can u pressure wash an "O" ring chain?

MadiV

Feb 8, 2006
hey, im in need of new chain and sprockets and i am told "O" ring chains are overall better then non "O" ring chains. Can u use a presure washer on an "O" ring chain like u do on a non"O" ring chain?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
It's not a good idea to pressure wash either type of chain from very close, as it forces water into the bearing surfaces of the chain.

If you mean can you rinse it off with the pressure washer from a couple feet away so the pressure isn't very high, and water won't be forced into the bearing surfaces, then yes, it won't hurt it. Don't stick the wand inches away from either chain type and blast away, as this isn't good for any chain.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I stopped using an o-ring chain because no matter how hard I tried to keep the pressure washer away from it, I just couldn't and once water gets past the o-rings the chain is soon to be toast. There is nothing you can do to save it at that point.

With a non-O-ring chain you can blast it all you want with a pressure washer. In fact, the more the better. It gets all the gunk out from inside it. Just make sure you hit it with a good shot of WD40 to drive the water away from the internal bearing surfaces. Then when it's all dry apply a good dry lube chain lube like MX1000. It leave absolutely no sticky residue to attract dirt.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Good god, just wash the damned thing, lubricate it, adjust it and ride. Don't pay any mind to RM"nancy"guy either :blah: . He can't hardly get outta first gear going down hill with a tail wind, so chain wear ain't exactly an issue for him :p :moon:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Papakeith said:
...He can't hardly get outta first gear going down hill with a tail wind, so chain wear ain't exactly an issue for him :p :moon:
When ever I ride with you I have to leave it in first gear :rotfl: :nener:

Let's :ride:

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
If you lube the o-ring chain while it is hot (right after you ride), the lube will go into the chain & stick better.
Why do you feel the need to pressure wash a chain? Just spray it down. If you must, get a chain brush.
RAD DAD

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Most of the time it's an unintentional hit with the pressure washer that causes the trouble. Like I said in my post, I'd rather not deal with it and now I use a non-O-ring chain.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I too gave up on o-ring chains because I never had one that out lasted a non o-ring chain. Moreover, I notice when I wash my bike, the rear tire spins freely with the non o-ring chain, while an o-ring chain doesn't allow the tire to spin freely.

I'm sure that drag is robbing power.

And I've ridden with both Papakeith and RM_Nancy. Well, I ride and they lube their chains, as well as other things.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
CaptainObvious said:
...And I've ridden with both Papakeith and RM_Nancy. Well, I ride and they lube their chains, as well as other things.
Oh yeah, you're that guy we always have to wait for at trail intersections. :p :laugh:

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
larosche said:
I
Why do you feel the need to pressure wash a chain? Just spray it down.

pressure washing a chain will do the same thing that pressure washing the rest of your bike will do; make it look clean while forcing water past seals into places it shouldn't be and turning your bike to junk faster. if you rebuild your bike every week, it makes sense to pressure wash it, but i would still be careful with the chain. i just use a hose and a soft scrubbrush, and i use a lube that's not too sticky and goopy.

mw

Top Bottom