. They'll do the welding, boring and plating themselves. Just send a piston with the cylinder so the get the clearance right. Call them first and they can let you know exactly what you need to do.

I'm still betting it's the C-clip. Your jetting sounds rich.

Top Bottom