Can you use a battery instead of a stator

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
I made my 1985 yz250 street legal, the only problem is the lighting coil I bought from moose was junk and wouldn't get the bike started. Ive went through all the trouble of rewinding the stator myself, now the bike will start and run great, but I'm still working on the lighting side of the coil. Ive rewound it with 2 different wire sizes and nothing will work good enough to keep my battery charged. Im using a rectifier/regulator on the system and a 4 amp/hour battery. the battery max's out at 13v, after full charge though it only gets to 12.62v. what Im wanting to know is if I can make the whole coil a lighting coil(minus the pulser coil obviously) and just run the cdi off of the battery. any help or ideas would be great.

T_Bois

Sep 13, 2009
I'm not sure what you would will gain by doing this. What you really need is a stator that puts out enough power to run lights, charge the battery, and has a little left over in case you add a few things or have a dead battery.

If you rewound the stator, did you use the same number of turns? I know there are a number of people that have rewound their stators and are increasing the number of turns to get more output to power higher wattage lights or more accessories (increasing the wire size doesn't increase the output wattage, increasing the number of winds does). The real question would be many additional winds you can add. You may also need to get a heavy duty regulator to power everything.

Check a few other sites (try thumpertalk), I'm sure your not the only one that has rewound a stator for more output.

What happened to the Moose stator?

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
the moose stator measured 139 ohms when it should have 157-192 and wouldn't start the bike, it had spark but it was VERY weak. I matched the magnet wire sizes to what moose used and when I rewound the lighting part of the stator I was able to add 10 extra turns(65 per pole). It definitely works because my battery ran dead but when I would rev the bike up the brake light would get stronger. I'm just not getting enough power out of the two poles that I used for lighting. I'm figuring that if I use all 6 poles for the lighting coil, it would be enough power to run the bike and power the lights. I just don't know if the DC voltage will fry the cdi which I think uses AC voltage. by the way Im using a bajadesigns reg/rec. that is rated at 160 watts. thanks for the input, I think Ill try thumpertalk too

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom