RECENT POSTS

Can you make a 2-stroke street legal?

I was wondering if you could convert a 2 stroke to make it legal because I saw that most conversion kits are for 4 stroke bikes. Are there any emission laws in Missouri preventing me from converting.

Sorry mate, I can't tell you about laws in Missouri, but what I can tell you is where I live all you need is lights and an optional extra, a speedo. You can buy lighting kits for 2-strokes.

One of my riding buddies has a 2002 KTM 300 that is plated in Missouri. State Highway Patrol is your only true source to determine what is 'legal'. It's been some time but I had 2 strokes plated in the 80's. Check w/highway patrol and let us know waht you find out.

My KDX200 is street legal. It has the required rear view mirror, headlamp, brakelamp, and horn.. which was a kit, plus DOT approved tires. Get the quietest silencer you can, and have your local DMV inspect it. Most of the little old ladies don't know a 2 stroke from a 4 stroke, it just meet all the requirements. Don't ask don't tell, and you'll be ripping down mainstreet before you know it.

depends on where you live. I got a 2 stroke gas gas legal 2 days after i got it in georgia.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
KDX is legal, KLX is not I believe. Other two strokes usually aren't able to be made legal unless they are alot older. Here in the fine state of CA, if you get one registered, you slipped through the cracks usually. It's a matter of emissions.

your first trip down main street will run about a 1000 bux by the time you get the kit, stator, tires, tag, taxes,,i am considering the same thing though... does anyone know if you have to have a speedometer?

i am not sure about your state but dont go to the cops they may steer you wrong talk to the service department at your dealer.baja designs makes kits for just about every thing,i just did my cr500 its great.a dual sport bike sells for 1,000 more than a stock one.they can also advise you on rules for your state.they do bikes all over in and out of the country.i mounted a speedo for a byecycle it gives all kinds of info and cost less than 30bucks it uses a magnite on the wheel as a pick-up you just have to set it for your wheel dia. it tells you how to do it.

you should move to Australia. We have CR 500's street legal, YZ 250's street legal KTM 300's street legal as well as XR 650's, WR 450's KTM 520/450 4 strokes all street legal off the shelf.

woodsy

Mi. Trail Riders
Hi Arrow Mate:
Sounds like you guys have got it made down there!! Do you have ALL these bikes "legal off the shelf"? Does that mean that you folks have access to new CR500's and YZ250'S with lights and stuff on them - ready for the road?? I have a KX500 that I have legalized here in Michigan - I spent alot of time and effort to build it and would be shocked to here that the manufacturers are producing street legal MX bikes and not making them accessable to the USA!! If you do have them down there maybe you and I could setup an "underground" import service!!
Woodsy

Woodsy:

maybe this link here may shed some light to your question:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/CRE500/ads.htm

woodsy said:
Hi Arrow Mate:
Sounds like you guys have got it made down there!! Do you have ALL these bikes "legal off the shelf"? Does that mean that you folks have access to new CR500's and YZ250'S with lights and stuff on them - ready for the road?? I have a KX500 that I have legalized here in Michigan - I spent alot of time and effort to build it and would be shocked to here that the manufacturers are producing street legal MX bikes and not making them accessable to the USA!! If you do have them down there maybe you and I could setup an "underground" import service!!
Woodsy

Yep my KX250 is streetable- I ride it on the street all the time. Sure am glad my next door neighbor is the commander of the local GSP post and rides both dirt and street. Amazing how easy it was to get the kx "streetable" under those circumstances. :) Although I don't think I will be taking it down main street (or the main highway) anytime soon! DIrt roads will be just fine for me thank you very much. :)

Man I envy you dudes I mean mates down in OZ!

yep mate you can roll up and buy a YZ 250 with lights and a complience plate all ready to roll and legaly ride on the roads.

The CR 500 E was a limited edition with the last of the 500's but there were a few put out. A company here in oz YZR engineering do the convestion kits for the YZ's we have has 2001/2003 and new 2004 YZ 250 2 strokes legal for the streets.
They also make the WR 400's, 426's and 450's legal for the roads thats the only way you get them full street legal.
Same deal with the KTM's there is KTM 200,250 and 300 2 stroke EXC's are all street legal and the 400,450, 520, 525 4 stroke EXC's are all legal to ride on the streets off the showroom floor

There is a differance between what is "legal" according to DOT, and what is "legal" according to EPA. You should know that anything that is not EPA approved is actually illegal from a Federal standpoint. They (EPA) are watching this, by reviewing state registrations, and will not get involved unless it gets to some arbitrary number that they decide. I got this from a dealer that has had this discussion with people in these agencies. In summary, don't ask...don't tell works for now............

a454elk

Mexicutioner
Never seen a CR500 street legal, but hey, stranger things have happened. The last 2 stroke street legal bike here in CA was the Yamaha and it was a street only race bike in the early 80's. Speedo depends on the state, the main reason for them is the Odometer only, for the purpose of tracking the mileage on sales. You can get by with an Odometer here in CA only, that's all that's required. Riding a 2 stroker on the street could be real fun for sure, hold on!!