Can you over oil an air filter??

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
My questions is can you over oil an air filter?

I have a KX 250 and before the last time that I rode, I cleaned and oiled the air filter. I saturated the air filter with oil and used up almost 1/2 of a can. It was heavly saturated. After I installed the oiled air filter, there was alot of oil leaking out of the air box. I heard that a 250 can sometimes suck excess oil out of the air filter. Is this true? Any suggestions on how to oil the air filter enough to protect the engine but not over saturate it?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by VinnyTAMU
My questions is can you over oil an air filter?

Yes

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
I use oil that has a dye in it so I can tell when the foam is completely oiled. I use as little as possible to acheive this.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
you said you used a half bottle of oil, did you squeeze out the excess oild before re-installing it??

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
What I do is get a big clean plastic bag,put your filter in it . Pour a lot of filter oil into the bag onto the filter , squeeze it around making sure the filter is completely saturated. Carefully cut a small corner of the bag so it acts like a funnel, squeeze the bag and filter to get as much oil back into the bottle. Open the bag up and get the filter into its original shape but leave it in the bag for a few.

While the solvents are evaporating from your filter oil is a good time to check your tires ,spokes ,rims, break pad thickness, and adjust your chain and lube . Clean hands put on those latex doctor gloves , grab the filter, mop up the little bit of the excess oil that is still in the bag with it and install.

Gallon size Ziplock bags work great and scissors are best to cut the small corner funnel. For some reason it just doesn't work as well trying to close the ziplock back almost all the way and using that as the funnel.

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
I use a sport gatorade bottle (the one with a cap), I pour my filer oil in the sport bottle.

Then it's easy to put it evenly on the air filter massaging it so it will gets everywhere. No spill, No waste and a perfectly oiled filter.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Thanks those are two geat ideas, I will have to give those a try this weekend.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…